Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 20-09-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
juld0zer

Car: nothing :(
calcium batteries

hi guys,
just a question - got a new supercharge gold battery the other day. its a calcium-calcium type and i've heard that some alternators cant charge them properly and most older type battery chargers wont charge them properly either.

i've concluded that i will need a new battery charger anyway, but i was wondering if the alternator in a 2003 323 will be compatible with this new battery or will i need an upgrade somewhere? i've also read that not charging the new battery or using it with the correct alternator can void warranty/shorten its lifespan.. true?

the stock battery (which seems to have lasted 6 years) afaik is just a conventional lead acid battery with no fancy calcium inside or anything.

cheers in advance!
juld0zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 27-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I had an ACDelco calcium battery in my 2003 323 Astina for a couple years with no problems before I sold it. Why are you concerned about charging the battery though? Do you leave the car sitting 6 weeks at a time without running the engine? If you have a healthy battery and alternator you should never need to charge your battery if you are driving the car regularly enough.

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
juld0zer

Car: nothing :(
awesome, thanks for that!
i just read on some other forums that calcium batteries need different chargers to fully charge properly *confused*
still starts all the time so im not worried
juld0zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
It's just a way to sell you crap.

Older batteries, just had a very low calcium percentage

cost of lead and other consumable metals means they have been looking and developing lower cost batteries - EG making higher profit margin. But batteries say for BA astina trade price is around 90-110 for maintance free type, last time I looked

Go back 5 years or I think say around 2000 it was 80.

They are just going ot keep going up.

A baby 340CCA for 626 use to cost me trade Maintance free -only $60. Now Non -Maintance free is $60.

One advantage of the newer type is less acidic but still every type of principle for lead acid battery applies to this type.
I saw the listing prices for your pacific battery 6-8 months ago. Most people are going to struggle to see them under $100 in the future.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote