Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 26-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #41
Chino
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20
yer?? cool i didnt think a rock hard coilover would do the job.. Tokico HP.. ill look into it..
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #42
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino View Post
yer?? cool i didnt think a rock hard coilover would do the job.. Tokico HP.. ill look into it..
not all coilovers are "rock hard"... Theres plenty that were developed for the car when it was circuit raced a few years back..

But the eibach springs + tokico shocks are pretty nice....essentially the same spring/shock setup that that limited edition mazda MP3 used in america...as well as the Mazdaspeed protege used...

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #43
Chino
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm View Post
not all coilovers are "rock hard"... Theres plenty that were developed for the car when it was circuit raced a few years back..

But the eibach springs + tokico shocks are pretty nice....essentially the same spring/shock setup that that limited edition mazda MP3 used in america...as well as the Mazdaspeed protege used...
so that setup come out on a stock car??
Old 26-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #44
LordWorm

Quote:
so that setup come out on a stock car??
more or less.. a pair of limited run models that were in the US only.. racing beat did the development on them and came up with the optimal shock/spring configuration, in conjunction with their bars... mazda took those specs (they were going to be koni shocks) and got tokico to build the shocks that went into production...

Its an upgrade for you, but yes, its pretty well a "standard" kinda thing (plenty of guys in the states roll on the eibach pro kit with tokico blues, or iluminas if you want adjustable shocks)

Old 26-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #45
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Eibach Pro-kit and Tokico HP (Blues) give you the best set-and-forget experience hands down.

Gav.
Well, to hijack this thread, but with a somewhat relevant question: I've got Bridgestone RE001 205/50 on Enkei RPF1 15x7 +41, which seems in line with the discussion here and I'm very happy with them (except for the annoying tyre squeel). But I'm wondering whether to go Tein Htech or Eibach Pro kit on Tokico Blues. Similar rates, but linear vs progressive. Could I have some thoughts please? Especially from Chicaboo, having used the prokit on the same model as me. Just for aggressive street/mountain, not track.
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #46
Chino
Banned

Quote:
more or less.. a pair of limited run models that were in the US only.. racing beat did the development on them and came up with the optimal shock/spring configuration, in conjunction with their bars... mazda took those specs (they were going to be koni shocks) and got tokico to build the shocks that went into production...

Its an upgrade for you, but yes, its pretty well a "standard" kinda thing (plenty of guys in the states roll on the eibach pro kit with tokico blues, or iluminas if you want adjustable shocks)
i want something a tad better then standard.. its gotta be able to turn in HARD and hold the road.. or will this do the track i HATE body roll.. iv only ever run hard coilovers..
Old 26-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #47
LordWorm

Quote:
i want something a tad better then standard.. its gotta be able to turn in HARD and hold the road.. or will this do the track i HATE body roll.. iv only ever run hard coilovers..
*sigh*

your car has a fantastic chassis.. its pretty darn rigid... they handle very well in the corners, even on standard delivered suspension.

The suspension that chicaboo has suggested was developed in part by Racing Beat, arguably the best mazda tuners on the planet.

That same suspension setup is on numerous cars, many of which i've had the pleasure of driving in, and they are scary quick in the right hands...but they are also INCREDIBLY comfortable to drive.

You need to decide if you are building a dedicated race car, or something you can live with on the street.

"standard" doesn't automatically mean "crap" especially if the "standard" you are talking about was tuned to provide the best balance between ride quality and handling....

By the way, most people have "only ever had coilovers"... "coil over shock" is what a mcpherson strut is... height adjustable coilovers only real difference is that you can lower the car... they generally have progressive springs which are fine for driving hard on, but not overly compliant on rough surfaces...

Old 26-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #48
Chino
Banned

coooool as.. dont sigh man thanks for bein patient with me lol good man
Old 27-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #49
SP20XX

Car: Mazda Astina 323 SP20 03 Hatch
with the 17's on, I got only millimeters between the inside of the guard
and the outside of the tyre. Then I have about 10mm between the tyre
the shock towers.
SP20XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #50
Cie_SP20

Car: Mazda 323 SP20
Send a message via MSN to Cie_SP20
I bought new 17x7.5 on the weekend with a 45 offset.
My car is lowered, the fronts fit perfectly but rear scrubs on the outside. I'm getting a local tyre/wheel shop to take a few ml from the offset and using spacers on the front so that i can still rotate them. I was really dissapointed that the scrubbed as i avoided buying the 18" for just that reason.
Cie_SP20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #51
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mondeo
Quote:
they generally have progressive springs which are fine for driving hard on, but not overly compliant on rough surfaces...

I thought it was the opposite with Progressive rate. (all things equal, assuming same shocks etc)

I though that since progressive have a lower rate at one end they are initially fairly compliant and stiffen as compression increases. since the street rarely sees full compression they should be fairly complaint.

whereas Linear rate are the same stiff rate the full length and therefore are stiff at all times.

that was my understanding anyway.

71.3kw@5341rpm - 394.4nm@3968rpm - Protek Dyno.
2000 Mazda MX5
hks_kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #52
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
Yeah, looks like a typo to me.

I was also wondering why the Prokit has a softer initial rate at the rear than stock.
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #53
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks_kansei View Post
I thought it was the opposite with Progressive rate. (all things equal, assuming same shocks etc)

I though that since progressive have a lower rate at one end they are initially fairly compliant and stiffen as compression increases. since the street rarely sees full compression they should be fairly complaint.

whereas Linear rate are the same stiff rate the full length and therefore are stiff at all times.

that was my understanding anyway.
whoops..yeah you're right..got muddled up... yeah progressive are more compliant... linear are more predictable.

Old 28-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #54
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mondeo
ah, I'm glad you got muddled.

I was looking at my springs on the floor (progressive) and thinking I made a big mistake, I bought them for the apparently stock-like comfort.

71.3kw@5341rpm - 394.4nm@3968rpm - Protek Dyno.
2000 Mazda MX5
hks_kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #55
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks_kansei View Post
ah, I'm glad you got muddled.

I was looking at my springs on the floor (progressive) and thinking I made a big mistake, I bought them for the apparently stock-like comfort.
Yeah - the eibachs (if thats what you have) give stock-like comfort (perhaps even a little better than stock, on the SP20 at least) - but as you load them up they become very stiff, so you get best of both worlds....

Old 15-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #56
mclucky

I just bought 17x8 with 40 series tyres
Standard springs
Hope they fit ok!
mclucky is offline   Reply With Quote