Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 06-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Gp.

Car: Red Mazda 323 Astina 1991
Help with new sound system - Clipping issue?

Hi all,
This is my first audio install so bare with me.

As a prerequisite, the issue I'm encountering appears to be clipping. When I play a track with lots of heavy bass or noise at a higher volume, the amp cuts in and out until I back it off. The manual says this is normal if gain isn't set correctly. Let me explain my set up first to make sure I have the wiring correct.

My Kit includes:
* Pioneer Champion Series Sub 1400W 2ohm
* Kenwood KFC-M1642A 280W 4ohm front speakers
* Pioneer TS-A6964S 400W 4ohm 6x9 rear speakers
* Pioneer DEH-3450UB Head Unit
* Pioneer GM-6500F Amplifier 760W

The two 6x9's are wired to the amp, channel 1 for left, channel 2 for right. The Sub is then bridged on the other channels. The head unit has two sets of RCA outputs. Front Speaker & Rear Speaker/Subwoofer.

My front Kenwood speakers are wired to the head unit (the plug with all the different coloured wires including power etc for head unit). That was done by Autobarn.

I've got the RCAs then running to the amp. Obviously the rear speakers/sub from the head unit go to the sub channel input on the amp. My concern/uncertainty is if it's correct to connect the front speaker RCAs from the head unit to the amp for use with the 6x9s. Does it matter it's labeled as "front speaker RCA out" even though I'm using that output with the rear speakers? I was told I can leave the front Kenwoods wired to the head unit and RCA the rear speakers this way.

I've attached a diagram of how everything is wired. I've excluded the fuse in the diagram for the power wire but rest assured there is a fuse installed as part of the kit and this is not a fuse blowing related issue.

If anyone could give me a hand, here's what I want to understand.
1. Why is my Amp cutting in and out at bass intensive tracks or higher volumes? Is this clipping/incorrect gain? How can I push it to the level I want without it cutting out?
2. Is my wiring correct for my system? (Using "Front Speaker RCA for rear speakers etc)

If it is incorrect gain, I have tried adjusting the system in many different ways by toning down the sub on the head unit, playing with the gain on the amp, adjusting the low pass filter etc. I can't seem to get the kick from the bass I want with high volume from the speakers. Is this amp just not gonna cut it, or what is the correct way to get the gain right for both the sub and the 6x9's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty new to the amp/sub thing.

Gp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
HDouble check all the the speaker wires are positive to positive and and negatives areto negitive, sounds sill i know but i had the same problem, and that was my problem,

Check by un connecting one speaker at a time and then play your music to the volume that it will clip at, and that will tell you which circuit is causeing it to clip,

Last edited by HAIGHIE; 06-10-2012 at 09:29 PM.
HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Maybe your voltage drops too low and its cutting from that? Maybe get a multimeter and see what the voltage is on the amp terminals during a heavy song?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
rogerstrampoline
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1993 BG Astina SP
Have you got power and rcas on opposite sides of the car?
rogerstrampoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
Have you added an extra earth cable from chassis to the earth terminal on the battery?
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
Gp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
Maybe your voltage drops too low and its cutting from that? Maybe get a multimeter and see what the voltage is on the amp terminals during a heavy song?
Doubt a power issue as it cuts in and out just seconds apart and the minute I tone it down just slightly it's fine. There appears to be no affect on the headlights or dash instrument lighting so power seems healthy to the amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerstrampoline View Post
Have you got power and rcas on opposite sides of the car?
Yes. Both audio RCAs are on the left side, power is on the right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildough View Post
Have you added an extra earth cable from chassis to the earth terminal on the battery?
No, but I don't believe this to be a grounding issue. I've already looked at that area thoughroughly and someone told me grounding issues will give you a "buzzing" rather than a clean cut out like I'm getting.

Keep in mind the behaviour I mentioned is IN the manual for the Amp, and relates to gain. What's the correct way to push out what I want and set the gain correctly? I'm wondering if I'll need a seperate sub Amp...jeez.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
shouldn't the amp have gain adjustment
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Gp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaley323 View Post
shouldn't the amp have gain adjustment
It does, my question is really if anyone has tips to correctly set it. It would seem that maybe too much gain is going through from the head unit and then that gain is amplified. I need to get it set at an optimal level to handle any load, but I'm not really sure how.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
to set gain the ideal way to do it is set the gain to 0 turn your music to it's/your maximum desired volume, then slowly turn your gain up untill you here the speakers start to distort, then tapper it of a bit untill theres no more destortion and maybe just a little bit more just to be safe with your speakers/sub

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Spykey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda 323 SP20 TURBO
Like Phil said, you might need extra Gounding from chasis to -ve terminal of battery.

What size of cables are you running?

Any idea on the AMP RMS output power at what Ohm?

What RMS power is your sub? speakers? and resistance?

ENGINE: Custom made T3/T4 Hybrid turbo (From US) | 38mm External Wastegate | Custom made Stainless Steel Manifold | Front Mount Intercooler | Aluminium Intercooler Piping | Blow Off Valve | Turbo Timer | Custom made 3" Mandrel Bent Turbo-back Exhaust | K&N Washable Pod Filter | Edelbrock 17939 Fuel Pump (255 liter/hr. (67 gph), 60+ psi for Turbo, Supercharger or Nitrous) | Hardrace harden rubber engine mount kit
Spykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Also. From pro audio days, you want to avoid any gain maxxed out. Ideally you would have the amp an hu with a middle of the road setting.
Old 13-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Gp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykey View Post
Like Phil said, you might need extra Gounding from chasis to -ve terminal of battery.

What size of cables are you running?

Any idea on the AMP RMS output power at what Ohm?

What RMS power is your sub? speakers? and resistance?
Cable is 8AWG I believe. It was part of a wiring kit.
The Sub says 2ohm on the box near the terminals but I can't actually find my sub on the pioneer site. RMS would be something like 1,400 W (400 W)

The specs for my amp are here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eries/GM-6500F

As mentioned in my first post:
My Kit includes:
* Pioneer Champion Series Sub 1400W 2ohm
* Kenwood KFC-M1642A 280W 4ohm front speakers
* Pioneer TS-A6964S 400W 4ohm 6x9 rear speakers
* Pioneer DEH-3450UB Head Unit
* Pioneer GM-6500F Amplifier 760W
Old 17-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Spykey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda 323 SP20 TURBO
Well the speakers that you are using can handle only 40Watts RMS.

On the Amp website, it says that this particular amp got protection to protect your speakers and amp.
You amp can provide up to 60W Rms.
May be because you speaker can handle only 40W RMS, if you increase the gain of the amp, it will clip anything above 40W RMS.

Try only 50% gain on your amp and see if you still having issues?

ENGINE: Custom made T3/T4 Hybrid turbo (From US) | 38mm External Wastegate | Custom made Stainless Steel Manifold | Front Mount Intercooler | Aluminium Intercooler Piping | Blow Off Valve | Turbo Timer | Custom made 3" Mandrel Bent Turbo-back Exhaust | K&N Washable Pod Filter | Edelbrock 17939 Fuel Pump (255 liter/hr. (67 gph), 60+ psi for Turbo, Supercharger or Nitrous) | Hardrace harden rubber engine mount kit
Spykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
BrownDog

Car: 1997 BA "The Red Baron"
could still be a ground issue, when i was moving my amps to behind my back seat on my small amp that powers the back speakers the ground wire got crushed by a bracket then torn off. the amp still worked , however the speakers clipped with the beat no matter the volume and if i turned it up it just simply shut off
BrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Gp.

Issue seems to be that the sub is 2ohm and the amps max output is 4ohm. See this topic: http://astinagt.com/forums/showthrea...527#post312527