Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 24-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
Flyblown

Car: 88 BF ss, Familia GTR ,KH laser sedan 1.6 4WD Auto
Hypathetical.
you drive into a mechanic car is making funny grinding noises from the engine.

Mechanic starts car to listen the "grinding" noise you have described
engine seizes mechanic checks oil non there totally empty WHO's fault.
lesson Learn to fix you own car not being hard just realistic
things we cant do is surgery on ourselves for that we HAVE to trust a doctor
We dont get ripped off we just pay dearly for the lessons we learn

Last edited by Flyblown; 24-05-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: +
Flyblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
To be honest, you learnt a hard lesson on getting something fixed cheaply, but not correctly. At least now the car runs, and if I was a mechanic, I would advise doing everything they did, otherwise it will be half assed and you would be back there complaining.

From the looks of the other items on the list they wrote, you have more things to worry about yet.
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
This is the problem I've had with going to the mechanic. They won't do quotes, and when you've got limited money and stuff keeps going wrong eg: stuck shaft, its stressful when you're not sure if you can actually pay for it! Just one reason I've always done it DIY. At least you know what the parts are costing. anyway good job on the brakes, did you flush them with all new fluid as well?
Old 29-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323astina97 View Post
Yeah but if they don't want to give a written quote that would be a little suss :S I'll just stick a bloody voice recorder in my pocket lol

And no not yet, I said that to my mate while we were doing it and was gonna grab some new fluid soon, you reckon it should be done everytime the pads are replaced? the back pads we left coz they were like 2/3rds left, the front only had like 1/3 though :S had to be done lol
Cant record people without there knowledge.
Old 29-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
TheMAN

Car: .
that's too bad... only one party need consent for recordings in Texas, that means YOU can secretly record conversations... I done that before where I used to work because management was trying to screw me over... collected evidence and reported them to the employment commission
Old 29-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #26
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
You can record Voice - you can't record

Voice and video/vision. That's why the police to do video taps and be legal must have a court document.

Its a bit like video camera security is all legal if it's vision only - even in dressing rooms but Sound is not. A known case of a peeping tom in dressing rooms was done because he did sound as well.

oh and notice in the news they moslty block out peoples faces. All them ACA today crap tonight. etc You can record in public both. But when they do those people its' in a journolism area. Now the bit where most poeple fail is opening the door.
Notice the smart and rich don't allow them on the property. With a big gate.
if they come to your door just tell them to leave other wise tresspassing and 90% they do. because otherwise they are going beyond there scope or there rights.

The Big thing is and it has happend is voice and video in one has been not applicable in evidence in court for that reason. In one case Tv crew got footage of a guy at his hosue and stuff. That man then broke cameras etc. They tryed to make him pay. The person who let these Jurnos on the property where they are assaulted and filmed stuff which was not used. Did not live there. Thus making everything illigal. The angry man who then latter on was charged with other items still won against that netwrok. Yet they had the evidence of him bashing the sound recorder man. But he tresspassing , So all footage was not applicable and they could not show it on Tv. An injunction was put in place.
Notcie the only time they get in the face of people is in public space. Oh and a dealership is not a public space.

Remember whole don't film my children you peadofile, even though your filimg your kids became a total joke - ask the other parents. Public space is reason why it don't really hold up well.

Last edited by rodhog; 29-05-2012 at 10:09 PM.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #27
Jashdown

Car: Nothing ATM
If it hasn't already been mentioned, if they install any parts and charge you for it without your express permission, you do not have to pay. You also do not have to pay for the labor required to do the job and you do not have to pay the labor for them to remove the unwanted items.

This information is on the ACCC website. If you can't find it, give them a call and they will give you all the information you need.
Jashdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #28
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
He may not have known the cost.

When I worked at the mechanics place they ordered the parts required based on what was needed. What you get charged and what they pay are two different things, the joints may have cost 300 but they charged 350 for example.

The mechanics only ever gave rough ranges if they there were asked IIRC.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #29
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
I really dont understand this thread. If you have a junker and it needs $1000 work to fix it. Then it needs $1000 spent on it.

What would you have preferred?
A) Spend $1000 and have it completely fixed, or
B) Have them put it back together minus some new parts costing you $700 and it still clapping loader than the kids on the special school bus when driving away, only to get the other stuff fixed 2-4 weeks labour at $500, doubling up on some labour.

Personally I think they did you are favour by getting you back on the road asap. You brought them a junker with a shopping list of problems longer than the Great Wall of China, and they fixed it for you.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #30
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
You took it to a dealer, you dont expect them to use cheaper aftermarket parts as it is not in their best interest.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
project.r.racing

Quote:
I would have got it fixed just as they said it needed... I've said several times all I wanted was to be notified of the parts prices first, because i found the exact same parts brand new elsewhere for $250, so I would have got it all fixed just the same, just for 250 cheaper, simple, most people can scoff at a mere 250 difference but I'm not made of money so I appreciate any savings to pay off bills etc these days...
As for the cheaper parts. That is BS. You cannot get hubs/uprights non genuine. So take that out of the arguement. Even if they say you could, it wasn't gonna happen, and you were gonna go the Mazda option anyways.

The bearings are the only thing you could've got from those two items you said you can get at supercheap. And Mazda would've installed them and then proceeded to tell you that you don't not have a warrenty on the job just done.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
chewyryce

Car: NA MX5
also. even if you could get the parts for said cost they would have to wait for you to deliver it to them which like i said in my first statement they cannot always wait for customers to reply back and if you do end up giving them the parts most likely they will leave your car till last as they would have had to finished off all the other cars that have been booked in at scheduled time. they will not try and push yours in between other customers just to get yours out first. everyone waits and if yours is delayed it will be a very long wait and you most likely wouldnt have gotten your car back in time
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #33
project.r.racing

Quote:
I would have been fine with that wait, and so would mazda, my car was not a priority anyway, they kept saying it was lower on the list of stuff to do, so they most likely would have welcomed the extra wait.
A half dissassembled car just sitting there up on a hoist, stopping them from doing other jobs is not something they would have welcomed. Don't kid yourself. It is probably one of the worst things that can happen in a workshop. Other than whingy customers with junkers and want 1000s of things fixed for peanuts.

Quote:
The CV joints put in they got and were not genuine, but had a 4 year warranty.
You need to read posts properly. I didn't type that non genuine leads to warrenty exclusion. Supplying your own parts from another supply source will.

You went to a dealership workshop. You paid dealership prices. You need to grow up, move on, and go to an independent workshop next time. And save 20-30% next time.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #34
323astina97

Car: 97' 323 Astina BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
A half dissassembled car just sitting there up on a hoist, stopping them from doing other jobs is not something they would have welcomed. Don't kid yourself. It is probably one of the worst things that can happen in a workshop. Other than whingy customers with junkers and want 1000s of things fixed for peanuts.

You need to read posts properly. I didn't type that non genuine leads to warrenty exclusion. Supplying your own parts from another supply source will.

You went to a dealership workshop. You paid dealership prices. You need to grow up, move on, and go to an independent workshop next time. And save 20-30% next time.
You need to chill out man..

And it's all over because the situation has been sorted and I'm happy with the outcome

Last edited by 323astina97; 08-06-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: HAPPY ENDING!
323astina97 is offline   Reply With Quote