Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 04-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #61
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative Supa Dupa Wise Stereo Man
blah blah blah, that's a supa dupa big post...
Uh I see now, I have be enlightened. Anime cat are awesome.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #62
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative

seeing as my Cortina will be a street driven track car, 2 subs will be too hard to remove from the small boot all the time, so one sub it will be for me. (Sorry Greg ) I'll just have to listen to my brothers 2 sub system when I need to feel my music.

sif you wont go back to 2 :P

haha

thanks for your posts dude...you can go back to watching appleseed or whatever other strange thing you are into at the moment...

edit: Ryan, any grown man with 4 bookcases full of anime movies that half the general anime loving population hasnt even heard of needs no encouragement. The poor guy needs help.hahaha

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com

Last edited by LordWorm; 04-07-2006 at 05:43 PM.
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #63
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
appleseed, evan, initial d or whatever, it's cool but sometimes very weird. i'd know what they are. sorry greg.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #64
TERRA Operative

Car: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
sif you wont go back to 2 :P

haha

thanks for your posts dude...you can go back to watching appleseed or whatever other strange thing you are into at the moment...

edit: Ryan, any grown man with 4 bookcases full of anime movies that half the general anime loving population hasnt even heard of needs no encouragement. The poor guy needs help.hahaha
Hey, I only have around 250 DVD's of the stuff. I'm not obsessed, I can stop anytime I like!

Twitch twitch..
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #65
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
so jared - you're saying you'd rather have 1 x $1000 sub than 2 x $500 subs??? depending on music tastes? remembering 1 sub would come with a (say) 1 x 1000wrms mono and the 2 subs would come with 2 x 500wrms monos...
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #66
TERRA Operative

Well for my application (small bootspace, easy to remove, lower weight etc.) a single is better.
However, if I had a car that was larger that wasn't being used for track etc. I would go for the 2 subs, induvidually amped all the way.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #67
twilightprotege

omg greg!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #68
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
omg greg!
Yes but my boot has ample space for 2, and the rig will be easy to remove
Power is identical

Thats it
i'm buying twins

Old 04-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #69
TERRA Operative

Well done, my young padwan.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #70
twilightprotege

one last thing. jared, i have a mission for you (should you choose to accept it).

using rrp only, find the absolute best (in your opinion) 12" sq sub for $1000. then find the absolute best mono amp for $1000 to suit the sub. next, find the absolute best (again in your opinion) sq 12" sub for $500, then again, the best mono amp for $500 to suit.

next part of the equation. assuming you get 2 of the $500 subs and 2 of the $500 amps, which would you prefer for sq purposes only (using a sealed box only)... the 2 x subs or the 1 x sub?

also, please tell us the sub and amps you'd pick as well.

and no technical gibberish! just pure "$1000 sub = abc brand. $1000 amp = not alpine" for example

ps greg - i doubt your boot has that much more room than a cortina
Old 04-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #71
LordWorm

yeh well... really.. if the answer to the question is "i'm only going for 1 sub because my car is a street driven race car" then my answer is "i'm going for 2 because mines an occasionally race driven street car".

if i was building a dedicated track car, i'd have absolutely no creature comforts, and maybe a dodgey old FM radio headdeck with built in tiny speaker, just in case i got bored waiting between races.

99% of the cars driving duties are on the street.... rather go for higher quality and have to take an extra 15mins pulling the enclosure out when i take it to willowbank than to compromise for the sake of saving myself said 15mins once every couple of months when i get it out to the track.

=)

Trying to see if mandy will come at 2x Type R 12s with the PDX monoblocks or simillar :P wish me luck..har har!

edit: and andrew why the extra mission? he's going to pick fusion for both because he's a fusion fan boy :P and, the "technical jibberish" is exactly the reason why its the way to go.

By the by, the $1000 budget, was never imposed by me. The budget for my subs at the MOMENT (pending twisting mandy's arm) is about $600 for subs. In the alpine range (for example, and i'm sure most other brands would have simillar price pointed options), i can get 2 type S, or 1 Type R.... given the overall simillarities in teh two, a far more PRUDENT exersize would be "pick any old brand, pick their second from the bottom range sub, and the next sub up in the range, which would you go for, 1 or 2".

And, i personally couldnt give a sh!t about your amp argument, i'm over listening to it. You can be right if you like, it wont change, in the slightest, my decision to purcahse a completely whole brand system. End of debate.

and edit again: STILL this thread goes on with crap i dont care about.I got jared to post what he posted because of a completely ill informed "1 is always better than 2, less is more" argument, that wasnt started by me, has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, and i'll get whatever the hell i chose to get configuration wise.

And further, if your "And amp is an amp is an amp" argument is true, so fcking what if i get alpine? if, according to your "get whatever amp you can get for your money" the matched brand sub comes in at the same price point as a simillar amp with the same power output......would it not matter in the slightest whether i get the matched alpine amps, or the JL heap of crap you keep ramming down my throat?

done.

Last edited by LordWorm; 04-07-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #72
twilightprotege

ok jared - assume 100% street driven car.

yeah good luck on the budget! remeber itb's and exhausts will always sound better than any sound system
Old 04-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #73
TERRA Operative

I'll see what I can do.
Ah damn, these glasses just exploded......

Gregs boot is a lot deeper, if only a little wider. The Cortina doesn't have the largest parcel shelf. If there is enough room sideways, the depth shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #74
twilightprotege

add - i say $1000 to make it a round figure. and he can pick same brand amps if he wants. if you want him to pick a $600 single or 2 x $300 subs then he can do that...

i am and will always be of the opinion that more speakers doesnt equal a better speaker

i'm half asking to see what jared thinks is best and the other half reason is for my own benefit. you've already made up your mind so even if jared says greg is 100% wrong you probably wont change it so jared's answers wont have any effect
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #75
LordWorm

Quote:

yeah good luck on the budget! remeber itb's and exhausts will always sound better than any sound system
thats what the "off" button on the stere is for

oh and, a little extra SPL wont hurt to drown it out and keep mandy happy ...

"Greg, whats that sound like a leaf blower coming from the engine bay?"
*turns the volume knob a little to the right.*
"What? what leaf blower? I can't hear a thing."

--
and, as i've said before, i'm not above being wrong. If jared turned around last night and completely panned the 2 sub idea, then i would have 2 friends (one with pretty expert audio knowledge, the other with a decent sound system that holds its own for what it is), and someone else with more knowledge than I (chipa) telling me the same thing.

However as it stands, with the info provided, and the links you found last night, and what i've read and seen, i've seen no compelling evidence to suggest I am on the wrong path with this. It seems the argument between the "2 cheap or 1 expensive" argument is "if you can afford 1 expensive, save like crazy to buy 2 expensive, or find some not-so-expensive woofers that look after themselves pretty well, do a decent job, and not look back".

Didn't mean to ark up so much...but it seemed to be degrading into finding info for the sake of being "right", even if it meant shifting the parameters of the argument around to make the other one fit.

Last edited by LordWorm; 04-07-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #76
TERRA Operative

Quote:

The beat of a turbo 6 is better than any stereo.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #77
LordWorm

Quote:
The beat of a turbo 6 is better than any stereo.
coming from the guy who until a turbo 6 conversion was considering a 7L V8 dinosour crate motor and a full tube front end (though, even the most decerning DOHC 4 banger fan would have thought that was impressive in a clapped out old cortina...*chuckle*)

Old 04-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #78
TERRA Operative

Problem is, it's impossible to get a roadworthy on a tube frame....

Now hurry up and get your twin subs!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #79
LordWorm

Quote:

Problem is, it's impossible to get a roadworthy on a tube frame....

Now hurry up and get your twin subs!
tax return and sale of cold air intakes

Old 08-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #80
LordWorm

Okidoke...heres the idea:

Going with the alpine speakers...

Going to splurge on the Alpine Type X 6.5in componants for the front, which will be installed in 5L ported door pods (response down to 55hz), and 6.5in coax in the back with 5L ported pods. Amped by a 4/3/2 amp (probably PDX, built in EQ etc to iron out the curve a bit on the doorpods...to get flat response the doorpods need to be like 15L which is space i just cant afford in the doors).

That'll be the first upgrade as type x componants and coax will blow the budget for the complete system appart... but I'm figuring that given that the midrange is right in the middle of what you listen to, why skimp on quality?

The next bit of the upgrade will be the proabably twin type S subs as the enclosure size is nearly identical for the type X (upgradability). If i go this way i'll amp them with the matched V series amps - and then when I upgrade i'll amp the TYpe X woofers with 1 monoblock per voicecoil - this will end up being the most expensive way to go long term, but should provide the most flexibility.

Just providing this info because some people seem interested in what i plan to get. Thats the plan, and i'm sticking it......

=)