View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 07:28 PM   #89
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hi all,

Glad to see Chipa onboard the discussion now. And I love that the NA king is floating around in a turbo thread too! :P

Wiredone: A couple of weeks ago at the big Fordlaser cruise I had some problems going back up the mountains for a short time. Basically after following a large bus up the hills with us all huddled up in 1st or 2nd for a few minutes we all finally got the chance to shoot past it. Not long after, my car wouldn't rev past 4000rpm for almost a minute in 2nd I think? There was no extraordinary noises that I could hear, nor was the engine temperature up. I am worried that high revving 1st and 2nd gear for a while caused an overheated auto and it may have been slipping. But since I have no knowledge on slipping autos I cannot say for sure it was this or a confused ECU from me working the ratios? When an auto slips does the engine rev out of control or does the torque convertor stop working effetively enough to drive as described? And no I didn't accidently push the HOLD button on the shifter...

This is the second time I've had an auto hiccup, the first was months ago the day after a service. That time it LOCKED in 3rd gear for a VERY long time on the highway. Finally I worked out that if I revved it hard enough it would change up. So when I got the chance I gave it some stick and it finally shifted into 4th an resumed to drive normally with downshifts and everything... Hmmm, it has held gears in cold weather for a while before, but not like it did this time.

In anycase, these two incidents have worried me enough to listen to suggestions of transmission oil coolers now. Not drifting off topic, but with 2X the stock power this sort thing could only be worse.

Any ideas?
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote