Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 29-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
lambs

Car: R32 GTR, 260Z, BMW K100
BA 1.8 DOHC into BG 1.8 SOHC auto ??

Firstly, I've done a search and it seems this is possible although I haven't been able to find all the answers I need.

To cut a long story short, I've been offered a low km 1.8 DOHC engine from a 1995 or 1996 BA Astina very cheap. The donor car is an auto as well. I had been considering doing a twin cam head conversion to a SOHC bottom end using the info in this thread:

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showt...OHC+conversion

I actually have a twin cam head (from a Laser) and some of the other bits needed, but would still need to get a DOHC water pump, VRS set and timing belt kit. However, the price I've been offered the BA Astina engine for is less than the cost of those parts, so you can see why I'm considering it (being an already running engine, lower k's, etc).

Anyway, will the BA engine 'bolt in' to a BG Astina in place of the original SOHC engine without any major mods ?? (ie I will be able to use the SOHC engine mounts, accessories, auto, heater and radiator hose connection, etc).

Also, if I changeover the SOHC injectors, throttle body and distributor to the DOHC engine as described in the above thread, is there any reason it wouldn't run in the same way as doing the DOHC head conversion I was planning ?? Of course, I am assuming these parts will fit the BA engine.....

I am aware that the the VICS system will be disabled, but there are other ways around that problem.

TIA
lambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 30-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
they are the same block. vics will work if you if you use a ba ecu.

or if you just use the head and the block and use the intake manifold, throttle body, ecu and dissy from a bg/kf/kh then with it'll work fine. no problem with vics then.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
lambs

Car: R32 GTR, 260Z, BMW K100
Thanks for the response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
they are the same block.
That's good news...I should be able to use all the existing accessories, etc

Quote:
vics will work if you if you use a ba ecu.
...but I'd also have to change the loom, however I'd rather just keep the existing loom and ECU, which will also work with the auto trans.

Quote:
or if you just use the head and the block and use the intake manifold, throttle body, ecu and dissy from a bg/kf/kh then with it'll work fine. no problem with vics then.
What I'd like to do is use the BA engine and block mated to the existing auto. I have a KF laser DOHC head+manifolds+dizzy, so there's no problem there. I'd have to use the SOHC auto throttle body (the auto TPS is different to the manual type).

OTOH, why can't I just use the existing BA inlet manifold setup as it already has an auto style TPS ?? (or is the BA type very different to the BG type ??). I'd just need to change the injectors.
lambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
you will need to change the ecu, as sohc / dohc / manual / auto ecus are different.

i think the only thing that the sohc and dohc engines have in common is the block, crank and rods. everything else, (including electrical) is different.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 31-03-2009 at 07:00 AM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote