Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 30-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #21
TStar

Car: 323F
Send a message via ICQ to TStar
Smile

yes i did.. but it's not what i'm looking for.

i really do appreciate the suggestions you people make, but there's a reason why i'm putting so much attention to this whole issue, being so anal about any detail:

this time i want to feel 100% right when doing the install. i don't want to make concessions i don't feel comfortable with, like losing valuable passenger or loading space (even if recoverable by minor temporary retrofitting), safety issues (no proper fixation or danger of theft) or losing sound quality by building a bad quality enclosure, bad positioning etc..

let me give you an example:
Quote:
- building a wide but flat box mounted to the rear seats:
would work for most everyday application like transporting food/beverages etc. as soon as i want to transport something bigger (right now a set of 4 wheels perfectly fits into the trunk, if i installed this box they wouldn't fit anymore,i would have to lay down both seats (my seats are divided 60/40). as soon as i do that, i got the bassbox plus the cargo facing my back without anything i consider proper enough to provide safety during dangerous situations where those items could accellerate (e.g. hard braking or even a crash at the front)...

i COULD compensate this by giving the subwoofer box a real stiff connection to the seats (which would include drilling holes/putting threads into the rear of the seats,connecting it with the box) and i could use belts to fixate the cargo on the side hooks in the trunk
=> i'd have to damage a car part (drilling holes) plus i'd have additional work for heavy cargo like wheels (now having to fixate them with belts, although i could've easily put them into the trunk without the bass box beeing installed)
=> that's why i consider this option as not good.
i do not expect -full solutions- from any of you, but ideas/feedback. i have looked at almost any spot in the car, thinking of everything i can imagine which could make it possible/impossible/hindering/unfavourable to put my sub there and you already provided good thoughts on that.

i do believe that there is some "optimum" location for the install. it just takes time to find it.

TStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #22
LordWorm

Car: .
if you mount it behind the 60/40 split seats, you could quite easilly fix it without saftey concerns (seems you are worried about it flying around or something)... strap it in nice and tight...restrain it to the child seat restraints... build a false floor and screw it into the false floor (saves you damaging your car)...lots of ways =)
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #23
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Something that might help is knowing what volume box you want... and then go from there. I know my 120lt box leaves bugger all room in my hatch, and it is as wide as it can be and as high as the original parcel tray.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #24
mazdamanik

Car: Was an Astina now a Commohore :-(
Send a message via MSN to mazdamanik
how high is the sub ur looking at and how big are the people who get in the back....just a left field option build a false floor level with that little hump behind center console and put them in there on the floor of the passangers seats....if one sub u could do it one side only and people could fit in middle and other side passanger seat...not teh brightest idea but only thing i can think of that hasnt been suggested
Old 04-05-2006, 02:18 AM   #25
TStar

next step:
today i cleaned the acrylic mess completely and there were many scratches in the mold, some of them too deep for my taste.. so i decided to zinc my spare tire mold to protect the metal from rust...

before:

after:

Old 04-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #26
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Nice work! And since its bare take the time for sound deadening the rear! you'll notice a huge difference in road roise from the rear of the car.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 AM   #27
TStar

step3

Old 06-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #28
BJ BoI

Car: -
let us know how much differance the sound deadening makes. cheers
BJ BoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:46 AM   #29
TStar

step4

Last edited by TStar; 10-05-2006 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #30
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
How about in the footwell of the front passenger, that space is huge, seal off half of it and there you go. Big sub enclosure.

A stupid idea, but you said you wanted as many suggestions as possible. Should work a treat so long as u only cary short legged passengers.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #31
TStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinncinatus
Should work a treat so long as u only cary short legged passengers.
lol,i inspected the foot well closely and came to the conclusion that there's simply not enough space for a sub plus a normal human beeing with legs...at least if he wants to sit in the car for 2h+ or so...

i made my decision already: the subbox will be in the right side molding, i'll start the work by tomorrow...

for the deadening..can't really tell how much it improved...i guess i can judge it when everything is back in place. what i did recognise is that there are metal parts in the trunk which are really stiff and there are locations that go "clooooooooooonkkkk" if you knock on them (try the bottom of the spare tire mold and the location right above the muffler.. sound deadening in the trunk makes sense for sure.

Last edited by TStar; 09-05-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:55 AM   #32
TStar

step5 - the fibre works

what would you say ? at what position (vertically/horizontally) should the woofer actually reside?
take the pic and use a paint software on it.. maybe you got a nice idea.. i'll start the work tomorror so you got a chance to influence me ^^

Old 17-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #33
TStar

well, 3 pics taken before i got problems with my health...

the fabric taken for the subbox is this one in black colour:

btw: the box itself weighs 9.5kgs ^^

the false floor will also be covered with the same fabric...