View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
Yeah, QLD only, so why apply to a car registered in NSW, Aaron will have to deal with the engineer & RTA for this

Carry on, im intrigued by this conversion
no wonder why I was confused about that statement! lol

Yep, have to get a Mod plate/ certificate and RTA for rego update and blue slip.

I have Pm'ed Ed, But this is what i asked:

Quote:
were there any changes to the KLZE engines between 1998 and 2002, with regards to emission controls??
and in that matter... and emission controls different between the aussie delivered KLDE and the later model ZE's?
If there was no change... do you have any Mazda workshop manual pages to back this up?

Just that when it comes time to getting this swap sorted... i want to be able to go and see Engineers with some documentation and see if i can put a 98, 99 or 00, engine into my car...
only because they are easier to get my hands on than the 2001 and 2002 engines
If i can get away with running the 99-00 KL, it would make the swap a decent bit cheaper and easier.

Would be even better if i could swap in a 96 KLDE. that way i can get it all in there and running... would be able to do the swap ULTRA cheap. then either buy another KLDE to do a full rebuild (hicomp pistons), headwork and cams.
OR
then I could import a KLZE...
then its just a matter of removing engine and refitting the ZE straight in (basically).

I will behaving a chat to a few engineers here to get their thoughts and feedback about the swap... and actually see for certain if this swap can be done Legit in NSW... rather than just assuming some stuff and guessing others.

End of the day... its the Engineer that says yes or no and has his interpretation of the law and what cars/ mods he will approve.

The thought of the 2002 3.0V6 was only due to the fact its locally available and wouldn't be an issue for age of motor vs age of car... they are super cheap to get an entire MPV that's been written off with everything swap.

But Then you are looking at more complications when it comes to Engineering and Blue slip... like the possibility of custom cross member and engine mounts etc. and the whole fact that you cannot get a damn MPV in manual! so have to import a Gearbox or do some wild modifications with bell housing adapter to try and get something else to fit.

The KL is a far easier swap in that sense
but then there is the down side of cost... although, after that many mods to get the 3.0 to fit... it would probably work out cheaper anyway to do the KL.

and the KL has been "tried and tested" as such.

the downside is getting a 2001 + KL is a tad exxy and difficult...
but hey... i have 8 months to save and research and ask 1Million people 10Million questions rofl