Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 08-08-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
azaudio

Car: Astina 1.8i se
Chip vs Fuel Management system

Well I still cant make up my mind about going for the unichip.

Now there is a new option on my books , a fuel management system.
What do you guys and gals think.

There is a system here in South Africa that incorporates both a chip upgrade and fuel management system all in one for cheaper than the unichip. hmmmmmm

Descisions desicions

HELP :?: 8)

When life gives you lemons - start making cocktails !!
azaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2003, 07:46 PM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I have a WOLF 3D running the engine in the Cosmo. When I make significant changes I can have it re-tuned to suit them, If you travel down the unichip route then you will be limited to the unichip programming (like now you are limited to the Mazda programming).
It would cost me about $1800 to replace the Astina ECU with a Wolf (about 50% more than the pre-programmed upgrade) but it is tuned to my engine and can be re-tuned for about $350.

Rod
Old 09-08-2003, 05:09 AM   #3
azaudio

Thx Cosmo

Yea ive seen the wolf 3d advertised over here too.

Will it work on my mazda aswell or is it mainly targeted to the turbo systems?

Old 09-08-2003, 05:39 AM   #4
azaudio

Ok just found out about the wolf3d hmmm not bad but will cost 4 times the price of the unichip.

What kind of performance/driveability increases or benefits did u get from the wolf3d?

Old 12-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #5
azaudio

Just got a price on the Gotech mfi system and its cheaper than the Unichip,but which one would be the better one to go for regarding performance ? Thats the question??? :?: R2100 compared to R2500

Old 12-08-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
If you get a good tuner then good, if not then
I can't speak for the guys in your area.

Rod
Old 13-08-2003, 12:27 AM   #7
azaudio

Anyone heard of or used a Gotech MFI management system
check out http://www.gotech.co.za
What u think? 8)

Old 13-08-2003, 08:49 AM   #8
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
In a lot of cases the best 'chip' or 'management system' comes not down to features but the amount of support, the skill of the support and most importantly the tuning.

I've had the (un)fortunate experience to work on some cars in my former life where mega $$ Motec/Autronic systems had been installed, low rpm tuning done on an engine dyno and upper done on the road.

End results, usually somethign that pulled like a train to mid rpm then at high rpm everything went to **** unless the weather/fuel and undies were the right colour. Also had the same thing reversed.

Most telling experience was an offroad racer, pretty much bottomless wallet job, it was a 3.5L DOHC BiTurbo v6 (Mitsu based with a lot of custom work) that should have been cranking about 900hp on avgas at peak tune. We were getting 400hp at ~4000rpm and then it's flatspot and die until ~5500rpm before hammering up to ~600hp at 7100rpm (cutout). Diagnostics pointed to a fueling problem from 3500rpm, which by some fluke introduced an ignition problem for the bad 1500rpm that then cleared to let it run lean and pinging up the 7100rpm.

We rebuilt the fuel system, added more pumps, bigger lines, more injectors, change filters etc etc... all ended up being traced into a programming error in the fuel maps... The ECU was trying to initiate a cut to protect the motor, but that was only happening at one point becuase at the 5500rpm point the knucklehead had removed the protection in attempt to get past the problem etc etc etc

Needless to say the 4 months it took to get that thing tuned right was a nightmare as we were building the chassis, and constantly having to revise the chassis to fit the engine changes while the engine builders/tuners tried to get it right.

*Aaron makes mental note that mounting the engine in its own spaceframe may have been uber smart but damn it made things hard work*
Old 13-08-2003, 11:58 PM   #9
azaudio

Thx Aaron
By the sounds of things u had a couple of sleepless nights :lol:

Regarding support I found these guys at Gotech really helpfull and I must say its one of the few companies that have impressed me in this industry.
The Unichip guys dont seem too bad aswell.

Descisions decisions s..t s..t :wink: