Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Coilover suspension vs. Replacement suspension parts

Coilover suspension versus Replacement suspension parts

After running on 35mm low king springs for the last 18 months, i have come to realise the complete waste of money that this was.

Recently I installed a set of JIC SA-1s and found that the are far superior to the other springs. In all fairness I do have to say that the original shocks were still in and very well worn out.

After installing the coilovers i found a: -
20% increase in mid corner speed,
30% increase in braking in speed,
50% increase in corner out speed, (this really was a surprise!!!)

I have had no problems that other people have suggested about regards ride quality/harseness. I also have 18 inch rims woth 35mm profile tyres fitted. So i know about ride quality/harseness. No tyre scrubbing at lowered settings, (currently 55mm lowered.) I had massive tyre scrubbing in the rears on the kings 35mm. Turn in/toe in is awesome. Adjustable top ball mount give great flexability to the suspension and can adjust for the positive camber during cornering/turn in.

Adjustable Top Mount, a must have!!!

Turn in very good!!!

All suspension parts move freely and safely!!!

Even at this height, there is no scrubing on the rears, even with 18 inch rims!!!

Now to the point of this whole thread. Coilovers are a massive increase in brake/cornering/acceleration. Why speed big dollars on new shocks, springs, camber kits when for 20% extra to get a product 200% better.

D2 RS coilovers $1750rrp, Tein SS coilovers $2400rrp, JIC SA-1s coilovers $2200.

Personally i would buy the D2 coilovers for my car as the have a excellent front spring rate over the Teins and are priced to sell over the JICs.

Edit/
I should also point out that they are not other suspension mods on my car so this is a direct comparison with each suspension types. So it is a controlled test between the both suspensions. And the increase in speeds was versus kings/struts and not the standard suspension. As I have no other suspesion mods, I believe when all these are added, those speed increases will jump up again. eg:- rear sway bar, front and rear strut braces (both a must on hatches with coilovers,) and poly brushes. This thing will rocket out of corners and give the current passenger very brown pants.

Drive safely,
Ryan

p.s. Thanks to The Bat for lending me his coilovers. You are the bomb and a great friend to have!

p.p.s. Hi Catwoman, I didn't forget you. Thanks for puting up with me all day!
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links