Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 26-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Chi_Lantis

Inserting the jap spec Lantis LSD into the G-series Gearbox?

Hi i have the Mazda 323F and currently doing a swap i have all the correct parts and even manage to source the Lantis type-R (jap spec) LSD and tried to fit this into the UK spec G-series Gearbox and the result is the Crown is about quater of an inch bigger compared the the original diff and will not sit in properly and the casing wont close!!! has anyone else tempted to do this???? or knows anyone tried? i was also wondering would the B6T LSD work instead???
Chi_Lantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 27-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina GT Turbo
Send a message via MSN to dave0r
What model 323f BG or BA ??
the Lantis LSD has a bigger crown wheel and is made for 2nd Gen G- Series box's

if your running a BG 323f, your best option buy a BA lantis 4cyl gearbox and swap the LSD diff into that .. OR
drill out the crown wheel bolts...and mount the LSD into the current crown wheel, and bolt it back together

for the record the input sharfts are 28 spline on the Type- R Diff, and 2nd Gen models.. BG are 26,,and will not fit...you'll need theses to make it work
dave0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
Chi_Lantis

wow thats incredible! i really was starting to lose faith in the LSD.

Basically i manage to get a hold of a jap spec lantis LSD i have the G-series gearbox GM25 or something like that cant remember off my head.

my car is the Mazda 323F BA 1.8 96 model F-series GB.
iv brought a G-series GB and was hoping to swap them over in ordered to make my new engine have a better gearbox. i have all the gearbox mounts aswel.

only problem is that recently only started on the gearbox and found out that the crown is too big and doesnt sit properly and the casing will not close back up.

i will let my mechs know about this information and see if its possible to swap the crowns over and hopefully i will have an LSD gearbox

is this all the info i need to make it work???
Old 27-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Chi_Lantis

just read the thread again, just to remind you that the LSD will not work straight into the G-series gearbox which i got from a 94 BA 323F!!! its still too big. so do you suggest drilling out the crown bits and replacing the crown with the orginal G-series one??? is this possible ???
Old 27-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

take it to a Mech and get them to have a look

i know from what people have done on the net is that some of the 4cly BA g/bx;s need to have a small amount of the housing cut back, as the diff hits the sides

ive got a Type-r LSD box also...ready to go in mine 4cly box, i've gota take out my gearbox to change things over..., but i use the car alot..
Old 27-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
Chi_Lantis

Ok i fink i will allow cutting the housing because i reckon it weakens the gearbox and its not like our gearboxes are strong now are they??? the optional route is to swap the crowns over but before i do this does anyone know where a good company can re-fit new rivets back into the crown???
Old 28-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Right o

took the G561 Lantis type r box apart> FUN FUN

the Diff is well...Weird..its got 2 main Spider gears...and 4 other smaller gears supporting the 2 main ones..Is very chunky, and strong looking.

i just can't see how it works as a LSD
i can see 1 plate at the driver side end (very small plate),,only 1..not many like ya see on the net??
*havent counted the crown wheel yet..(its late.im tired)

WORST PART IS IT APPEARS TO BE 26 SPLINES, Not 28 like my 4 cly Lantis box?
I counted 3 time...and my BG astina sharfts fit nice n snug , but passenger side needs 3-5mm more lenght for the circlip to "lock" in there
Its really tight..i cannot move the sharfts the as to "go around a corner"
the open easy to like that..this is F****n hard..almost locked :lol:

sorry for the pic's..havent got my digi cam here atm

I've search on the net for as much as i can..and the only thing i can dig up is that its a "screw refuse" type LSD...
i've never heard of this..some Subaru's and some r34's have this Type...nothing more...Kind of a pain really...
as i'd like to know how this works..

anyways...hope you like
Old 03-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Mr.Obsessed

Car: 323F KLZE
Post this on Mx6.com or probetalk.com I also have researched on this and came up with nothing. I have never seen LSD G.B series i have G25M-R and its NOT LSD as I thought it "drags" to left side when pushing it trough 1-2-3 i am also looking into getting one. Plz post your results. Where did you get it?
Mr.Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

i scored the box from a Mazda parts place in Newzealand

i beleive the gearbox i have (G561) is a V6 MX3 fitted with a LSD unit from a BG Mazda 4cly Infini (like a familia sedan) Not a Lantis type R
..as its a first Gen LSD unit ie 26 splines, not 28 like the Lantis

the problem will be the final drive ratio, so its going to be interesting if my 2nd gen box and final drive fit the 1st gen LSD diff and ring gear

next problem is the left drive sharft...being 26 spline and requiring 8mm more than the normal open diff sharfts...mazda Proceed 4x4 sharfts fit i found out..just they are ball type C.V's not tripod type

i'll post pics n stuff on how it went, or didnt
Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Oy, that sounds like a pain in the ass job.

Didn't consider one of the MSP LSDs? At least they're 28 spline and drop straight into a CBA G25MR box

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
Chi_Lantis

they dont drop in that easily mines giving me a hell of a time at the moment iv decided to back out on this op and put the box back together now but i still need the torque settings for the main and lay shafts of the gearbox inside.

DAm can nobody help?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
Mr.Obsessed

Car: 323F KLZE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0r
i scored the box from a Mazda parts place in Newzealand

i beleive the gearbox i have (G561) is a V6 MX3 fitted with a LSD unit from a BG Mazda 4cly Infini (like a familia sedan) Not a Lantis type R
..as its a first Gen LSD unit ie 26 splines, not 28 like the Lantis

the problem will be the final drive ratio, so its going to be interesting if my 2nd gen box and final drive fit the 1st gen LSD diff and ring gear

next problem is the left drive sharft...being 26 spline and requiring 8mm more than the normal open diff sharfts...mazda Proceed 4x4 sharfts fit i found out..just they are ball type C.V's not tripod type

i'll post pics n stuff on how it went, or didnt
ok they have more of those lsd's`?
yes they fit from 4x4 also gears in them can be swapped over especially the 5 th gear is used to get more top speed as they have higher gearing by 10%
Mr.Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

MSP would have been the plain, but $$ didnt allow

but i only payed $350 NZ for this for complete box...i may even use the 5th from this, as its prolly a lot taller (save $$ for gas) ..thats a score,,well i think it is :P

i cant wait to bolt this up and go, i'll have traction again
.....if it doesnt fit my 2nd gen Gearbox its not biggy, as i have 2 older boxes that i can fit this too...or i'll just drill out the rivets and bolt it back up to the 2nd gen ring gear

now i just sit back and wait for the 3rd gear strippage!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
Simondo

Car: Mazda Lantis Type-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Lantis View Post
Hi i have the Mazda 323F and currently doing a swap i have all the correct parts and even manage to source the Lantis type-R (jap spec) LSD and tried to fit this into the UK spec G-series Gearbox and the result is the Crown is about quater of an inch bigger compared the the original diff and will not sit in properly and the casing wont close!!! has anyone else tempted to do this???? or knows anyone tried? i was also wondering would the B6T LSD work instead???
Apologies for dragging up an old thread. I'm going to be the new owner of the very diff that Chi's referring to (if all goes to plan) but I'm kinda worried now. Am I likely to experience similar issues? I have a Lantis Type-R (without LSD obviously) so I assumed that this would be a straight swap. Does the fact that I have a V6 already mean my box is likely to be more compatible?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
spatter

Re:Inserting the jap spec Lantis LSD into the G-series Gearbox?

Hi guys I also having the same problem here I'm getting confuse of mazda parts and I don't even know where should i start I'm not mechanical person my friend does all the things that needed on my car I know how to drive but not really into the car. Trying to learn things first. Hopefully someone can answer this problem to help Chi_Lantis and me