Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 03-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
jrp928

323f fuel pickup problem

This is a 91 1.8 DOHC SP, 260k km. Once tank is below half full, every right turn produces a loss of power while the g loads are there, and it doesnt return until you slow right down, side loads come off. Fill it up, fine. Pulled the pump cover off, cleaned the pick up filter, still bad. The pump and filter sit in a little bathtub across the car above the tank bottom, with the pump base and filter going to the right, so fuel sloshing to the left on a rh turn runs away from filter. It was pretty dirty in there, and I removed as much of the dirt as I could without completely emptying the tank. Is this just a symptom of a failing pump, or something else? Can the in tank filter be bought separately? Thinking back I dont understand how the bathtub thing stays full of fuel - the return line runs into it, but unless there is a valve or something allowing fuel in on slosh but not out, how does it work?
thanks,
jp
jrp928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-12-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
geetee

Car: A Mazda 323F BJ Sport.
Send a message via MSN to geetee
i would probably say the return line keeps it constantly filled up mate.
have you fixed the problem yet? :?
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
jrp928

Yes thats what first occurred to me. However, when you think about it, if the return is 80% of whats pumped to the front, eventually it will empty, unless more is added to the little tub by something. Most efi pumps will do ~ 1 litre/min unrestricted, so it wouldnt take long IMHO. Can it just be sloshing that is relied on to keep it above the input filter? How could you ever use the whole tank on a long smooth flat drive (eg Nullabor plain)?
No, I still have the problem. I dont want to just throw $ at it until I understand better whats going on. Mazda do supply the pick up filter at $65, but not in stock. Petroject list new pump at $220+gst, should include a filter. From the crap in the tank I will have to drain it fully and clean it well. I did the filter last year, so it probably needs another one now, which is a bugger - I get more cuts and bruises from this job than any other car I have ever worked on!

jp 90 red sp
jrp928 is offline   Reply With Quote