View Single Post
Old 20-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
It's not what options - it's how deep your pockets are.

because each one costs money. 90% of population will either find problem fix it move on and that may include a recondtioned engine or some head reco work to replace a bent vlave etc.

The import change etc options Are just as costly or inexpensive depending on how you look at it.

I use my 626 wagon as example - bought with valve stems gone.
Options were - repair - mild mods - costed $2900. NO ECU (as I'd use unichip I had doing nothing )
legal no issue
Work the 2.2L - more so mild er gains not as easy to drive with big cam
minmal issue
Option 2 drop in F2T -gearbox - easy rego etc etc. OR turbo current engine - same thing.
legal issues but passable.

option 3 import motor FE DOHC - $800 -ECU $1500 tuned - labour - cost $5000.

I took option 3 - reason I know it cost $5000.
because I had to do new driveshafts - new clutch Additional parts the car needed.

All these thing have to be added in place. If I did work my self save big money - problem I don't save time. it was converted tuned in 3 weeks drive in drive out whole new suspension drive line - bushes.

Now it's okay and easier doign it over time and you don't see the big bill but it all adds up.

So just ask your self, are you seriously willing to do such modifications to a car worth $5000 or so.

Work out how much you really have to spend because you don't want to find out latter you need in 1 week to redo - rear brakes because of murphys law or something unexpected. If the car is your only travel can you afford to have it off the road for a long time etc.

IMO if it was me I'd sell it buy a Sp20. but that's be because I want to make legalites quicker and simpler - AKA don't doo more then required.

If you find it's minor head issues you can always have it decked slightly mildly smothend and tickles when it's out.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote