Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 24-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
lovemyBG

Car: BG Astina
Send a message via MSN to lovemyBG
Cheap mods for BG

Ok, my situation is that I'm not allowed to sell my BG. Instead I have to save up everything I need for a new car.
Now I love doing mods to my car and while I've been saving I can't justify spending the extra money on the BG.
Does anyone have any suggestions for some cheap interior and exterior mods I could do to it?
Coz it's killing me having an almost stock car..

**As I am a P-plater in Vic I'm not allowed to have any mods which increase performance, which rules out CAI, cannon.. etc..
lovemyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
1. Badly paint all the black plastic in your car red.
2. Drill a giant white faced monster tacho onto the dash.
3. Get yourself some chrome plated hubcups.
4. Get a full Sony X-plod sound system with exposed wiring.
5. And finally, get a 5" canon and 3" exhaust.

Gav.

EDIT:
6. Don't forget the ill-fitting Playboy or Franjipanni seat covers!
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
lovemyBG

Aren't those prerequisites for a commodore owner? :P

And fyi. they weren't playboy or franjipanni seat covers.. they were hot pink everlast! :P
Old 24-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
You love it!
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
6. Don't forget the ill-fitting Playboy or Franjipanni seat covers!
...and the matching Frangipani number plates from Vicroads

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
lovemyBG

my bf and i helped a mate to put a monster taco in his auto vn commy the other day.. just drilled it in to the dash lol.. its got a shift light too..
although why you would need that in an auto is beyond me lol..

when i meant cheap i meant inexpensive.. not tacky!
Old 24-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
karamello

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BG
Send a message via MSN to karamello
any 'good' modification is going to come at a price. if your saving up for another car then all youll be doing is devaluing your bg while making it harder for yourself to save for the next car..IMO keep the bg as it is. i know its hard not to modify it but youll get that next car quicker!
karamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
lovemyBG

im not allowed to sell my BG at all.. so im planning on just letting it sit there once ive got a new car..
mainly selling it coz i dont like driving a small car with no power.. if it had a DOHC engine... or was manual i wouldnt mind it.. but an auto SOHC... not my kinda thing.

i just upgraded my sound system.. which has kinda taken the edge of wanting to mod it more for now lol.. but i mainly did that coz i know its easy to take it out and put it in a new car..
Old 24-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyBG View Post
my bf and i helped a mate to put a monster taco in his auto vn commy the other day..
*Facepalm*

There's nothing wrong with having an almost-stock car if the mods you could have would only make people cringe when they get in it / pull up at the lights next to you. That said, here's my suggestions:

1. If you're annoyed at the car's lack of power, drive it like you mean it. Put your foot to the floor, rev high, have fun. Think about it: the difference on a quarter mile between a stock N/A SOHC and DOHC is only about a second- although I haven't driven an auto SOHC so I guess that could put a damper on it.

2. Since you can't do performance mods, put in some sound deadening to enjoy your sound system a bit more, and give your doors a nice 'thud'. Screw dynamat etc, you can pick up some cheap stuff from jaycar that you just glue to the inside of the door. It makes a massive difference, believe me. Also, put some heatshrink on your lockrods so they don't rattle.

3. Lurk ebay, gumtree, boostcruising etc for some cheap 15 or 16 inch wheels that you can whack on the car. There's a lot to be found if you're looking, and if all you find are crappy ones then buy some dirt cheap and fix them up or paint them black and polish the edge.

4. Get a tint. It's harder to justify in winter, yes, but business is probably better for tint places in summer so you might get a good deal or score a discount.

5. Just change your username to 'hatemyBG'.
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
lovemyBG

lol we told him he was stupid to do it... but he works at autobarn.. what do you expect?

thanks for the suggestions.. much appreciated.. lol i trash that car.. if something else breaks.. im not fixing it.. hopefully someone writes it off for me.. $4000 insurance pay out!
*Ever since I started trashing it I've started getting better fuel economy.. Just coincidence... or has anyone else noticed that?

Idea #2 sounds really good.. Ever since I got the new torque converter put in my locks rattle something shocking.. usually I just try and turn the music up so I can't hear it lol.

Idea #3 is pretty good too.. If I can get my hands on some rims with tires for under $300 I'd be happy as..

If I got a tint, would they remove and re-fit the windscreen? Only asking coz my windscreen leaks on the drivers side when it rains and I'm too lazy to get it fixed.. I've tried using solastic to fix it.. but it didn't help..

Thanks again
Old 24-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
mussing

Quote:
*Ever since I started trashing it I've started getting better fuel economy.. Just coincidence... or has anyone else noticed that?
Er nope, in my experience only the opposite has been true. Maybe your power band is higher for some reason, but in the absence of a bigger exhaust etc to make it so that doesn't make much sense. I would assume that either your flogging of the car has been in less traffic, or there's some other factor contributing to your fuel economy, or that it is a mistaken perception.

Quote:
If I got a tint, would they remove and re-fit the windscreen? Only asking coz my windscreen leaks on the drivers side when it rains and I'm too lazy to get it fixed.. I've tried using solastic to fix it.. but it didn't help..
They wouldn't remove and refit the windscreen just for a normal tint. In fact they'd stay away from the windscreen entirely, as it's illegal to tint it since it affects your forwards visibility, which is a big no-no. How much does it leak? You should get that fixed sooner rather than later, as it's probably rusting out the inside of wherever the water is getting. If you had a windscreen repairer fix the leak and paint primer over the rust that I'm assuming will be there it'll cost a lot less than waiting 'til the windscreen cracks and replacing the whole thing.
Old 24-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
karamello

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BG
Send a message via MSN to karamello
ive owned both a auto sohc bg and a manual sp now...and i can tell you that the different is like light and day, its just a whole different car when you drive it. and remember, one second on the 1/4 mile is alot

but i think mussings suggestions are good ones..wheels being the best option
karamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
or alternatively check your insurance see if you get windscreen cover, if so have someone accidentally on purpose smash it... and when your done with your car send it my way.... i need some panels and interior components for mine

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
lovemyBG

well... Every time I stop.. I put my foot down lol. No matter where it is. I'm also running E10(the cheap fuel) at the moment.. Average tank I used to get max 400km.. Lately I've been getting at least 500km.

It leaks at the top corner of the drivers side.. Drips onto my seat so I usually have to sit on a towel after its been raining.. You can see the water stain in the roof lining. How much do you think it would cost to have the windscreen re-fitted?
(I've only got third party fire and theft, so I'm not covered for windscreen repairs)

Ghoru- Body damage front left quarter and rear right wheel arch, still interested? I'll pm you if I'm ever allowed to sell it.
Old 24-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
Ghoru

damn thats the panels i needed lol!

Old 24-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
lovemyBG

Still going through insurance to get the damage fixed.. If I can get it fixed do you want them?
Old 24-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #17
Ghoru

will wait and see if i can get anything local first

Old 24-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #18
mussing

Cost me something like $220 to get my entire windscreen replaced, including repriming the metal around where it sat. Only took about an hour too.
Old 24-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
how can you be not allowed to sell something?

leak will be where the roof/a pillar + windscreen meet. if you can dry it out and silicone it properly (take off the inside a-pillar trim etc) you can probably stop it. only problem is it probably has rusted.

otherwise a windscreen mob will be able to fix it and it shouldnt cost much (they won't even remove it, just dry it and run silicone over the seal)

oh, if you're looking for dirt cheap mod options, dont do any. any decent mod costs $$$. bummer about the SOHC + auto, what are you saving for?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
4ORGD

Car: 323 Astina, AH civic hatch
Quote:
Aren't those prerequisites for a commodore owner? :P

And fyi. they weren't playboy or franjipanni seat covers.. they were hot pink everlast! :P
thats soo true it hurts
4ORGD is offline   Reply With Quote