AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior & Electrics (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ABOUT: BJ - Little puddle in car?! (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6996)

arden 05-07-2006 05:03 PM

ABOUT: BJ - Little puddle in car?!

Washed the car this arvo and when i hopped back inside i noticed splashes of water near the pedals area!!!

Anyone BJ owners had same problem???

Any clues what i need to replace?

TERRA Operative 05-07-2006 05:14 PM

Did you have your aircon running before you noticed the water? You could have dislodged the drain pipe from the airbox thingo.

arden 05-07-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TERRA Operative
Did you have your aircon running before you noticed the water? You could have dislodged the drain pipe from the airbox thingo.

Nope, air con wasnt turned on.

I remember a few weeks ago, it was raining a lil, and i noticed a few drops land on my foot as well!

mike_d87 05-07-2006 05:32 PM

check the plastic thing at the bottom of the windscreen on the outside. my sister's does the same thing and it looks like it has come unsealed and is letting water in.

platypus 05-07-2006 07:19 PM

glad mine isn't the only one then..... check the drain hole... it located to the underside just near the jack point... i think?

i unclogged mine when i had the front quarter panel off.... PS - don't take that panel off... its a bastard to re-align!

chicaboo 05-07-2006 08:08 PM

Mine leaks pretty bad too, I didn't think it was anything to do windscrean gutter though, as I cleaned out the bottom area best I could when I had the sideskirts off...

Feel better knowing you're not the only one! :(

DrSilver 05-07-2006 09:48 PM

I had the same problem with my hyundai. It was leaking water through the door seals. change your weather strips or realign the door so it sits tight to the body when closed.

the plastic cover under the windscreen is only for aesthetic purposes. the windscreen is actually glued to the body with rubber.

chipa 05-07-2006 11:44 PM

Mine does the same, and I've gone crazy trying to track it down. Current suspect is the throttle cable area going through the firewall.

Cosmo Dude 06-07-2006 06:51 PM

Do you live in a leafie area?
If so you may need to clean out the plenum where the wiper motor lives.

platypus 06-07-2006 09:28 PM

holy crap - i'm shocked to discover i suffered this in silence.. (truth be known i thougth it was also due to the fine body condition of my car too...)

chipa 06-07-2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude

checked that, check all trim. everything! Takes too long to track down as I tend to forget everytime I wash the car.

arden 06-07-2006 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude

Nope, car is rarely parked on the streets or under trees.
90% of the time is spend parked undeground

blacksp20 11-07-2006 09:10 AM

I have had the same problem for over a year.

I have actually seen the water coming in, and in mine it flows down the back of the brake pedal. Unfortunately I am a big unit and find it hard to squeeze into the footwell to track it back, plus I don't have a helper to pour water around the windscreen area.

Hope this helps.

blacksp20 26-07-2006 02:09 PM

anyone had any progress with the puddle??

arden 26-07-2006 02:58 PM

Well ive been driving in the rain for the past week.
no leaks..

havent washed car since thou.

Noble323 26-07-2006 04:20 PM

I had a problem with leaking into the car in the drivers front were the pedels are (the whole floor) i had a Astina Hardtop V6.

I tryed everything, at the end it ended up to be, i know this is going to sound stupid, but ever since i fixed it - it never leaked in the car even in heavy rain and wash, anyways inside teh car on the door trim at the bottom it kept on coming off and the rubber was kinda attached to it but memory so i brought some new clips , put them on so it wont pop out, and never leaked .

But that was a Astina V6 Hardtop, dunno what the BJ Looks like ?

Cosmo Dude 26-07-2006 05:52 PM

You could also try THESE :p

woofy 26-07-2006 11:19 PM

I've never had it, but I do remember brad and a few others mentioning it before.

blacksp20 27-07-2006 07:30 PM

Noble, in the BJ, well in mine anyway, the water is definately coming through the firewall somewhere and not the door trim. I have actually felt water on my foot after washing and saw drops coming off the back of the brake pedal. Unfortunately I couldn't trace it back any further unfortunately, but I suspect it is coming through a rubber plug in the firewall somewhere.

Cosmo, cheers for the depends idea :)

blacksp20 05-09-2006 06:31 PM

just bringing this one back from the dead.

I washed my car again the other day and noticed heaps of water in the usual spot on the carpet. Looking up I actually saw water dripping down the back of the clutch pedal, not the brake like I said earlier.

Since I had my brother handy, I removed the plastic panel from in front of the windscreen. I then shoehorned my big frame into the footwell upside down so I could see up under the dash, meanwhile my bro put the hose lightly onto the area behind the plastic panel, right above where the clutch pedal is. Water then poured down the clutch, so I am confident that this is where the problem lies.

I then looked around under the windscreen and there is a join between two metal panels where the firewall bends up to meet another panel that goes under the dash. The join between the two panels is really the only place where water could get through. I then pushed the clutch pedal and found that the drips actually increased. So I think that there is a very small crack between the two pressed metal plates that is most likely opening more when I push the clutch, as the firewall probably deforms slightly when doing this.

So I am confident in saying that the cure for all our leaking problems is some urethane (not silicone as it doesn't go well with paint) over the join between these two pressed metal plates. I will buy some this week and get back to you all with the outcome.

appologies for the length

blacksp20