Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 27-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
Blade_shinigami

Car: mazda 323 astina hardtop
White box in Engine

i was just wondering if there was any use for the white plastic box on the bottom left corner of the engine bay, its just bhind the front bumper
Blade_shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 28-09-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
that is part of the air intake system. its a resinator/store to keep airflow even before being pulled thru the fitler/airbox.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Blade_shinigami

ok kool thnx, so in other words its a useless piece of equipment thats can b taken off
Old 28-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
People usually remove it and put their own piping from the airbox down to the front foglight zone. Look up CAI (cold air induction feed).

My friend was telling me when i was removing mine, "i wonder how many dollars of Mazda R&D you've spent ripipng this out"
Old 28-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Blade_shinigami

ahahah lol. swt thnx, now i kno wat can go coz dats wat i was planning on doing.
Old 28-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
if you take it out and run a big fat air tube to the front bar you also get a wicked induction sound. if you don't have air-con you can remove it through the passenger wheel arch. it has 2 screws, 1 at the top and one at the front. if you do have air-con you'll have to remove your front bar.

it doesn't take long too. it took me about 3.5 hours to pull off the front bar, pull out resonator, put in CAI and test fit the JDM bar and put it back on. that also includes a trip to bunnings and time to make up some custom brackets. so say 40 min to remove and another 40 to fit.

if you need to remove it you'll have to:

1. take out your headlights.
2. unplug your indicators
3. unplug any fog/spot lights
4. undo the big nuts under there
5. pop the clips off the outside of your wheel arches
6. undo the screw in there
7. undo the screw behind where the parker was on each side
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Blade_shinigami

O_o, u make it sound so complicated, o well since i'm working at bunnings 2nite i can go grab all da stuff i need, wats a decent size pipe i'd b looking at?
Old 28-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
DavoAust

its not complicated really, it just takes time to put it all back together. it probably only took 30min, i can't remember how long.

hmm, i picked up some intake piping from supercheap. probably 4" wide inside. they also had a adapter that fit both the piping and airbox perfectly (esp once you silicon it airtight). you'll need the better part of a meter, it needs to be flexible too. if you want to put a bracket in to hold it the easiest way i found was to grab some of that make-your-own-bracket stuff from bunnings (looks like mechano) and bend/cut it to shape
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 28-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Blade_shinigami

kool, so 90mm pipe and adapters to fit on the car should do the job, i'll hve to look in my department 2nite then, do u kno which department they kept the make-ur-own-brackets?
Old 28-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
this is what I did and most of the stuff I bought from bunnings except for the 80mm silicone tube (autobarn) !!

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showt...&highlight=cai

asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #11
Blade_shinigami

i have urs up rite now, but i gotta slightly adjust mine wit urs, coz i've got the airbox siliconed to a 50mm to 45mm reducer, and now i'm gonna hve to get a multi reducer to put into the pipe so its not as easy as teh way u did it
Old 28-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
DavoAust

dunno what department the bracket things were in. but they were with the hinges and latches if that helps. they are a strip of galvanized metal with notches and pre drilled holes. you can bend them in a vice and cut them with a hack saw. its perfect for making a bracket to attach to the bolt from the resonator.

the piping i got from supercheap was $30 so expensive but its that expandable stuff so you can route if around corners and it'll hold its shape. its like asangag's red one but you don't need the pvc corners to hold it there, it'll do it itself (has metal ribbing). if you're gonna spend more than $40 on the piping just got to super cheap and get the stuff. you just need the pipe and the reducer

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 28-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
Blade_shinigami

ah, dat'd b builders hardware. well i jsut bought a pvc mount to screw onto where the fog lights r meant to go, since i'm driving a BA hartop. i just need to buy the reducer and the pipe. i'll hve to do that nxt week.

Would flywire b good enuff for the mesh or would i hve to look at sumthing else?
Old 28-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mondeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_shinigami View Post
Would flywire b good enuff for the mesh or would i hve to look at sumthing else?

should be enough.

assuming this piping is all done on the outside end of the airbox, all you need to do is keep big stuff like leaves and crap out. the air filter will get the smaller stuff.

71.3kw@5341rpm - 394.4nm@3968rpm - Protek Dyno.
2000 Mazda MX5
hks_kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
Blade_shinigami

yeh, i'm gonna use aluminium flywire for the mesh at teh front bumper, i've dcided to use da pipe Davo used, found 80mm ones at bunnings but ran out of cash