View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #66
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Astina GianT, you are a person with many Questions. I will try to answer some.
Its irrelevant as to whether the engine came out of an auto or manual equipped car as the mounting of the fly is where your box comes into play and both ATX and MTX will accomodate this. The choice of v6 or I4 comes down to what you wish to do and how far you want to take your modification process to go ($$$ dependant).
If you want an NA screamer you will find the v6 is the choice (not that boosting the V is out of the Q its just a lot more mucking around and custom work $$) There are a few turbo'd mx6s and Probes in the USA as well as SC versions but a lot of them have issues with the un availability of solid HLAs and springs/ valves dropping, there is however a lot of research going on in the probetalk site to combat this problem at present. There is also a lack of aftermarket support for these engines and most of the research is done by drivers who are playing the guinea pigs with their own engines in the Quest for the bulletproof engine at the risk of costing themselves a busted engine. And with the supply vs demand stakes over there they are putting up with excessive waits on parts as the suppliers are "mostly" working out of their garage. I am not telling you that the v6 is not an opyion for modifying nor am I claiming that its to be avoided but be aware that the v6 industry is still green. I for one know that Austrack Motorsports (who deal with Chev, Ford and Holden) built a replica VX Commodore using a RWD twin turbo'd KL v6 and managed to extract 595 kw on 1.9 bar. So the figures are possible as may not be the $$$ required.

Here is a list of parts published that they used:

Standard block with reinforced bores
Standard crankshaft (crack tested, ground and balanced)
Engine bearings throughout are ACL
Eagle H-beam rods (balanced)
forged JE pistons and matching rings (balanced)
Standard heads with extensive porting
Ferra oversized valves (remaining valvetrain custom designed by Austrack)
Custom grind camshafts (secret)
Custom fabricated Cam Gears
Twin Garret 340hp bb turbos flowing 1.9 bar (welded up wastegates
Custom fabricated 316 stainless exhaust manifold with equal length 1 7/8" primaries
3'' exhaust
Twin external 45mm Turbosmart wastegates with seperate dump
2x Plazaman air-air intercoolers (600mmx600mm cores)= extra pipework but less weight
Custom aluminium radiator which also cools the oil
Electric waterpump
Custom Intake Manifold using twin 65mm Throttle Bodies (inside 6 bell-mouthed trumpets feed air to the port matched heads)
Twin Turbomaster BOVs just before TB
Race Grade Silicone Hoses
Motec M800 ECU
Ignition= original mazda multi-coil
Twin Bosch 600hp Motorsport fuel pumps
6x 1400cc injectors
2x RRFPR

and thats about the limit of the engine

You can go ahead and guess what that one has cost to build
Remember that its no longer a transverse engine

And they managed to break 3 $45'000 boxes with that

Well thats the world of the v6