Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 17-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #161
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by phly View Post
As you can probably already tell, i'm pretty indecisive. Im actually thinking of getting coilovers again now (just changed my mind in those last couple of minutes after talking to some friends). Just wondering how hard it is to adjust the height of coilovers? Could I (with no practical mechanical knowledge) easily do it. I reckon i'd be adjusting the height once a week if it was easy, cuz I drive my car on alternate weeks. For the week i dont drive it, I park it at the back of my house which has a really really steep hill which I can climb up easily at the moment at stock height.
Yep, it's easy. It'll take longer to jack your car than to adjust them.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #162
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Boy View Post
Seriously mate, walk away now... This bloke is BSing through his teeth to try and make a quick sale with you, and has given you 2 or 3 pieces of advice that is just blantantly not correct.

Boge are DEFINATELY not the same as KYB...
Thanks for that Astro Boy. I kind of got that feeling when he keeps pushing particular products. I've noticed that the products hes pushing me on to buy are the ones they distribute (ie Boges and the Kings). Looks like i'm going somewhere else now. So glad theyre booked out and didnt put in the order for this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Yep, it's easy. It'll take longer to jack your car than to adjust them.
And I like the sound of that, more inclined to go to JustJap to pick up a set of G4 coilovers now. Will weekly height adjustments stuff up the coilovers though? And whats the process involved in adjusting the height of the coilovers? Whats the part number for G4 coilovers for the BA Astina Hatchback? (So many questions as usual )
phly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #163
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
And I like the sound of that, more inclined to go to JustJap to pick up a set of G4 coilovers now. Will weekly height adjustments stuff up the coilovers though? And whats the process involved in adjusting the height of the coilovers? Whats the part number for G4 coilovers for the BA Astina Hatchback? (So many questions as usual )
Not sure on the specifics of G4s, but it's usually 2 collars that lock together, and are loosened by some c-spanners. Then the collars are adjusted up or down, and retightened.

You wont adjust them that often, i guarantee. But as long as you give the threads a quick clean then it wont wear them, and they wont be prone to jamming.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #164
phly
AstinaGT Regular

I probably wouldnt wanna adjust it weekly but because of the way my house is designed it looks like I might need to, to get my car to the backyard. Either that or park it on the street which is what i'll probably end up doing knowing how lazy I am LOL
Old 17-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #165
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
adjusting G4 coilovers is different from what dan just described. with G4s you lossen 2 allen key bolts near the strut feet and turn the whole shock clock-wise to lower or anticlock-wise to highten.

the bugger is the the rear sway bar connector rod gets in the way of the lower of the allen key bolts on the rear left shock. so it has to be removed to adjust the heights in the rears.

but as dan said, it's an easy job... took me 7 minutes to adjust the height of the front coilovers of my car. that included jacking up the car and removing the wheels.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #166
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Sounds like alot of trouble . Especially when I dont know what im doing. And weekly... Hmmm LOL. I wouldve thought thered be a twistie thing at the top of the strut in the engine bay that i could just turn. Must adjust something else?

What about D2s? Same height adjustment method?
Old 17-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #167
newman
Banned

Car: KF Laser fwd BPT
my g4 coilovers are the same as what dan described, no hex keys at all

you wouldn't change the height that often because it will though out your alignment, particularly camber
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #168
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
my g4 coilovers are the same as what dan described, no hex keys at all
you don't adjust it at the strut feet? you are using the spring feet bolts??? that'll hurt ya dampers if you've lowered it too much. and affect or rebound handling.
Old 18-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #169
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
Quote:
Sounds like alot of trouble . Especially when I dont know what im doing. And weekly... Hmmm LOL. I wouldve thought thered be a twistie thing at the top of the strut in the engine bay that i could just turn. Must adjust something else?

What about D2s? Same height adjustment method?
I imagine you'd get faster at it though! Is it possible to get a ramp for this weird spot of your house to drive up?

Otherwise there's this option
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzQQe...eature=related
Old 18-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #170
newman
Banned

to adjust the height in mine, there is a lock nut at the bottom, and there is another nut just above the arm that the hub bolts on to. i loosen both of those with C spanners, then i turn the entire coilover either clockwise or anti clockwise to adjust height. no hex bolts anywhere. i DO NOT CHANGE THE TENTION ON THE SPRING AT ALL!

Old 18-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #171
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Cool. Thanks heaps for that newman. Yeah it doesnt seem like its something i'd be doing every week. Gotta reconsider now. Decisions decisions again...

But anyway, gonna take my car into Pedders, hopefully tomorrow if they have time for me and get a 28 point test done to see what they reckon (probably shouldve done that first before deciding what parts to buy). I'm assuming i'd need to replace more than just shocks and springs from the sounds that my car is occasionally making
Old 18-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #172
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
Ooof, pedders! Last time i went in for one of those free point checks they did the report but stuck their sticker on my windscreen, still gotta get some glue/sticker remover.

good luck!
Old 18-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #173
project.r.racing

Quote:
look like my wheel well - but where it's blue, mine is purple. same brakes and rotors.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #174
newman
Banned

so what were the hex bolts you were talking about?
Old 18-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #175
project.r.racing

Quote:
so what were the hex bolts you were talking about?
longish answer so wont go into it now.

the point i was making is that with JIC, you adjust it at the spring feet. the bit you don't touch on D2/G4/K-Sports etc.

ryan
Old 18-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #176
newman
Banned

yeah, i must of been getting mixed up with spring feet and strut foot. idiot.