Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 12-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #41
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
well there you go ... i have always thought maxxis was the worst possible tyre you could buy

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #42
andrewgrazier

My old ford had some retreads which started to catch on fire doing 110 down the freeway!! there was smoke everywhere, after one blew :S
andrewgrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #43
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
well there you go ... i have always thought maxxis was the worst possible tyre you could buy
really? why?

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #44
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

they are the super hard things taxi's use ... but i guess its onyl a brand ... the tyres you looked at look pretty neat

hmmm ... time to do the tax :S

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 13-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #45
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
taxis - ah really? LOL

got a price for them - in 215/40/17-87 they're about $180ea fitted. for the price they're worth a look i think

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #46
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
Like what Twiggy and the others said, I was looking at the Proxes T1-R but the wear is not so good, so put a pair of yoko c.drives on, we still have the OEM SP20 yokos on the back, but will replace them soon (52k so far). The proxes T1-R i was quoted $210 for 195/50/R16 so that price seems right, we got the c.drives for $175 (compared to $200 for the OEM yokos) and they have been outstanding, in my size they have a reinforced wall and none of the usual outer edge wear which finished off one set of ours prematurely. We will definately replace the back set with c.drives. If I had money to burn the proxes would be the go, but I would definately never use safety as the excuse, you'd buy them for track stuff and mucking around, the c.drives are already above and beyond safety limits! there comes a point where the gains are pretty small in grip and it becomes an obsession.
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #47
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

the c drives look interesting ... seem to be a tyre for all conditions, i have had a quick jump on the YOKOHAMA WEB SITE and the c drives look pretty good ... i have had a couple of mates with the A539's and had mixed responses. i would be suggesting that the AVS V102 would be against the T1-R's ... and looks like a very very nice tyre ... i guess at the end of the day it all comes down to personal prefernce ... for me, i love hte mountains, thats why i am currently starting up a two sets of wheels system, where i have my bling bling 17s for the street and 15's with probably T1-R's for the hills ... but we will see maybe these AVS V102's are the go?

I THINK I AM N2!
Old 13-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #48
woofy

teh c.drives are the replacement for the c.drives....my friend put 539's on his clio sport after have michelin pilot precedas on, and he doesn't mind them, but the c.drives are a vast improvement. There supposedly is a .drive replacement for all their range...so the V102's probably have a newer version not far away.
Old 13-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #49
mazdamanik

Car: Was an Astina now a Commohore :-(
Send a message via MSN to mazdamanik
i got c.drive on now in a 14 and they are awsome...but i still think im gunna put the T1-R on as they are only 3$ a tyre more then the C-drive and ive wanted to try the toyo's for a while....should have them on this weekend so ill let u guys know how they are...but the cdrive is deffinatly a good tyre
Old 13-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #50
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
well i know for sure the t1-s's (t1-s's predecessor) grips very well. i got a 2.15 60ft time at the drag races with them (very light car too) when they were pretty much brand new. my drag radials have only lowered the 60ft time to 2.10 seconds. mind you the toyo's now that they are used certainly wont get that sort of time again, but still that's very good!
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #51
woofy

Toyos are great tyres,,,,,its just the lifespan I can't afford...if i go with our plan of getting an MX-5 for two years then selling it...I'd put them on and burn them...
Old 02-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #52
HI-RES

Car: none
i just got fitted a set of 4 Kumho ecstas supra 712 size 205/45/16, these tyres feel fantastic, better than the goodyear eagle fs-1 that were on previously which were pretty good as well. hold on superbly around corners, overall very grippy.
Havent driven in the wet yet but I heard many reports they are good.
Time will tell on the mileage.
paid $155 per tyre

HI-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #53
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
yeah i had the model of the above the ones u got the MX(ku15) but they were like double the price but i now have the new goodyear revspec rs-02 and they are crap!

ive drivin for like 5k now and they are just gettin worse. they have a very very soft side wall with about 34psi in the u can push the side wall in so im running 38 in the front and 36 in the back with helped a tiny bit, the grip level is a fair bit less than the kumhos. the kumhos would grip then slowly start to slide these just start to slide at faily moderate speed. ive never got my car sideway but with these it is fairly easy on a dry clean road. the only reson i got the goodyears cos i got them for 250 a tyre in 215/45R17 if i had a choice i wouldnt get good year again

well theres my rant
Old 02-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #54
woofy

Just replaced the rear set with C.drives....so driving with them all around, the first 10,000kms of the front set have lasted very well, still grip great and none of that crap outer edge wear the stock ones have. In fact wear is fantastic which is what they are supposed to be. Our Mazda service guys are now fitting them as replacements for the stock SP20 yoko ones now, so it made it simple to get our latest service and tyres done at the same time for about the same price as outside.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #55
adelaidesp20

Talking New Tyres

Well after deciding to not sell the SP20 and keep it for another 2 years, I decided I needed to replace the worn out Kumho Ecsta 712's which were crap slippery all over the place.
I ended up buying Hankook Sport Ventus K104 215/40R17 87Y tyres for $199 each.
Had trouble finding a tyre of these dimensions with load rating of at least 84. In the end went for Hankooks, so will post update in 10k time to let you all know how they go.

Catch ya
17" Chrome AME rims with 215/40R17 87Y Hankook Sport Ventus K104
Chromed Fuel Filler Cap
K&N panel filter with CAI
Carbon fibre rear altezzas tail lights
98,000km and counting as at 1/2/07 (6yr anniversary)
93.2kW ATW Dyno tested.
adelaidesp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #56
mcwilly

Car: 323 astina
ive had the ecsta 711 for just under 10000kms and they are starting to get low i washappy at first but as they wore down a bit the rear end seems t drift out alot especially in the wet which is good fun but u soon get over it when u actually wanna grip. dad has the yoko a539s on his rex and they go alright. not sure wat ill get next just want something with a rounded side wall to reduce scrubbing. maybe wat rob (boost) has they seem fairly rolled
Old 15-09-2005, 06:45 AM   #57
mazdamanik

Car: Was an Astina now a Commohore :-(
Send a message via MSN to mazdamanik
TOYO.....from wat ive seen of mine so far they are better than anything ive had before....and goldsp just got Proxes 4's which are one under the T1-R's i hae and has seen the light i believe at the moment toyos are the best....and the wall on the T1-R's are fairly round
Old 15-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #58
SehnKhan

Car: .
I've got the Hankook Sport Ventus K104 aswell, and so far so good (not many KM's on them yet, but they grip very nicely, especially in the wet, and little road noise to talk about).
SehnKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #59
arden

Car: Suby
so did anyone managed to find a dealer in syd who sells these maxxis ma-z1 tyres?
Old 24-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #60
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I think Fro-Daddy has those, PM him and ask for his impressions of them.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote