Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 20-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Doctor Shifty

Car: V6 Hardtop & Outback
Clutch replacement cost?

Our son has my wife's 97 V6 manual Hardtop at the moment. He had a problem with the clutch suddenly not working a few days ago, so had it towed to his local mechanic. He lives 4 or 5 hours drive away from us so we can't get the car to our own mechanic.

His mechanic said the master cylinder is leaking and the clutch is gone. The car has 200,000 kms on it and he's not surprised it's gone.

His price for clutch replacement with new master and slave cylinders is $1200 to $1300. When I check replacement prices on this forum I come up with $600 to $800. He says the price is high because it's not really a Mazda it's a Eunos.

I'm waiting for a conversation with the mechanic and a breakdown of parts/prices etc but thought I'd chase up other people's experience. What do you reckon about his price, considering I'm so far away from the car?

Thanks
Doctor Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 20-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
eunos my arse.

V6s are a pain in the arse to work on, and for that reason expect a slightly higher estimate than compared to what you see floating around for I4 quotes.

I'm not familiar with the V6 setup, but I'm sure some of the engine ie intake manifold and back engine head cover needs to be removed to access the master cylinder. Which could be the reason for the estimate.

Most people quote $600-$800 for a clutch only replacement. No you are adding master and slave cylinder, and maybe some extra in moving in the way engine parts.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
It's a pretty common sized clutch. If money is tight just replace the slave or master whatever one is leaking and then get a few quotes.
Old 20-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
yeah V6 -FWD especially in a car designed for a 4 cylinder add the $200 labour extra.

He has said it's a Eunos because for most mechanics see it as Eunos 500. Which is what it was based on.
But it's just because like most they don't want to go and explain the break down.

Your mechanic if they have done a lot and experienced with it. Would drop $100-200 on the price he quoted.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote