Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 13-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Exclamation burning oil smell.

hey i have had this burning oil smell in my car 4 about 4 days now . i have not i dea what is happening. it just stinks. does any body have any ideas on what it might be. any info will be greatly appreciated. i have a sohc 1.8 bg engine. its done about 205k. if that helps.
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
andrewgrazier

this could be annything
check to see if the rocker cover gasket isnt making oil leak onto your exhaust headder thing
andrewgrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
My guess would be an oil leak is dripping onto something hot, and burning

Seriously though take the car to the local power wash and give the engine a cleaning like it’s never been cleaned before. Before you park you need to make sure where you park your car over night is spotlessly clean (‘cos you will be looking for spots). Park the car and check the next morning to see where the oil has dropped.
Mark with chalk where your wheels are so you can reference the drip/s. You may have to leave the car there for two to three days running the engine once or twice.
Old 13-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Dutchy

Car: BG Astina SP Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Dutchy
Have u changed the oil and filter lately...
When taking the oil filter off u can quite easily spill some oil onto the exhaust.

if ya spill a good few drops the oil may take a few days to burn off!
Ive done it a few times my self now i just cover the exhaust for a min while i take the filter off!

Cheers
Jeremy
Old 14-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
mcwilly

Car: 323 astina
when i got my car serviced they dropped oil on my exhaust and by the time i got home there was smoke pooring out of my bonnet. i think it was a bit more then a few drops lol.
Old 14-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
I shall answer in the form of a anecdote,

A flatmate decided his car need a big fill up of oil. Why I do not know.
Anyway no need to check dipstick nor worry that he fills it up every week (three year old car).
So yeah just poured a litre or two in. Chucks the cap on, few hours later I come home and off to the shops we go.

And I can smell something funny I turn round and a cloud thicker than any smoke I have ever seen is mysteriously chasing us down the road.
(Skippy stops to laugh for a while)

Anyway drive to workshop they take about 3 litres of oil out and tell him to run the car for a few hours to burn it off revving every so often, which he did. Our place 50meters from where he parked it got stunk out, his car stunk for ages but the smoking stopped after about two hours of sitting there running with a few revs now and then.

Maybe a mechanic mis-read one of those oil measuring draining device catcher funnel type things, you know the ones…. and yeah overfilled it,
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
yer they could of. but ever since i got the new clutch put in the car is running like a heap of ****.
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote