View Single Post
Old 21-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #143
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidy protege
Correct me if im wrong but Torque is meant to be a major killer for most gear boxes and Superchargers supply a great deal more torque than Turbo's do, this is what makes me worry. If I have mis stated anything please correct me but from what i have heard superchargers kill boxes, turbos put on extra strain but arnt as lethal.
Supercharger's don't actually put out more torque at all, remember turbochargers and superchargers end up doing the same thing - They compress air to increase amount of 'fuel'(petrol&air) in the engine that can go bang. The only difference is how they get the 'drive/power' to produce this air compression. Because a supercharger is mechanically driven it is actually more inefficient than a turbo. There are pros & cons to both systems. The main things you would look at between 2 systems with approx equal outputs are: lag vs power hit(super) vs size of installation.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote