Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Motorsports

Old 13-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
LordWorm

Car: .
Electric Drag Machines!

This was posted on a forum I frequent:

http://www.killacycle.com/

battery opperated, producing 330hp per engine, direct chain driven DC thing - some 1350 amps - this thing is a weapon.

8 second pass, at over 140mph with no fuel of ANY kind in sight.

I did some searching around today, and found there is an 8 second electric rail car doing the rounds in the states, and even a fully fledge electric drag racing governing body, with an 11 second battery powered RX7 on the scene.

These things are REAL machines, not RC whatevers..people build and ride these crazy machines....

The torque the electric motors can generate makes them a sight to behold, and with no transmission to speak of they put almost all the power they generate at the motor to the road.

Really interesting stuff. The near silent burnout in the video clip attached to the above link is priceless.

The rate at which these guys are dropping times will see them competing with group B dragsters in the not to distant future - they cost a bit to build but once made require next to no maintenance, use 0.05c worth of electricity per pass and can be recharged in a mere 15 minutes... I thought it was pretty interesting, so i decided to share

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Clarky_BA

Car: 323 BA Hardtop
What no bites from anybody... This is one of my long, long term projects. When my engine finally dies I will do a convert, mind you that depends on Australias laws and standing at the time. But do a search for an X1, porsche and ferrari. Basically they all drag, the X1 is electric with a range of 200 Miles and needless to say it leaves the other two toys for dead. Very impressive. In fact I have done the work for you.... Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qDZOBQs60w
Old 02-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
LordWorm

Yeh i'm surprised noone found this as interesting as I did

there are some serious rockets out there in the electric drag field, i had no idea till i found this.

Beauty of the electric cars, is aside from batteries (which explode under the extreme drain conditions they put them under, they basically decharge them at some ungodly rate...like 2000amps draw or something), they are absolutely bullet proof...

The cost of building them is high, but then the cost to run them is minimal....the DC motors rarely if ever let go, and as long as you feed them batteries they'll go all night.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Sims

Car: Sport20 Familia
I would have been interested to see a stock aerial atom, vs the X1. I imagine they'd be pretty even…

Interesting non the less. I'd be very curious to drive a true electric car!
Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Clarky_BA

I have found a few sites where you can purchase the "engines" for the electric conversion. They are only around the 1600 US mark, but imagine the weight / cost of getting them shipped over here.

Might start with a bike, (I am talking when I am older and have not much to do with my time, at the moment I have to book a month in advance to have a scratch). There is a guzzi that a guy has done and he took it to the harley drag day in the US, funny to watch the vid as all these noisy buggers are taking off at the xmas tree and then this thing pops up and just sits silent like. The crowd is like what the " " and then whooshka.... Not fast fast, only about a 9 sec....lol
Old 04-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky_BA View Post
I have found a few sites where you can purchase the "engines" for the electric conversion. They are only around the 1600 US mark, but imagine the weight / cost of getting them shipped over here.

Might start with a bike, (I am talking when I am older and have not much to do with my time, at the moment I have to book a month in advance to have a scratch). There is a guzzi that a guy has done and he took it to the harley drag day in the US, funny to watch the vid as all these noisy buggers are taking off at the xmas tree and then this thing pops up and just sits silent like. The crowd is like what the " " and then whooshka.... Not fast fast, only about a 9 sec....lol
i think thats the killacycle, linked in my first post, and it ran an 8 something, which is hauling ass in anyones language

the engines they use for drag racing are a little more extreme then engines to convert cars...they are usually beefcake direct drive bits of pure stupidity, powered by a device that can draw on the batteries at over 2000amps (enough draw to cause purpose built beefcake batteries to explode under the stress)....

These guys are just as nuts as the conventional sub 9 second crowd :P

Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Clarky_BA

I have a sub 10 sec bike already, well okay that was when it was stock. Now I have racing pipes, vortex racing front and rear cog and chain. Have not taken it down the strip yet.. Scares mates when they ride it. Use it as my daily commuter to work, funny thing is the 98 BA hardtop is almost as economical. That is my main reason for doing the electric thing, you know save the planet and all that!! Plus it would be fun at the lights with a SS revving and then ZaP.. Just imagine the look on their faces.

But still the Aus goverment and rules and regulations would most likely not pass or it would be a huge pain to get it across the line costing a bomb (as in money for those asio guys reading this).

Hopefully the Electric cars craze will take off over in the US and then come here in about ten years.... Fingers crossed.
Old 20-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
SIlversp20

Car: 2002 BJII sp20
those guys with the 8 second pass elec cars are nuts. im in agreeance with Clarky hope it comes down under one day that would be awsome to see
SIlversp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
Abaddon

Car: White 1996 Astina Hatch 1.8L Man
Saw a video/read an article about the Killacycle last week. The normal rider of it was sick so the owner/builder of it decided to take his place and do a burnout at some tech conference, anyways he went full pelt into the side of a van, off to hospital...looked pretty painful.
Old 24-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
GISS-90BG

Car: 1990 BG Astina
Watched the video of the crash. Damn, that was scary and haunting to see.

Just to see the naivety and innocence on that guys face just before he jumped on the bike, when you know what's coming. Least he's alright.

Goes to show you don't muck around with powerful vehicle, be they petrol OR electric!

Sick bike... BUT I would never trade the roar of a tuned combustion engine for some silly Duracell Pocket Rocket!
Old 19-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
LordWorm

And she goes into the 7's!!!!

www.killacycle.com

7.824 @ 168mph....

This thing is just insane...
looks like they've finally been able to to get the battery pack delivering maximum horsepower.... so time to upgrade those DC motors and get some more power into the thing :P
haha

Crazy crazy bike..

edit: oh and their about section shows its not quite as economical as it used to be... it uses 7 cents worth of electricity each pass now :P

Last edited by LordWorm; 19-11-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 19-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
Ends up being 17 dollars per 100km's... At 270 kms/hr that's pretty damn economical
Old 19-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smikey View Post
Ends up being 17 dollars per 100km's... At 270 kms/hr that's pretty damn economical
yes but it used to only cost 5 cents per quarter mile