Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 13-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
Kafkas

Motor Tapping 1.8 BA

Went for a cruise the other night (Melb-Geelong-BacchusMarsh-Melb)
As I was approaching Werribee (down to 60km/h) I could hear tapping from the motor.
I don't it helps cruising at "approx" 140.
Needed oil!
Its been happening alot lately even at 'legal' speeds.
I probably need to add 3 or so litres every 10,000kms.
I can't see it blowing smoke, and its not leaking...
Oh yeah, its done 240,000!
Time to trade in, or what fix?

Help?
Kafkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #2
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
driving an engine that eneds oil will and has worn out your HLAs
I bet you will find now that even after you put oil in, it will continue to tap Its irreversible without pulling the valve covers ond cams off and then you can replace them.
Driving with low or no oil is like giving an arthritis shot to your car
If you are going through oil and the car doesn't leak then you ARE burning it whether you've seen it or not
9 times out of 10 its usually valve seals to go first
Be ice to your engine and it wil be nce to you
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Kafkas

Thanks
Kafkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
AstinaBoiV6

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to AstinaBoiV6
while on the subject of tapping how do you replace noisy lifters and anyone know the price range??

Team AJ Member PM 4 details
AstinaBoiV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstinaBoiV6
while on the subject of tapping how do you replace noisy lifters and anyone know the price range??
Yeap i know, but only for the 2.0litre V6 motor, cause i was going to do it for the other astina, quoted from a place in sydney for the Tappers only about $650 (and that was very very very cheap, compared to others, only found 3 places that had them and Mazda - rip.off!) and a GOOD FULL DAY to remove and install new ones, the back ones are a killa i heard to put in, and im talking about the V6 2Litre model.

Just to let you know mazda wanted $71.50 plus GST EACH ! So total about $1850 (gst included) just the parts !
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
Noble323
E74A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkas
Went for a cruise the other night (Melb-Geelong-BacchusMarsh-Melb)
As I was approaching Werribee (down to 60km/h) I could hear tapping from the motor.
I don't it helps cruising at "approx" 140.
Needed oil!
Its been happening alot lately even at 'legal' speeds.
I can't see it blowing smoke, and its not leaking...
Oh yeah, its done 240,000!
Time to trade in, or what fix?

Help?
Okay -

I didnt beleive this myself, but try this :
*Go out and buy Nulon Engine Flush & one im not sure whats it called, but it helps the engine from tapper sound also its by Nulon
*Anyways put the engine flush in with the oil in your motor, let it idle for 15-20minutes, then quickly empty the oil from the car (at the bottom) after you finish that.
*Put some decent oil 20-50 not 10-40, u need something alittle thicker and also put the other bottle that helps the engine tappers, and it wont happen straight away but you will notice the noise not as loud, most times it gos and comes but very low sound.

I try'd it - didnt want too, but did, and was very happy at the end, saves me buying tappers and installing them, everything wont cost you more than $50 to $60 Cheapest way if it works !
Old 13-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Gavsta

Car: Sparkle green 95 Astina
Send a message via MSN to Gavsta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkas
How often do you change you oil?
10,000kms just to add oil seems a bit high, you should be checking it at regular intervals not just waiting for the tapping to appear.

I change my oil and filter every 5,000kms and have no troubles, I use Shell Sport plus (I think thats what its called the 15-40 one) as Noble said stay away from the low viscosity oils e.g. Magnatec.
Gavsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
MitchEG
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Cibicu
seeing as the engine only holds about 3.6L of oil, that is alot to top up every 10000km. You may be able to silence the HLA's for a little while with new and full oil, but it will likely come back. I had the same problem on a BA with 220 000k's on it, but mine diddnt burn any oil.
MitchEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
AstinaBoiV6

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to AstinaBoiV6
yer mine is the 2L v6.. hmm but i think i only need to replace one lifter or tappet or whatever as not all are the problem but like one or 2.. do you have to replace all or can just one be done. ?

Team AJ Member PM 4 details
AstinaBoiV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
Noble323
E74A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstinaBoiV6
yer mine is the 2L v6.. hmm but i think i only need to replace one lifter or tappet or whatever as not all are the problem but like one or 2.. do you have to replace all or can just one be done. ?
Thats what i thought mine is, but honestly when you take all the covers off, some tappers look like they are alright, and some might look bad, but if you replace some of them and you think the others are okay/fine, i would say thats a bad move, cause it can come back the tapping sound, so you've done a days work for nothing.

Honestly i know it cost alot, to be done, but thats the safest way, but honestly if you think the sound will do anything to the car, 10% it will, until the noise gets worse! and ive been told by this from every mechanic i spoke too.

Trust me on this - as i posted above regarding the NULON product to use - it works man, the mechanic i went to said dont bother, but im very picky and hate any noise, and couldnt stand it, so i did, after 4to10 days i noticed a very big difference!!!!

Well its up too you,