Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 18-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
amirulismail

b6 turbo?

can B6 engine be fitted with turbo kits? I'm thinking of installing B8 extractor into B6 then the turbine, intercooler bla bla..
amirulismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 18-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Fro-Daddy

Send a message via MSN to Fro-Daddy
b6t?
Fro-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
*moved to relevant sention*

The B6 comes as a turbo engine in australia - the B6T.

But the manifolds from B6 to B8/BP are different in size, so no.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Just noticed this on FL.com
I have no detail and no links to the seller.
http://www.fordlaser.com/ads_item.php?id=724

Hope it's of some help.
Old 22-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
looks like it's from a capri/mx5 also. as piping goes over the tappet cover... (i could be wrong.)

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
Osprey06
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1987 Mazda 323 'SS' FWD turbo
Send a message via ICQ to Osprey06 Send a message via MSN to Osprey06
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayryry
looks like it's from a capri/mx5 also. as piping goes over the tappet cover... (i could be wrong.)

ryan
As far as I'm aware, there were two basic versions of the B6T - early & late spec, broadly speaking. The two versions are very similar and everything, for the most part, is interchangeable.

That picture is of a late-spec motor (which is the only motor that was factory delivered to in Australian cars). The onl factory turbo 1.6 litre B-series blocks (so B6T) were in front-drive configuration and can be found predominantly in Ford Laser TX3 turbo & 4wd turbo, equivalent Mazda 323 turbo & 4wd turbo and the Ford Capri turbo.

The B6 found in NA-series MX5s is similar to a B6T, but they never came factory turbocharged.

amirulismail, when you ask about the "B6", do you mean the B6 as found in '86 to '89 323s, or are you refering to a 1.6 litre BP-block as found in some later Lasers/323s?? I suspect by your reference to the B8, you're asking about a 1.6 litre BP-block??

Either way, turbo chargine an N/A motor is a little more complex than just chucking a turbo on the side of the motor. you will have to run some form of computer to control fuel & timing, you will need to provide oil & water lines to the turbocharger, you will possibly need larger injectors (are all efi injectors the same on B6/P's??) and you'd probably be wise to upgrade the radiator also...
Osprey06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
amirulismail

nope
i'm referring to my own '92 1.6DOHC 323F Astina (BG) as the engine number written in the pink slip
amirulismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
i'd buy B6T turbo engine and fit that in, straight swap over and new ecu intercooler etc.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 07:09 AM   #9
geetee

Car: A Mazda 323F BJ Sport.
Send a message via MSN to geetee
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirulismail
nope
i'm referring to my own '92 1.6DOHC 323F Astina (BG) as the engine number written in the pink slip
Where do you come from mate?
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
saukstas

Car: 323F BG GT Fridge edition
Send a message via Skype™ to saukstas
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
Where do you come from mate?
very good question because I have never heard of B6 in 323F. But I hope we will soon hear about one of those from me Today I bought B6T and now I am thinking of two ways to deal with this tiny beast:

1. take turbo, injectors, fuel pump, other possibly needed stuff and mount them on my 1.8 DOHC (BP) GT engine.

2. try to swap the whole engine.

second way is much easier however it has some problems - i don't have needed wiring. The problem is that I found this car in a village where it was smashed into the tree by a drunk redneck There is everything except some wiring in engine bay because that guy sold it as plain copper. DAMN. And I get everything (gearbox, clutch, all drivetrain) for a price of.. emm.. a little more than 100$ (that guy surely doesn't know about turbo's and what they mean, he only knows that this ride was running great last week).

So I think this would be one of the cheapiest conversions. But the lack of wiring is a pain in my ass.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hey mate, you can put the stronger B6T rods into the BP, but you will need to decompress the BP engine with LC pistons to take the turbo. I think you are better off modding the left driveshaft and rear engine mount to fit in the B6T in, as it will be ready for easy boost mods like EBC/MBC, VF10 hybrid, GTX injectors, etc...

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
saukstas

that was exactly what I considered while reading ford laser forums.

You see, I am not native english speaker and technical terms are quite a bit confusing for me, however your post was understood

wouldn't it be easier to raise the head by adding a thicker head gasket? I know that BPT and BP have different pistons (BPT's ones have some drillings - how should i call them - to decrease compression ratio) but are these drillings primarily aimed for this reason?

Now i've got a few questions:

Will standard BP ECU and AFM handle different loads of air? Will AFM have enough travel to measure all the air pressure turbo would boost?

May I use fuel injectors from B6T? Should I replace my fuel pump with B6T's one? I suppose fuel lines should handle increased fuel pressure well (i would be very disappointed by a fire in engine compartment)

I noticed that B6T rods are better, they should handle more rpms even than bpt ones.

What exhaust manifold can I use to mount an IHI turbo onto BP (1.8 dohc)? What about intake manifold? Can I use the standard one from BP?

I'm starting with low boost levels.

In fact I am not a mechanic at all. I can learn a lot of new things easily so this engine modification would not be a very big problem for me if i had repair manuals. Maybe somebody can scan them for people here?

Last edited by saukstas; 02-06-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: forgot to ask some things
saukstas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I don't reccomend adapting the turbo parts to the BP at all, there are so many mild differences and neccessary customisation that you will run into no end of trouble...

The BP ECU and AFM is not compatible with the B6T. I think you would be better off getting an aftermarket ECU like Megasquirt or Microtech so that you don't need the ECU and AFM at all.

If you put the B6T in, it will take up to 16-18psi with an aftermarket ECU and GTX (BPT) fuel injectors. A custom length left side driveshaft and modified rear engine mount will cost less than what you will need to do to make the BP adapt to a turbo.

Your English is outstanding!
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #14
saukstas

you see, I've got a friend who has swapped a BP with BPT in his 323F. Now this car is doing very well with more than 200 Hp.

Everything was done by himself despite the fact that he has no education in this field. He has excelent knowledge of BP and BPT internals and if I manage to remember our conversation correctly the only difference between BP and BPT internals is the drillings on the pistons to decrease compression ration.

I haven't found any more resources about differences between these two engines. Maybe i should get BPT and try to compare them, but it is really costly here, in Lithuania So internet resources would be much cheaper

Last edited by saukstas; 02-06-2007 at 06:22 PM.
saukstas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina GT Turbo
Send a message via MSN to dave0r
turboing a stock BP isnt such a bad thing

but you have to keep the boost levels down a bit

but its worth saving that bit extra for a BPT
dave0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #16
saukstas