Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #181
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
your house was busy today then Marc! i wonder how long the f series will last? 12 months? forever? time will tell i suppose!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #182
maztech

Car: ......
Been talking boxes with Phil and little plans are in place.
Otherwise awesome car, fixed speedo and handbrake light today now I happy with the conversion --- time well spent working everything out.
Now for brakes and suspension work Phil
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #183
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Cool. now you guys can continue to help me hahaha
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #184
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
your house was busy today then Marc! i wonder how long the f series will last? 12 months? forever? time will tell i suppose!
LOL yeah, met up with 4 members of AGT today, on 3 different occasions
Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #185
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
Just had Phil & Jared over, and after going through some of my old rear swaybar install photo's, we have come to the conclusion that the one Phil has may be off the the AWD version, as the mounting points are horizontal, whereas my old AutoExe bar were diagonal:

She sounds mental as though, and it may have converted me

Cheers
Marc
Thanks for posting the pics Marc, the rear sway bar certainly is different to what I have on my car now and what you had.
And it sure does sound mental and it goes mental too, just like the owner
I think if you drive it you may be converted like I have been.(I think Maztech has been too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
i wonder how long the f series will last? 12 months? forever? time will tell i suppose!

Im not nasty to my car all the time, Most of the time its stuck in city traffic(hence the worn out clutch) so hopefully the gearbox will last me a while as the first one broke a diff while it was parked on the side of the road and the second was faulty from day one and this one seems OK.
After the brakes and suspension the gearbox a LSD is next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztech View Post
Been talking boxes with Phil and little plans are in place.
Otherwise awesome car, fixed speedo and handbrake light today now I happy with the conversion --- time well spent working everything out.
Now for brakes and suspension work Phil
Thanks again Jared(Maztech) for all your help.
I know you certainly enjoyed driving my car.
You seemed to have a huge grin on your face the whole time, the same thing happens to me now.
When we have done the suspension and brakes done we will aim it at mt nebo and you can light the fuse the first time and see what happens...

The brakes are being ordered this week and now its time for new springs and shocks and hopefully we should be able to find all the bushes etc need to fit these crazy braces and those sway bars.
Any one knows what are the best available for my Astina??
Now for sale Pedders lowered springs and comfort shocks 15000 kms use perfect condition just not good enough for this much power.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #186
maztech

Car: ......
No problem Phil I enjoyed getting your motor running properly - when many said it couldn't be done

Now to organize bushes for bars and mounting methods of chassis bracing have a coulpe of options for you .

Will look into different ways to modify the rear sway bar links and mounts.

Last edited by maztech; 02-10-2011 at 11:05 AM.
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #187
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
F series g/box - doubt it will have issues with light clutch and no lsd.

I noticed these were different and commented on them being from a Sport20 due the the shape.

Whom (many) said this couldn't be done?

Tis very exciting to see it running like it should.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 02-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #188
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Orion found his original springs to be better for track stuff then his current Eibachs from memory but likes the Eibachs over his originals for daily stuff and stance.

In regards to the best, BC coilovers are meant to be brilliant and not too harsh. After that Eibachs/Autoexe springs according to many

Illuminas or Blues paired with Eibachs are meant to be a killer combo (Ill be fetching a set of Illuminas to go with car in the not too distant future )
Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #189
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
For to ask, what brakes are going on?
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #190
phildough
Banned

For the moment im getting DBA street series slotted discs and QFM A1RM pads and some HPX pads for the rear.
If thats not good enough for me then I will go custom.
This car has just become a massive money pit.
I was thinking of buying a weekend car to play with, not with the list of things my car now needs.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #191
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
Exciting stuff! Well done.

How did you fix the speedo? I had some issues with the instrument cluster and ended up using a Dakota Digital speedo calibrator, which works, but the needle flicks up and down a bit sometimes. I haven't bothered fixing it yet, but it would be nice to have a steady needle.

BC kit is working well for me, I would reccomend it if you like driving in the hills and don't mind it wearing out quicker than stock type struts. I had to reset the front ride height after installing the V6. Not just the extra weight, but the sump and exhaust sits a little lower in the bay than the I4. The weighbridge I used showed an increase of about 40-50kg to between 1,170-80kg (it only rounds to nearest 20kg).
Enkei RPF1 15x7, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 205/50 R15, RDA slotted rotors, HPX pads.

SOLD
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #192
TheMAN

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildough View Post
Some more toys for the car arrived today!!
Thanks Rupe.
please take close up pics of how it's all installed.. I was always curious how it is all fitted because of the low res pics from autoexe

do you have the instructions? would be nice to see too

that rear sway bar is for the 4WD btw (the end links are a dead giveaway)
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #193
phildough
Banned

Yes the rear bar is wrong so it looks like I have a 4WD sway bar for sale, anyone interested??

Re dynoed the car today and it managed to put out a whole 91.8 kw ATW, it was a bit hot and muggy at the time.

My car with FS-ZE VS FP-DE

My car VS 2 other FS-DE's
Old 15-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #194
phildough
Banned

Looking at the differences in the engines its the torque differences that surprise me the most.
Old 15-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #195
Ice88

Yeah so effectively losing about 40% to gearbox and old age. (I know the engine isn't that old but I doubt 40% is all gearbox ) Shame, wish there was no loss xD

And yeah I think that's what makes the most difference in the car phil when you drive it the powers nice but the get up and go is the part I love.

Last edited by Ice88; 15-10-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #196
phildough
Banned

I could be loosing a lot of power spinning those heavy 17" rims.
I lost a lot of power suddenly between dyno days(15 KW) and im thinking its the rims.
Should I refit my stock 14" rims for dyno day to see if im correct?
Old 15-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #197
Ice88

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildough View Post
I could be loosing a lot of power spinning those heavy 17" rims.
I lost a lot of power suddenly between dyno days(15 KW) and im thinking its the rims.
Should I refit my stock 14" rims for dyno day to see if im correct?
Would alter your gearing alot too. What about your old 17s?

Up to you tbh man. It would be kinda neat though ^-^ if not slightly depressing pending on results.
Old 16-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #198
phildough
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice88 View Post
Would alter your gearing alot too. What about your old 17s?

Up to you tbh man. It would be kinda neat though ^-^ if not slightly depressing pending on results.
My old rims were much lighter than these from memory, that why I thought I lost power, I think Marc also changed rims in between dyno runs, maybe thats where his missing KW went too.
All sets of rims and tyres have an almost identical circumference so they shouldn't affect the gearing.
Also the MS Familia has a lightened flywheel that I have sitting in the shed, maybe thats a few KW?
Ice if you still have your steel 14" rim as a spare im sure on dyno day Ric will test this theory out for us.
Old 16-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #199
phildough
Banned

Also I think we might try and pull every trick known for the few extra KW to make 100 at dyno day.
New plugs, leads and air filter cleaned, some octane booster as the ECU is tuned for JDM 100 octane not our pus weak 98 if your lucky premium.
Also I know of a few other tricks so we might try everything possible. Except for NOS
Old 16-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #200
TheMAN

Car: .
lightened flywheels do not add power, but they do help improve racing driveability

the lightened flywheel will not work with your F25M-R gearbox... it is too big... you really need to locate an SP20 G15M-R gearbox and make the conversion... not only is it a stronger gearbox, but it will allow you to properly use the flywheel and have an LSD fitted

the FS-ZE ECU you are using is nothing special... mazda did nothing with the ECU tune for the MSF... all they did was use the 4WD Sport20 FS-ZE ECU; off the shelf part.... at minimum, the JIS standard for high octane petrol is 98 RON... but I won't be surprised if the actual mechanical nature of the motor makes it need 100 RON

I am not surprised you got ~92kw on the dyno... my car made only 84.27kw with retarded timing, crappy stock exhaust manifold/precat, racing beat cat back exhaust, autoexe intake, and autoexe throttle body.... the engine had both FS-ZE cams and intake manifold.... stock 9.1:1 compression pistons the whole time.... there are quite a few others on the US board who had install these 10.7:1 high compression pistons, cams, and headers without really making much more than I did... the results were similar to what you got

I now run this same motor setup under boost.... using the stock MSP turbo kit with hard pipe kit, custommsp intercooler, a custom made downpipe, ported stock manifold and outlet pipe..... I am making about 135kw on a bad day, but can easily be 150kw on a nice cool day

I think your dyno results were pretty good and are as good as it gets
oh and according to my JDM shop manual, the MSF engine needs to run colder plugs... it should be running ZFR7F-11 to prevent preignition

don't forget... it is also possible that your engine maybe equipped with the revised exhaust cam... there are 2 different mazdaspeed exhaust cams, the original one and the revised one issued under a TSB.... the revised on reduces the performance by about 1.5% to fix a cold weather stalling issue

Last edited by TheMAN; 16-10-2011 at 06:02 PM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote