Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Moons

Car: 1991 Mazda 323 Astina BG
Send a message via MSN to Moons
What would be the ultimate BG. Need ideas!

I have a 1991 323 astina, i want to overhaul the whole thing and make it an awsome car.
Need ideas

what i have so far
momo steering wheel
momo pedals
autotechnika race seat with 3 inch 5 point harness (from when i used the car for rally, it holds u it like no tomorrrow)
and thanks to Jess a 2050w sound system and more neons lights inside the car then a disco

so far what im thinking is
Engine
gtr engine full rebuild with forged pistons, new cams, balancing, ect.
new turbo
intercooler
front strut bar

Body
full panel beat ( gravel roads)
dark metallic blue paint
full body kit (any recommendations)
tint windows

Wheels
17 inch rims
coilovers (i have a machinist who will make anything for me, titanium strut tops :P)

Interior
new dials
passenger bucket seat
4 point seat belts (5 points take forever to put on)
fiberglass new inside dash ect.

Misc
shave off the door handles and have pop doors from key ring (will take a while but i think the car has the lines to pull it off) or keyless entry.
new alarm systems, hood, boot, doors, interior sensor alarms
18 or 20 inch screen in the parcel shelf (already workin on it)
ps2 (ever tried runnin a ps3 off an inverter, doesn't work to well)
7 inch pop out screen seconary head unit for reverse cam ect.
power windows

any ideas would help, i got nothin but time to work on the car.
Moons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Moons

i have to go to work so i'll check this thread at the end of the day, thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Why do you need ideas seems you have enough

Maybe just need a gearbox to hold the power
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
everythibg you have suggested has been done before to a bg.
come up with something new to make it the ultimate bg.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
ultimate... depends what looks or performance...
looks.. full fiberglass body(not a kit a whole shell), one piece with a flipped hood that comes up with side guards, swept sizzor doors, n no rear doors haha im gonna get burned 4 that
performance a 4wd turbo system with rediculusly wide tyres??? hydraulic suspension (or on electronic actuators, now that would b awesome :P)
haha i missed the point completly ay
Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
i got a better idea, dont spend money on all that pap

put a supercharged BP DOHC in the front, and another supercharged BP DOHC in the back

then have fun working out gears unless you like an auto :P

get 220-240hp at the wheels from each and you would have a monster!

making it ultimate would be getting it engineered for the road though :P
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Moons

i was thinking of removing the back doors, but i kinda like them, and making new doors is going extreme. already working on fiberglass panels.
the 20 inch screen in the parcel shelf is giving me greaf, gotta make something that senses when the boot is fully open and hydrolically raises the screen. i was askin for ideas cause u guys know what u've seen, i wanna know what u want to see, what u think would be good. heads up display and new fiberglass interior, make things nice and smooth.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
is the screen pointing out or in?

if its out then take a view at alot of the old pimp my ride (yeah i know i know)

but they hooked it to the boot, so it kinda just lifted up and out as the boot raised up.

could work in your situation if you wanted a low-tech way to do it, otherwise make the boot useless, fiberglass the whole boot opening, and inside of the boot have the tv flushmounted into the fiberglass on electronic acuators (linear ones) and have it raise up at a touch of a button.

you could do the same with some audio gear to make it hidden from view too.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Moons

facing outwards, i go to a lot of rev parties, i was thinking a switch that hits when the boot is fully open, then the parcel shelf lifts up like it normally does on those strings but have that on a seperate hydrolic ram. the shape of the boot and how the door opens actually makes a great sound shell. I have to rebuilt the whole inside of the boot to fit the speaker box in, im gonna fiberglass the whole inside, doing that will alow me to put in 2 more 10 inch subs in the side walls. i need a lot of sound for doing fire twirling shows, i just reverse the car up and it's my music. there is only 1 problem with the astina's boot, it gets really hot!
i was also thinking of making the back a 2 seater with a fiberglass arm rest and a few lil speakers, padded up so it's really comfy.
thats the audio side, also i got heaps of neons and all hooked up to a dancer so they flash in time with the music, no neons under the car tho.
i know i added a bit of weight with the speakers and i got a crap engine, so i was thinking a gtr or gtx engine, i wounder if u can set up the gtr for twin turbo? anyone know? i know it would be more pipe work.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
picsorban
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
What's your budget?
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussing View Post
What's your budget?
budget...?

i don't think he knows the meaning of the word

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
Moons

what is a budget? i'm spendin min $10k on the new engine bay.
also i can do a lot of the stuff like custom fiberglassing myself. i think a custom body kit would be good, modify one from a different car or something.
im planning to keep modin the car until i get what i want, no matter how long or much it costs.
the screen in the back is gonna murder me, it could be so simple or complicated, thing is i want ppl that see the car just to see a parcel shelf, until it's opened up.
i'm nearly always stuck in the bush with the car and tools so i got so much time to work on it, but u guys in the city see a lot more ideas and know more about moddin engines with new parts.
im still stuck in the carby age out here.
i just wanted to see what ppl can think of, good ideas and i'll try them out.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #14
Rice_86

Car: bg Mazda astina daily,AE86 Toyota Sprinter fri/sat night, Mazda rx4 and Mazda 1300 for good times
I reckon if you set up a pair of tracks between where the hatch meets up with the bodywork at the back of the car and a frame built between the rear strut towers you could set up a slide rail set up to make that screen work the way you want it.
Have a look at how a filing cabinet works (well mine anyway). You will see it has a pair of wheels attached to the drawer that slide along a track attached to the inner wall of the filing cabinet that eventually tapers to prevent the drawer coming all the way out. If you build that frame between the strut towers and where the hatch meets the bodywork you would be able to use it to attach the tracks to.Face the screen picture down in the boot and then attach some wheels to the side of the screen at the further end (looking into the boot from the hatch). Then find a way to fix the closer end of the screen to a point on the hatch that way allowing the screen to pull forward on the tracks as the hatch is lifted until it reaches the end of the tracks,locking into place in an upright position facing outside the car.
It would take a bit of engineering but you seem creative enough to pull it off...
Rice_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
Moons

thats a good idea. i'll have a look and see if i can use it. Actuators and rams seems like the best cause it's simple to put together and can be hidden very easy. but ye cause i'm rebuilding the boot interior then i could possibly hide the tracks.
My boss is a electronic expert, he's currently working on a design and new rear light LED system, i just got to think of a good design for diode placement, and if it's good then i'll make a few and give em to ppl who want them. it will take a few months tho, cause i also want the 323 to work as a break light, just lots of fiddling.
I work in geophysical logging, so some of the probes are radioactive, me and my boss were thinking of rigging up a giger counter guage just for a joke, i hardly ever look at the guages but it would be funny to go
"boost good, speed going up, rpm 5000, natural radiation safe level, oil pressure ok"
Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Moons

and the single most anoying thing is
i can't decide if i want all curvy fiberglass work done of if i make it with clean lines like the outside of the car, whats the bet i'll make one then throw it away because i don't like it
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
have a look at the X-35 JSF jet u might get some ideas. it has all flat pannels so its stealthy on radar if u have problem with diode placement u can make a circle that lights up (as a rearlight) then wen u break the diods light up more and a line of diods that goes thru the circle lights up (as in a stop or prohibited sign ) or what u can do is just do horisontal lines, many of them. n every 3rd is a indicator, n every 3rd is a stop n the remaining lines is a tail light. just horisontal lines. simple but effective. as for the screen i suggest the idea that Rice_86 had but with rollers on tracs on the bottom of the screen n the top of the screen is hinged on the hatch lid. replace the gas struts with liniar actuators. make a PCB that when a switch is pressed (or a sequence of switches so its not accidental) the actuators open the hatch n the screen comes on by itself (this PCB might also control the solanoid for the boot release ) haha i wish i had a huge buget
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #18
mickey_323

Car: protege 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
everythibg you have suggested has been done before to a bg.
come up with something new to make it the ultimate bg.
+1

do something totally new

and i second that call for some pics!
mickey_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #19
Moons

im in perth until the end of october, :@ i hate my work sometimes. So im stuck 800km from my car , i'll try and have someone take some pics and e-mail then to me, the only thing in the boot so far is a inside shell for a basic design for sub and amp box, i use as a frame for the fiberglassing later on, but it will give u an idea of how it may be set out.
those simple straight line of LEDs i think would look best
now i'm going to play ps3 for a while, i finally got initial d for it. i been waiting ages
i thought i put up some pics on facebook but i've only got concept pics from other cars there, friend David Bootsma and i should be able to direct u to the fan site for the car, but you will have to wait a week until i can get the pics uploaded
Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #20
Moons

Initial D for ps3 is great.
what rims do you think is the best in 17", i was thinking rolling guards a nd putting 18" but i just don't know if it would look good, i want rubber on the road, not rim :P