Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 24-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
xxplosiv

Send a message via MSN to xxplosiv
Post How do I install a noise suppressor?

Recently I've bought some 6x9 speakers to be used with my 4 channel amp (2 of the channels are bridged and go to the sub) but when I hook up the 6x9s and turn on the engine I hear a high pitched squeeling noise that goes in time to the engines revs. I told the folks at Repco and they gave me a noise suppressor, which is basiccally some kind of capacitor with a metal body and a lug coming off it, then a short wire coming out the middle of it with a fork lug on the end. How do I install this?

I'm an electrical apprentice and I asked one of the electricians at work and he said to screw the capacitor part to the chassis of the car, and join the wire that comes out with the positive wire that goes into the alternator. A few things, how do I know which wire to join it with (its pretty cramped in there) and is this even the right way? I really need some clarity on this so I can start enjoying my stereo! Any help would be greatly appreciated
xxplosiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Doesn't that noise mean that something hasn't been grounded properly? Go back to the headunit and ensure that everything is grounded and if you're sure, add another grounding point to be doubly sure..

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Can be bad grounding, running the cables in a bad fashion (low voltage rca's near power is a big one). And then it could even be induced all the way from the head unit.

The way you were told to install is one way to install it. Quite often they are also installed at the coil. I've had the best results installing one at each location.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
make sure the amp is grounded to the chassis - It needs to be a really good connection here - make sure u sand off the paint where the ground wire connects to the chassis.

and dont run power wires and rca audio wires next to each other - keep them apart and run them down different areas of the car
Old 25-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
FLiP

Car: 2005 Polo GTi
Send a message via MSN to FLiP
If you don't want to sand any paint off then take your centre console section out and earth it under one of the bolts that hold the handbrake system to the chassis. There's no paint there. There are probably other places without paint, but that's easy to get to.
FLiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
chipa
Crazy Member

The problem there is that you can end up with a much longer earth run. This will mean an even larger drop in voltage supply to the amp. Voltage drop is BAD!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
xxplosiv

Send a message via MSN to xxplosiv
I'm pretty sure everything is grounded correctly, and the power and RCA cables are sepaerate, I'll have another look tonight. If those steps have been taken, how do I go about installing this noise suppressor? How do I know which wire to break into on the alternator, etc?
xxplosiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
chipa
Crazy Member

I would recommend installing the one you have at the coil first. The main body lug mounts onto the body (make sure it has a good clean connection), the wire connects to the positive point on the coil.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #9
TStar

Car: 323F
Send a message via ICQ to TStar
can you truely recommend installing a noise supressor to a fellow forum member :ß ? i couldn't ...

TStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
chipa
Crazy Member

Yes I can. I would never recommend an in-line supressor but something that reduces noise from power sources I will recommend every day. Especially as you will find that almost all cars have some form of power line noise reducation. The type that xxplosiv is describing used to be installed in many makes and models from factory.