Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 23-10-2002, 05:42 AM   #1
taz

Send a message via MSN to taz
[color=#000000ost_uid7]ok...
i just got a '90 Astina SP and waz wondering if anyone could tell me how to remove the rear speakers!!...it soundz pretty dumb but i tried gettin the cover itself off but sumting waz holding it...i got that clip off but it still wont come off..n im scared of breaking it so didnt try to juz pull it off....i need to get to the wiring so i can put in different speakers...any help would be great...thanx...
taz[/colorost_uid7]
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-10-2002, 08:58 AM   #2
taz

[color=#000000ost_uid0]ok pplz..dun worry bout that...
i figured it out...pretty easy now that i think bout it....next step is finding a good system...does ne1 have any good ideas for a setup with the stock head unit and equaliser?
cheerz
taz[/colorost_uid0]
Old 23-10-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Provo

Send a message via ICQ to Provo
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Arharhar! I beat you all to it!
Um...well whats your budget? And what are you looking to get ultimately? Ie are you aiming to amp and sub eventually?
I found that upgrading the speakers first only helps a small bit...but the biggest improvement came when I upgraded the HU first... (yeah 3 diff cars!
But if you just want to do the speakers you have a few options.
1) Go for splits. These allow greater sound quality (SQ) cause you can move the tweeter around (high frequency producer). But they are often a litte more expensive
2) Go for co-axials. These are what comes in most cars and they are basically all of the speakers combined into one unit, so you can't put the tweeter in a diff place to the woofer...they are basically what your car has now.
3) Only upgrade you front and spend more money on the front speakers to get higher quality stuff...Or you can upgrade the rears as well (which is what I did...i think it sounds better coming from the back as well!) Which will mean that you'll either have to spend less on eahc of the compenents now...or you can wait a little until you have more money in the bank.

Let us know if you want us to go into amp/hu/sub info as well...or if your just aiming at upgrading the speakers.

But I would really suggest upgrading the HU first, followed by speakers, then sub, then amp the rest of the speakers... Any other thoughts slow pokes? ::
And remember the more info you want to give us...then the more we can help you!
PS...what equaliser? an aftermarket one?[/colorost_uid0]
Provo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2002, 09:37 AM   #4
taz

[color=#000000ost_uid0]thanx alot for that...
well...i have the stock equaliser on at the moment..and i really like the look of it...and thatz why i wanna leave the equaliser in there...for now i have no intentions of changing the head unit either...but is there a way of changing just the head unit ( by that i mean tape deck n radio) and leaving the equaliser in....
for now i just wanna upgrade ma speakers ( first rear ( they are non existent at the moment) and den the fronts),,,,but eventually i wanna have 2 10 or 12 icnh subs in da back...so watz the best setup so that i can upgrade to that eventually...
thanx...
taz[/colorost_uid0]
Old 23-10-2002, 01:09 PM   #5
TURBO MAZDA

[color=#000000ost_uid0]You going to havre to change the head unit if you want to run subs and all the 4 speakers, I have the same shape astina and wanted to do the same thing, It sounded real **** with the original head unit and eq, the thing is if you want to change the head unit you have to leave the tape deck in or get one of those pocket things cause you can only fit a headunit into the bottom slot where the eq was.[/colorost_uid0]
TURBO MAZDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2002, 08:50 PM   #6
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]upgrading the HU first, followed by speakers, then sub, then amp the rest of the speakers[/quoteost_uid0]

after the new HU, i'd replace the speakers, then amp them b4 looking into a sub. U might find ur happy with the sound of amped speakers and dont need the inconvenience of a sub [/colorost_uid0]
Old 25-10-2002, 08:31 PM   #7
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Dogo...thats true...but once you go sub....you can never go back! There is just no comparison between amped speakers and a sub i think!
I'm not exactly sure how the stock eq is wired in there, so I can't really comment...but if you want an eq and your going to be amping your speakers and you sub...you'll need to be looking at one which has maybe one input, and 3 output rca's...so that you only really have to buy a hu with 1 output. Or...you can scratch the eq, fill the gap with a screen or something, and buy a hu with 3 pre-outs and an in built eq.

Yes there is a way of chaning you hu and leaving the eq in...it just depends what the eq can do...if its just a high level eq...ie it doesn't use rca's...then i recon that it'll be more trouble then it worth!

Whats you budget? I'd say have a trip into JBHifi, Stratties or the lifestyle store (they give pretty good prices) and look for a set of splits. I personally think that they will offer the best SQ as your leg wont be blocking the tweeters...thats if you place the tweeter up higher anyway. Or if you dont mind REsponse gear, then have a look in Jaycar, i've heard that they are pretty good as far as SQ and power handling goes.
For the rear i'd just be looking for rear fill...so nothing too flashy and expensive...as you'll mainly be hearing the sound from your front...most people just ut in rear speakres to fill the rear gap... So i'd say look for something about $100-$150...again have a look at the JayCar gear as they have really good "bang for your buck".
Atm i'd say...run the rear speakers off the head unit...then get a 2 chan amp and run your front splits off that. Then after you choose if your going to have 2 10's or 1 12', i'd say go for a monoblock. They are really efficient amps and will give a much needed 'punch'.
Give us a budget and we'll suggest a few things... Also let us know if you'll want all the speakers amped and how many amps you want...cause aiming at 3 V12's just so that I can keep a symetry(sp?) for my bot install...but I know that some people dont really car, and they just go for 2 amps a 4 chan and a mono or 2 chan. So let us know your personal preference. Also i'd say choose now what your aiming for...so that you can design a system around that...its a total bugger to buy equipment and then to realise that its not what you'll be ultimately aiming for!
Cheers,
Joe[/colorost_uid0]
Old 26-10-2002, 06:01 AM   #8
taz

[color=#000000ost_uid7]cheerz 4 dat...
ok...budget...at the moment... i cant spend anything more then $500 so thatz y i waz just lookin at speakers...im sure that ill wanna have a sub or 2 eventually....most prob 2 10's...im not too sure wether therez much of a difference if i have 2 10's or 1 12 but ive been told that 2 10's sound better when there are heapz of beats...can anyone clarify that for me???? orrite..the amps...well i personally dun know much bout them so i dun know how many or wat kind ill be using...so im open to suggestions from any1.... my prefferred setup would be 6x9's in da back, splits in da front, and subz at da back...any1 know if itz possible to do this off a stock head unit? if it is wat kind of setup will i be looking at in regard to the amplifiers? has any1 got a set up with the stock head unit in their 90' astina? if so would u mind sharin sum details??

cheerz
taz[/colorost_uid7]
Old 26-10-2002, 07:07 AM   #9
taz

[color=#000000ost_uid7]orrite...
uve probably figured out dat i dun know much bout audio systems n ur right...so once again i need ur help...
is it a good idea to buy a crappy head unit ( 25 x 4 W) according to the add...and den use an amp ( 360 W ... 4 channel) to get better sound...is dat even possible? orrite...cheerz for ur help guyz
taz[/colorost_uid7]
Old 26-10-2002, 08:32 AM   #10
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ok well...depending on your budget...i's say stick with JayCar amps...they'll do the job pretty nicely IMO. Maybe either a 4x100RMS or a 4X50RMS, for both the speakers and the subs. So the 4 chans for all the speakers, and bridged in the channels for the 2 10's. But if your going to go for a 12...then i'd say try the 2x150rms, then bridge to give you about 450rms...
If thats your budget, and you dont mind going with response gear...i'd say buy response speakers... i've done an order for a mate for a pair of 6x9's and a pair of 5"'s I think, and that set him back about $100. Prob go for say...a pair of respose 6x9's and a set of thier kevlar splits... that'd be about $225 all up (um retail prob about $310...) Then spend the rest on an eq or a new hu, or an amp to go with them. It depends on what the stock hu can do...which I dont really know.
So:
Suggestions:
Amps:
1) Response 4x100rms or 4x50rms, for the 4 speakers
2) Response 4x100rms for the 2 subs, or Response 2x150RMS for the single 12
Response 2x150RMS: RRP $335.00 Bulk $269.00
Response 4x100RMS: RRP$449.00 Bulk $359.00
Response 4x50RMS: RRP$249.00 Bulk $225.00

Speakers:
Back:
1)6x9 - 2 Way Woofer and 1inch Titanium Dome Tweeter RRP$95.00 Bulk $75.95
2)6x9 - 3 Way Polypropylene Cone RRP$89.95 Bulk $71.95
(I'd go for the 2 way...better qual)
Front:
1) 6.5inch Response Kevlar Split Speaker System RRP$199.00 Bulk $158.95
2) 6.5inch XL-Response Split Speaker / Coaxial Combination RRP$99.00 Bulk $78.95
(i'd go for the kevlar splits...i've heard good things about them)

Ok well there you go...by the sounds of if you want decent sound...but nothing top notch...so those are my suggestion...obviously i haven't researched anything else, cause I think that these are perfect for you situation and budget. Maybe if you can spend a little more...gor for the suggested speakers, and a 4x100rms...that'd be unreal! But dont forget wire costs...
If you do decide to go with the JayCar gear...let me know, and i'll see what price I can get for you...I can normally get a fair bit below the bulk price...
Cheers,
Joe[/colorost_uid0]
Old 26-10-2002, 10:49 AM   #11
bRaDiNhO
AstinaGT Regular

Car: '90 SP
Send a message via MSN to bRaDiNhO
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I have same shape, and did speaker upgrade first. *I have Clarion 5.5" splits in the front which I've been very happy with, and Clarion 6*9 3ways in the rear, which i aint so happy with (distort at wayyy too low volume, and then one blew). *The splits were about $280 retail, the 6*9s $190. *This sounded a lot better than stock, but then the HU made a huge diff; noticed in bass a lot. *Obviously nothing like having a sub, but the extra power between the HUs made the difference. (Stock HU is about 5-6w per channel RMS I think.... my new one is about 15w). *CD sound quality vs. tape sound is also big; u gotta realise that you are getting CD and better sq from a new HU, not just sq. *That said, u could easily get a new HU and some decent fronts for about $550. *Just look at a basic Pioneer/ Kenwood/ Sony CD unit with 2 preouts if u wanna run the sub later. *U'll pay about $300 at JBs or the like. *That leaves you enough money to buy the speakers that Provo said. *Later when u got more money, amp it up and add a sub. *A lot of ppl here will disagree, and it also depends on your musika preferences, but id rather go a single 10/12" sub... (tending to the 10" - punchier) with say, 2 channels bridged giving it reasonable power, and amp the fronts for better overall sound quality. *Remember that bass isnt everything! *And NEVER pay the asking price. *You can always get lower. *Markup on Pioneer stuff is about 50% of cost(a $350 sub retail had a cost of $214, the 12" was an extra $30 retail i think with only an extra $9 cost). *JBS do some pretty good deals tho, as do Ryda suprisingly. *Just dont go to PD's * :angry:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 26-10-2002, 08:27 PM   #12
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hey just saw a Jaycar 4x100RMS amp on sale at CAA for $270....so if you want that either join or ask me to enquire fo ya.
Joe[/colorost_uid0]
Old 27-10-2002, 07:47 AM   #13
taz

[color=#000000ost_uid0]hey pplz

Joe, thanx for that...i think ill wait for a while coz im not sure bout wat im gonna get dun yet....thanx anywayz...

ok...can any1 tell me wether itz worth gettin these subz...
http://www.strathfield.com/product....tID=596

they are goin for $269...

and is there a really noticeale difference between splits...n normal 2 or 3 wayz...coz so far evry set of splitz dat ive looked at are really expensive....

thanx guyz
taz[/colorost_uid0]
Old 27-10-2002, 11:05 AM   #14
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I 'think' that that may just be the box...i really wouldn't be surprised...but i'm not sure.
Ah like I said...drop into jaycar and have a listen to thier splits...i think that you'll be pleasantly surprised! There is one in the City, and one near Homebush plus a few others around th place! But I think that splits are much better! They may sound kinda the same on a board...cause nothing is blocking them...but in a car i'm pretty sure that you'll be able to notice the diff.
But with anything (except Jaycar), i'm kinda reffering to those boss subs, unless they have a huge discount...you pay for what you get. I exclude JayCar cause they have been proven to be good, and still cheap...mainly cause your not paying for a brand name... So if you buy something like Suny, with Suny prices, expect Suny quality!

Actually...someone is selling some Boston splits on CAA atm for about $200...and they will be good and the come recomended by one of CAA's tops! So have a look![/colorost_uid0]
Old 27-10-2002, 12:58 PM   #15
bRaDiNhO
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That price is for the subs + box + neons. MyCar used to sell it for $299. Right next to the California Gold HUs. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 31-10-2002, 06:21 AM   #16
taz

[color=#000080ost_uid7]hey guyz
one again ma total lack of knowledge in car audio is gonna show...

im confused about amplifiers.... is it posssible to run 4 speakerz and a sub from one 4 channel amplifier ( the sony 444W one)

im confused on wether one channel runs 1 speaker or a pair...

im probbably becomin a bit annoyin...sorry guyz
but i really appreciate ur help..

cheerz
taz[/colorost_uid7]
Old 31-10-2002, 05:27 PM   #17
bRaDiNhO
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Generally u want to run at least 1 channel per speaker sub. Prob even bridge more for the sub to up the power running to it. If u were desperate (I'm talking home, not car set up here - correct me if it cant be done in car?) u could split a channel to run two speakers, but they would be putting out the same sound (so u would want to run say the front left and rear left off of it) BUT u lose out big time in sound output.... volume and quality. Not recommended. Plus since u lose so much u turn it up more thus constantly running the amp at higher levels and if u aint got a great quality amp itll say goodbye eventually.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-11-2002, 02:02 AM   #18
taz

[color=#000080ost_uid7]cheerz for dat bRaDiNhO...

ur earlier post says that u have 6x9's in da rear...where have u put them?? is it on da parcel shelf or boxes or did u sum how modify the factory speaker location??

wat bout the front speakers...did u have to modify the factory location??? or did the speakers drop right in....is there a chance of puttin bigger speakers or are 5.5" da biggest??

cheerz mate
taz[/colorost_uid7]
Old 03-11-2002, 09:33 AM   #19
bRaDiNhO
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I got 6" to fit in the front no probs. The 6*9s are on the parcel shelf. I snapped one shelf already...... dont put any more weight on it if you put the speakers in it![/colorost_uid0]
Old 20-11-2002, 09:38 AM   #20
taz

[color=#000080ost_uid7]hey pplz..
ive finally finished exams n had a chance to go n look at a few systems...
i waz only able to go to 2 places...
da first place i went to...da guy waz pretty helpfull n gave me a package deal for $1300....i den went to audiocom n da bastard waz like i cant give u anything for under $2000!!!!!!!! so anywayz...i wanted ur opinions on dis system for 1300....
itz all alpine....
head unit- CDM-7874EB
amp- MRP-F200
sub- SWS-1241 Type-s 12"
fronts- SCS-1756 6.5" splits
rear fill- wateva fits in....

1300 includes fitting and wires n wateva needs to be done...
http://www.alpine.com.au/active_page...units_page.asp

any opinions, good or bad , wouuld be appreciated....
cheerz
taz[/colorost_uid7]