Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 14-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
RibZe

Car: BG Astina
Post Did my splits today. (BG Hatch)

It took 6 hours with my mate helping.

It always seems problems happen when i'm doing something to my car. I'll get to that.

I've got 6" Jaycar Precision Response splits.

The tweeters are angle mounted near the armrest but away from the window winder. This way only two drill holes had to be made instead of a 25mm hole so they could sit flush with the door panel.
The crossovers are under my dash tied down with a zip tie. It's the spot that looks like a 4" speaker could be placed there.
The mid-range is where the stock speaker was...derr.

The crossover spot is so secluded and perfect. The tweeters are partially hidden and away from harm, although a pro could've down a much better job.

The problem is that the magnet of the mid range goes back too far, in fact it doesn't look that deep at all. I bought this splits in January last year so i couldn't exactly return them. As a result i can't wind my front windows down all the way. It's basically at the same level as the back door windows sit.
The other problem was that the screw holes didn't line up with the speaker, my mate asked whether it was meant to be a 6.5". After doing some searching on here, it is 6"s. So instead of 4 solid screws the speakers are mounted with 2 and 3 screws respectively. 1 screw in each had to be drilled into the metal of the door.

I'm thinking that if it becomes annoying (i like my arm sitting on the window) i could maybe screw the mid-range into the door speaker panel but that means i would have to put the grill over it. The result would be my mid-range's protruding from the door, supceptable to damage form myself and passengers and not to mention ugly.

Sorry to ramble on. I suppose it's a mixture of tips and warnings for those thinking of installing splits in their BG.

Ribze.

P.s my car's much cleaner now lol.

Last edited by RibZe; 01-03-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Photos Again
RibZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 15-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
I put my 6.5 speakers onto the actual doorcard....good and bad points to doing this though, making spacers or buying some from Autobarn would help your situation

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Doogal

Car: '93 BG 323 astina
Send a message via MSN to Doogal
On the Doorcard? what do you mean? you cut a hole straight through your card?

And yea make some spacers...I did with my MTX Thunders as they were about half inch too deep and it works fine. Only problem i have is when i turn sub down u can hear the big bass hits rubbing against the door card.
Doogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
lovemyBG

Send a message via MSN to lovemyBG
I'm going to have the same problem when I get my splits.
All I can think to do is, like others have said, and go and get some spacers... they're only around $30 from autobarn and they have a ready made spot for the tweeters..
Only problem with this is that it is quite possible that you might get your speakers kicked in. My boyfriend has spacers in his vn commodore on the doorcard and as a result of careless passengers, his speakers have been kicked in.. the grills now touch the speakers.. luckily they're only cheap speakers..
Good luck with it. And if anyone has a better idea I'm also really interested to hear it.
lovemyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogal View Post
On the Doorcard? what do you mean? you cut a hole straight through your card?

And yea make some spacers...I did with my MTX Thunders as they were about half inch too deep and it works fine. Only problem i have is when i turn sub down u can hear the big bass hits rubbing against the door card.
Yep, the doorcards, no rattle or anything, just put the covers on to protect from those dopey passengers...my speakers were Pioneer DTS splits...quite deep...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
RibZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappy65 View Post
I put my 6.5 speakers onto the actual doorcard....good and bad points to doing this though, making spacers or buying some from Autobarn would help your situation
Yeah i was thinking of making my own.
Old 16-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Doogal

Car: '93 BG 323 astina
Send a message via MSN to Doogal
I was thinking about the door card but im afraid ill cut the whole to big and Ugh....

Maybe ill buy myself a dremel tool and give it a go
Doogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
so fresh

Car: 92 astina 323 bg & 01 SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibZe View Post
It took 6 hours with my mate helping.

It always seems problems happen when i'm doing something to my car. I'll get to that.

I've got 6" Jaycar Precision Response splits.

The tweeters are angle mounted near the armrest but away from the window winder. This way only two drill holes had to be made instead of a 25mm hole so they could sit flush with the door panel.
The crossovers are under my dash tied down with a zip tie. It's the spot that looks like a 4" speaker could be placed there.
The mid-range is where the stock speaker was...derr.

The crossover spot is so secluded and perfect. The tweeters are partially hidden and away from harm, although a pro could've down a much better job.

The problem is that the magnet of the mid range goes back too far, in fact it doesn't look that deep at all. I bought this splits in January last year so i couldn't exactly return them. As a result i can't wind my front windows down all the way. It's basically at the same level as the back door windows sit.
The other problem was that the screw holes didn't line up with the speaker, my mate asked whether it was meant to be a 6.5". After doing some searching on here, it is 6"s. So instead of 4 solid screws the speakers are mounted with 2 and 3 screws respectively. 1 screw in each had to be drilled into the metal of the door.

I'm thinking that if it becomes annoying (i like my arm sitting on the window) i could maybe screw the mid-range into the door speaker panel but that means i would have to put the grill over it. The result would be my mid-range's protruding from the door, supceptable to damage form myself and passengers and not to mention ugly.

Sorry to ramble on. I suppose it's a mixture of tips and warnings for those thinking of installing splits in their BG.

Ribze.
- The tweeters
- Where the X-overs are
- How my window must sit
- 4c amp
lol i got the same amp but its a 800w mono block.
i've seen them around but what do they throw out(power)
Old 05-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
bugger, just bought these same speakers for my BG. i guess i'll need some spacers. i don't fully understand how my door cards will fit though. i assume you mount the speakers to the spacers and then into to the door [or reverse order :P]. and then do i put the door cards back on over the top with a bit of a bulge?
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
so fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
bugger, just bought these same speakers for my BG. i guess i'll need some spacers. i don't fully understand how my door cards will fit though. i assume you mount the speakers to the spacers and then into to the door [or reverse order :P]. and then do i put the door cards back on over the top with a bit of a bulge?
if their the same as the stock put it behind the door card but...
if u wanna show'em off cut a hole out of the grill for the speakers to
go through screw the spacers on(over the hole u made)
then put ur speakers in .
I'll be doin that soon as soon as i get some sticky vinyl (red) to replace the fabric above the door handle just so i can do it all in 1 hit
Old 17-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
i ended up putting 3-ways in. thanks though.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
michael0008
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1989 Astina GLX
Send a message via MSN to michael0008
I have 6.5" Component Speaker in the front ,it hits the door card too lol to scared to cut another hole

lol my speakers were a mission ,i put them in and thought i was finished and put everything away and then i put the window down i got a thump s**t..

the magnets came out too far and was hitting the window when i put it down .It was not a nice sound hearing your new speakers scraping on the window and you can't stop it till it goes all the way down lol electric windows.A couple of washes fix it between the door and speaker

crazy ant

Last edited by michael0008; 21-08-2009 at 05:42 PM.
michael0008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
SineWave

Car: White '93 BG Auto Hatch
With splits/components, you want to have the tweeter as close to ear-level as possible, so either above the window winder arm or on the pillar. You then have to adjust the tweeter attenuation on the crossover (in the Response case here, connecting to either the 0dB, -3dB or -6dB points IIRC)
- Adam
SineWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
my speakers in my bg are too deep to sit behind the door card so i had to cut a hole in the card...however silly me didnt think to see if i had room between the hole and the window crank.... so my speakers have no grilles to let the crank pass over them and a little bit of damage from the crank scratching.
luckily i will be fiberglassing some new cards and getting an electric window kit from autoloc so everything will look sweet.

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #15
RibZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by so fresh View Post
lol i got the same amp but its a 800w mono block.
i've seen them around but what do they throw out(power)
Sorry for the late reply. It's 600w max with 4x60rms each channel. Which suits my rear 6"s and my front splits perfectly.

Since making this thread...

I couldn't be happier with my splits, go real loud and hit the high notes as they should. I haven't address the space issue. I've gotten used to knowing exactly where to wind my windows to so they don't hit the magnets. I don't often have mates in the car and if i do i make sure they don't roll the window down hard enough to damage the magnet. I might add that these splits have a rubber boot on the magnet, lucky bonus for my situation.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #16
RibZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SineWave View Post
With splits/components, you want to have the tweeter as close to ear-level as possible, so either above the window winder arm or on the pillar. You then have to adjust the tweeter attenuation on the crossover (in the Response case here, connecting to either the 0dB, -3dB or -6dB points IIRC)
- Adam
My mate and i thought about putting them in the b-pillar just behind the ears but decided not to bother. They are angled mounted so the tweeters are pointing to my head and the passenger's head as best as possible.

What difference does the different crossover settings make?

I've got mine on -3db.

Last edited by RibZe; 04-09-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 AM   #17
SineWave

Car: White '93 BG Auto Hatch
0dB is a 50/50 split between the woofer and the tweeter.
-3dB is 70% power drop, so 35% to tweeter and 65% to woofer.
-6dB is 50% power drop, so 25% to tweeter and 75% to woofer.
Try each setting with various styles of music to see which one suits their current position best.
If you're going to mount it on a pillar, I'd suggest the front one (A-pillar?), i.e. vertically straight above the woofer.
- Adam
SineWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 03:13 AM   #18
so fresh

ok did my splits before the door card was touching it a lil but it was rattleing / vibrating against the door card for some reason,i didnt even
put any pressure let alone touch it so...
used a dremel n made a hole in the door card just the right size for the
speaker cover to come frew, looks good imo
Old 27-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
Pics :P
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #20
so fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussing View Post
Pics :P
LOL OK...

still need to clean it up a bit,but its ok.