AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Talk (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Opinnons wanted (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5317)

Laser the Amazer 08-11-2005 10:12 PM

Opinnons wanted

hey guys

I'm trying to decide what to do

As most of you know I have a 2001 1.6 BJII Astina Hatch.

a bit over a month ago I got a really good long drive of a 2001 SP20 Hatch.

As some of you can probably guess I fell in love with the SP20.

I am now weighing up the options on whether it would be worth while to upgrade to a low km SP20.

I mean I payed about $9000 less then the going price of a SP20 that is in good condition.

My Question is how much dearer are they to insure and run.

My 1.6 does over 800kms a tank on a trip.

Any Advice will be much appreciated

Rob

chicaboo 08-11-2005 10:23 PM

SP20 costs the same to insure as a 1.8 does with Scumcorp. The SP20 can get 700km+/tank if with a performance exhaust, less with stock setup... J48s have nicer tailights.

Gav.

twilightprotege 08-11-2005 10:34 PM

i can get about 800k's per tank pre-MT even with all the mods i've done...but then again i know that was running lean. no idea what post-MT gives me yet...

anyway, for a $9k change-over, imo you're better upgrading your car. get the sp20 kit, get your suspension sorted, maybe even get a small turbo setup since the 1.6 loves boost.

project.r.racing 08-11-2005 10:36 PM

hey thats your call bro.

great gearbox and clutches in the 1.6s, light and good on fuel economy.

sp20 are good cars, but it would be around that $9000 change over price you talked about... almost same car, different engine + suspension + interior.

isn't there a low-blow turbo kit from europe that does on the 1.6s also...? maybe worth looking at before you make a decission. and sometime different on the road...

hope i didn't confuse the situation any further. goes with what you feel is right...

ryan

arden 08-11-2005 10:44 PM

the best i can get out of a full tank is around 575km...

chicaboo 08-11-2005 10:46 PM

Andrew, I'm yet to see anyone else's SP20 get the mileage your's does, so there's no point even mentioning yours when you have P&P'd bench flowed head and TB, RRFPR, and custpm HP cams, blah blah blah...

arden 08-11-2005 10:47 PM

Rob
if u do get a sp20, do u plan to mod it??or just keep it stock?

platypus 08-11-2005 10:54 PM

rob, didn't you fall in love with the accord euro too???

Laser the Amazer 08-11-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahb11m
rob, didn't you fall in love with the accord euro too???

I haven't got $35,000 and work won't give me one as a company car.

I plan to buy a stock one and leave it stock. My current Astina is stock.

I've got this week off so might go looking and see what I would be up for as a change over price

I got my BJ at a very good price. I would probably make money if I sold it

Rob

chicaboo 08-11-2005 11:08 PM

SP20s have a very nice light clutch, ****'s all over the 1.8s craparse gearboxes...

SehnKhan 08-11-2005 11:33 PM

Rob, I wouldn't be doing anything until you sell that Lynx of yours, and then the Astina you currently also have. Why not just sell the Astina and get the Lynx on the road as a daily driver? It's a tastefully done car that doesn't drawe HEAPS of attention to itself.

I have to question why you feel the need to upgrade to an SP20 when you already have one very quick car (Lynx) and one very good piece of machinery (Astina)... I suppose you need to weigh it all up. What makes you so keen on the SP20? Is it the look? Is it the power?

And you also need to weigh up where it'll leave you financially... can you really afford to go with the SP20 AND save for the house/investment property?

If your heart is set on it, be sure to lose both vehicles you currently have before going anywhere near paperwork for an SP20. I know you've got a level head and you're a smart guy, I don't want to see you make the same mistakes that I did with cars and put yourself in a bad position financially that will take you ions to get out of.

Heh, just stop... breathe in and out... consider what you already have and think whether the extra expense is justified for an SP20.

Side note... I think the Lynx is still a far more unique car then a stock SP20 (your Lynx that is, not just any run of the mill Lynx). I'd be holding onto that and selling the Astina if you want the extra speed. On the flipside, if you want to be conservative with your petrol expenses, I'd be inclined to think the 1.6 Astina would be a little more economical then the SP20.

Big decision mate... hope you make the right one.

mazdamanik 09-11-2005 06:05 AM

first of all ask ureslf if tis a need or a want.....in ur situation i woud say its a want, therefore its should only be something you get after the things u need....is there really any point in getting an SP20 when u got 2 cars, one which u cant sell. I agree with SehnKhan and wat he said.

i went through a similar thing not long ago when deciding weather to mod my car or leave it, i have since decided i cannot afford to mod it so its staying stock for a while.

But then people are different s if u really want the SP then in my opinion u should do as SehnKhan said and make sure both cars are gone before getting another.....wat the point in haveing a cr sitting around that dosnt do anything?

twilightprotege 09-11-2005 07:42 AM

i only get 800k's frmo a tank on the highway between here an sydney because it's a constant speed.

Laser the Amazer 09-11-2005 03:58 PM

I'll most likely stick with my 1.6

just was toying with the idea and thinking outloud, And wanted to get other people's opinnon on the SP20 opposed to the 1.6.

My main thing is to get a place in QLD as investment before doing anything with cars again and selling the Lynx so I can do that.

Rob

skippy 09-11-2005 04:16 PM

sounds the smartest choice,

if still unsure,

make a list of why you want the SP20 (or whatever you want in life)
list what it will cost to get it (Financial, time, opportunties missed,etc)

make a list of why you want something else,
list what it will cost to get it,

repeat and compare all options

its what I do, helps with all sorts financial related qunadries.

Doesn't help you sort out chick **** but, grrrrr,

KittyKatSmack 20-11-2005 09:52 AM

I heartily agree with SehnKhan here, Mazdamanik and the others that have given their opinions.

At the end of the day it is totally up to you, and whatever you choose, we will support you.

Best of luck to you

tidy protege 20-11-2005 08:05 PM

Its up to you rob, the 1.6 is a really nice car and we come across these hard decisions all the time, i have come to this position a couple of times, last year i wanted a sube, this year i wanted a sp20 and next year ill be selling tidy for a new 3.

At the end of the day you will wind up very happy as any 323 is going to provide you with what you are looking for they are just an awsome car, it will be sad to see my car go as you will miss the 1.6 but you will move on to bigger and better things.

I personally would get the sp20 as i know through driving a couple, they are a really enjoyable car to drive and they are a better car than all the lancers, civics and pulsers you see out there.

dfvadr 21-11-2005 02:25 PM

e the canberra trip that included 2 goes on the dyno i got 780k,s out off that tank but i think around town driving you should easy achieve 600-650 on a trip add 100 an on that canberra trip we cruised at about 115 the whole time except in town off coarse, me i love my sp20 so i could only say if your happy do it , good luck

goldsp 21-11-2005 03:00 PM

Um i dont know how you all are getting 700+ kms on a tank. I drive 500 kms freeway driving a week and at best can only get 600km off a tank. thats all freeway driving and only about 50 kms city driving. (this is driving very very economical)

the sp20 is a great car and mine will be up forsale fairly soon :)

sherrif 31-01-2006 10:48 PM

Something wrong with my 2001 SP20 then, I only get about 550km to a tank? But then I only have to drive 4.8km to work and then 4.8km home!

Lazy aren't I :D

Should ride a pushbike to work I hear you all say. :o Bugger that! :p