Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Samsara

Car: 2003 BJ-II 323 Astina Hatch
Sub and Speakers

Hey all,

I've been looking around for my future sound system (inc. new Head Unit) and I came across this Sub (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-g...mbo-sku-52575/)

I was wondering if Cadence is any good for Quality/Longetivity?
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
ive never used cadence before... but i'm a kenwood/eclipse fan

but cant u get cadence from jcar???

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Never been a cadence fan, it's not exactly the most accurate sound. For $300 though its a cheap way to get bass.

If you're after a nice sub with a decent kick, take a look at the 12" polk mm's. Huggeee fan. Hard to beat for price and quality.

If you're willing to blow some $$$ on an great sub that'll let you keep your boot space, the JL TW5 13.5" slim line is amazing. Tight, accurate and only needs 0.8cf! Its whats going in the 3gt
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Samsara

I have no idea what 0.8cf means, but I'm going to assume because it's a small number, its good.

I don't listen to *womp womp womp* bass type music. I listen to the bass from Double-Kick pedals on a drum kit, so it's more of a studio/live sound than a manufactured one.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
smurfy

Car: sp20
jbhifi normaly have a sub and amp kicker package for normaly 380, heard its alright

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
jbhifi normaly have a sub and amp kicker package for normaly 380, heard its alright
x2, the kicker woofer in ported box I have had for now 5.5years is still going strong

Can always go into JB and ask for a deal, I bought my old Pioneer MP3 player, woofer, amp kit & rear speakers from them and they took abotu $150 off the total price

Cadence arent too bad, there 6.5" speakers are alright, I have them in the greenbird
Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
smurfy

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-g...mbo-sku-73622/

thats the one..

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Samsara

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Hopefully they still have it in a few months. I've heard excellent things about Kicker, just wanted to know a bit more about the other mob's car speakers... apparently their home theatre stuff is great too....
Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Samsara

How does SPL audio go?

WOW have this one here https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart...E-22p18417.htm for $60... its a cheapy for sure, so it wouldnt be that bad if it blows...
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Think twice before gong for "cheap stuff". Usually, that's what you get

On the other hand, concerning head units, be aware of the once favoured "name brands" that are dishing out crap lines nowdays under the guise of there high-end models ie: unless you buy the really high end Alpine, they are crap! Pioneer are actually making very good "mid-range" HU's nowdays Sony used to be really good way back now, just another number-cruncher brand I'm afraid.......this goes for subs as well. Again, pioneer aren't that bad (for the money that is), just watch buying cheap sound stuff.

Just research models & look at the reviews before splashing out your hard-earned dosh I took ages to decide on the right HU. Then, found the one I wanted on special @ AutoBarn hehe....

Tip: Be careful how you hook up your amps!!!!!!! A badly wired amp will still work but you will kill the components sooner or later........

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Samsara

I wouldn't know the first thing on how to wire any of it up, was just going to get the blokes at WOW/JB/SuperCheap to do it and pay for Labour.... haha

Thankyou for the advice though
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
tbh wire it yourself. ask a few questions, tim seems like a well researched forumeer.

i just bought a JBL 12" GTO1202D sub 2nd hand for $50. we shall see how it sounds. anyone know about dual voice coils in subs and why i would bother to wire it in 1ohm vs 4ohm...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
tbh wire it yourself. ask a few questions, tim seems like a well researched forumeer.
thanks buddy, it's when your forced to learn stuff you kinda get with the flow

I found sound really needs to be understood to be appreciated. It does take time & I was no electronics expert that's for sure but once I started looking into it, it made sense. I'm gearing up for the ECU custom install....oooowww bit scary

Quote:
i just bought a JBL 12" GTO1202D sub 2nd hand for $50. we shall see how it sounds. anyone know about dual voice coils in subs and why i would bother to wire it in 1ohm vs 4ohm...
Dual voice coil subs are more expensive because of the wiring. Both coils are wired together so you can use a 2 or 4 channel amp to run one sub.

1ohm will give better bass but will also increase risk of hearing distortion. Only good quality amps (powerful ones) can handle such low ohms. Dual voice coils are a little trickier to grasp. If you hook up a dual voice coil 4ohm speaker will run at 8ohms. In a series hook up, a 4ohm speaker will run at 2ohms.

Basically, dual voice coil subs were made for non-mono amps. If you use say a 2 channel amp, each channel runs 1 voice coil. With a mono amp you don't need dual voice coils, just a single. Sorry if I hav'nt explained it clearly, I only breezed over it as I am using twin subs.

If you hook 2 subs up to a mono amp, it will double the ohms resulting in less quality sound but less distortion risk. You can even quadruple the ohms depending on the hook up......

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 08-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Cadence is a cheap brand, and performs exactly to it's price, cheap.

On the other hand, my work currently holds Fusion sub + amp + wiring kit pack for $199!

I will guarantee it goes hard as for small ported 12.

http://www.frankiesautoelectrics.com...dge-enclosure/

(It does say $299 on the website, BUT the current TV ad says $199)
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Clean_Cookie

thanks tim! i am a sparky by trade, so the whole ohms/power thing makes sense to me! yay. but as it is advertised this sub has 2x 2ohm coils. i have a 150W x4 (500W @ 4 ohm single output) response amp which is ok, and should be fine for my sub, but is it better to run a single cable and run in monoblock form or run 2x cables and run @ 2ohm.?

for a 300/1200W (92db at 1W/1M) how many Watts would be recommended for optimum performance in an amp... i have no idea how to pick quality? i just buy 2nd hand decent branded/reviewed items.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #16
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Quote:
i have a 150W x4 (500W @ 4 ohm single output) response amp which is ok, and should be fine for my sub, but is it better to run a single cable and run in monoblock form or run 2x cables and run @ 2ohm.?

run 2x cables and run @ 2ohm i'd believe?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #17
NaughtyGT

Quote:
thanks tim! i am a sparky by trade, so the whole ohms/power thing makes sense to me! yay. but as it is advertised this sub has 2x 2ohm coils. i have a 150W x4 (500W @ 4 ohm single output) response amp which is ok, and should be fine for my sub, but is it better to run a single cable and run in monoblock form or run 2x cables and run @ 2ohm.?
always better to run a sub with a monoblock amp If you do run 2 wires, make sure both channel gains are exactly the same!

That Response amp should handle 1 sub @ 2ohm. Is it an older amp? Response are pretty darn good & pump out strong sound. I am running a 1000WRMS but was purposely bought as it has dual speaker inputs to run both my subs. Still has one amplifier so will run my twins @ 4ohms I think? 2 & 1 ohm load would only be for running one sub.

Quote:
for a 300/1200W (92db at 1W/1M) how many Watts would be recommended for optimum performance in an amp... i have no idea how to pick quality? i just buy 2nd hand decent branded/reviewed items.
the trick is for the amp to be more powerful than the speaker application. That way the amp runs lower output & the speakers get an easier time. Speakers get damaged when the amp is too weak & you get a voltage drop due to amp straining to meet the speaker output needed.

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 08-08-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
smurfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
How does SPL audio go?

WOW have this one here https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart...E-22p18417.htm for $60... its a cheapy for sure, so it wouldnt be that bad if it blows...
another good website to look at is http://www.ryda.com.au/ ordered speakers from them, got them in 2days

Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #19
Clean_Cookie

The amp was running at its limit I think, it only shut Down once due to being buried under the seat with no airflow but got damn hot everyday. Wasn't too concerned when the whole setup with 2 amps and wiring was only $80 off eBay!
Clean_Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
My ****ty eBay amp is still pumping
It still discharges the caps rapidly on shut down causing a pop thru the sub, but it has been 2 years and the sub+amp have outlived their intended life (in my book) already
The sub is a kicker cvr and pumps good
Problem with the 8 is that I had to splice the rear line in to the rear amp to get a RCA signal so it's strong, and when amplified means I have to turn the amp all the way not to over power the music with bass (all about the balance )
Cadance USED to make good shyt back in the day, dunno now but
Heh the only time my amp turned off was when I blew the 60A fuze at full basssss (that I wanted, it could still pump more) now I use a 75 and all good baby