Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #41
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
i personally wont be lowering my car as i will be getting skirts and new front and rear bars and the astina is pretty damn low at the front end as it is so i dont really care about the new laws i just hate how people keep calling me a hoon just cos of my age. i DO agree that people should do it legit and legal and get everything certified and i DO agree that hoons should be stopped but get your facts straight and present them COHERENTLY and stop slinging crap

http://www.eveonline.com/
Old 17-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #42
Ghoru

i d prefer it to ride like a go kart but thats a little impossible to do with a car

Old 17-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #43
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoru View Post
i d prefer it to ride like a go kart but thats a little impossible to do with a car
you should come to a motokana with ryan and take a ride
Old 17-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #44
Ghoru

yeh i happen to like my cars upright lol

Old 17-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #45
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

lol as for rodhog leave the guy alone, hes fuking right(although if properly preloaded the bolts of ANY joint, regardles of how many members are sandwiched in between will not take any shear stress )
i USED to be a hoon when i was younger, and its tru, you just turn 17, u have ur 1st car, u think u know everything and that you are invincible. most 17yr olds in this country have NEVER been i na fight, NEVER been stabbed, NEVER even blead properly and they therefore THINK that they are invincible and that their car with absolutly no safety features apart from a seatbelt and a crap crumple zone is also invincible.
TITANIC sank and it wasnt invincible, althou that was because of glass transition within steel that was unknown about at the time
COMET line of jet liners failed one after another after another because of fatigue due to stress cycles which was also unknown at the time
point is nothing is unbreakable, and most ppl our age (im 21) still cant get their heads around it, and hay guess what we are not ALL hoons, but 30% or so are and they wreck it for the rest of us. it isnt fair, but hey what can we do about it..
and please stop comparing Lexus cars to BMW's the best car toyota makes is the crown, allways has been allways will be, no lexus can compete with it (and not many BMW's either hehe)

Last edited by 70NYD; 17-07-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 17-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #46
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
lol as for rodhog leave the guy alone, hes fuking right(although if properly preloaded the bolts of ANY joint, regardles of how many members are sandwiched in between will not take any shear stress )
i USED to be a hoon when i was younger, and its tru, you just turn 17, u have ur 1st car, u think u know everything and that you are invincible. most 17yr olds in this country have NEVER been i na fight, NEVER been stabbed, NEVER even blead properly and they therefore THINK that they are invincible and that their car with absolutly no safety features apart from a seatbelt and a crap crumple zone is also invincible.
TITANIC sank and it wasnt invincible, althou that was because of glass transition within steel that was unknown about at the time
COMET line of jet liners failed one after another after another because of fatigue due to stress cycles.
point is nothing is unbreakable, and most ppl our age (im 21) still cant get their heads around it, and hay guess what we are not ALL hoons, but 30% or so are and they wreck it for the rest of us. it isnt fair, but hey what can we do about it..
and please stop comparing Lexus cars to BMW's the best car toyota makes is the crown, allways has been allways will be, no lexus can compete with it (and not many BMW's either hehe)
70NYD, you need to look @ posts that rod has done on other sites. He rags & rags & raves he's the best & you know **** etc. He rubbished a mate a mines car bad & I never forgot it, sorry but, I appreciate good members, not big-mouth iliterate jerks!

not to forget, this is a 323 site! Mazda anyway!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 17-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #47
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

well that may be but most of his posts on this site (the only place i know him from) are very helpful. and irrelevant of wether he is a jerk or not in person or on other sites, he gives good valuable info here therefore the reason i defended him..

but still the original statment is BS about calling everyone with lowered cars a hoon, regardless of their age..
Old 17-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #48
NaughtyGT

understood!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 17-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #49
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
No engineering requirements for sway bars, end links, bump stops, steering racks, etc? But they Mr NSW Minister also effect handling?
Old 17-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #50
NaughtyGT

too many cars I see round the roads these days are low, kits hanging off them, barely get over a speed bump without scraping & those ****ing stupid, idiotic, brainless bright-white pathetic excuse for fog lights. FOG LIGHTS! Coming towards you round a corner late @ night. ****ing irritating! There supposed to be illegal, bull****! There everywhere. Inconsiderate wankers blinding everyone trying to see the friggin road. You don't need the ****ing things! Just dickheads posing off. Why don't these issues get delt with. They cause retina burning, headaches & downright give ya the ****s. btw, fog lights used to be low beam, yellow & for er,,,,,,FOG! If these are meant to be spot lights, why do we have high beam? Was good enough in the old days!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 17-07-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 17-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #51
scott b

Car: 2003 Subaru Impreza RS
Send a message via MSN to scott b
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtylilGT View Post
when you've had a car too low & stiff, you think twice that's for sure. A little lower looks great, sure lower still looks mean but, if it drives like a dodgem car, forget it! Be practical, not stupid!
whilst i dont want to get myself into this, im sorry but u said right there basicly what i believe rodhog is saying. "be practical, not stupid". simply, although we already have the rules that the lowest clearance point may be no lower than 100mm, this leaves flaws for many cars on the road. the main example, and it has been mentioned already, utes. whilst im sure there are proper ways of lower hilux's and keeping them safe, most people i know simply use lowering blocks on their leaf springs and plenty cut the springs aswell. all this does is make the car skip across the road, and this is anything but safe. this new rule simply means that for people who want to drop, for example, their hilux on its a$$, they have to do it properly to get it cleared.

personally, i think this law is good. and im an 18 year old P plater living in NSW with a modded car. simply because if you go any lower than 50mm 80% of the time its done with cheap super low king springs and your car is riding on rim. sure i understand that there are also alot of you who lower ur cars a long way, especially for motorsport, and do it the proper way and spend the big money, but i guess you wont have any trouble with getting a certificate to clear it will you. sure this may be just one more cost added to owning a modded car, but sadly they make the rules.

Sure i heavily disagree with the nametag everyone with a modded car and on their P's gets, sadly it is the people who do "hoon" around that give us that, all we can do is live above this and not let it effect you. and yes this may mean we get more targeted by police, but if ur doing the right thing and ur car is legal, then what are they going to do.
Old 17-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #52
NaughtyGT

agree, way too many dicks out there just asking to be picked off yes! btw, it wasn't about this, it was the arrogance! We all have a right to speak without being ragged huh?

a forum is for ideas being jossled around without being ragged by other members. SOME do this too often. This was the point!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 17-07-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 17-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #53
scott b

Car: 2003 Subaru Impreza RS
Send a message via MSN to scott b
very true, the arrogance is unnecesarry,
Old 17-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #54
Ghoru

and i wasnt disagreeing with the law, if it truly is safer then so be it , i was arguing with the fact i was being stereotyped cos of some arrogant know it all

Old 17-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #55
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
No engineering requirements for sway bars, end links, bump stops, steering racks, etc? But they Mr NSW Minister also effect handling?
Ah they do affect handling and there are loop holes no denying that.
But they are also put under 4 different areas. - Wear and tear Maintenance
Suspension changes beyond manufacturer specs. Plus 2 others that I don't know of off top of my head.

OT
As for some people's opinions on my opinion. I put it like this.

I am open for attack. I don't mind it. I have attacked people’s cars I'd like to know whose car so and so is talking about. I don't know which one nor do I care.
I put my view and my experience forward. You have to understand I've been around this area along time. In fact currently my mates R31 Peter - who is part of my 2nd workshop team. Has his car in Boost/zoom because of me talking to them and convincing both to do articles.

I only put strong messages forward to young people because, I know of the disasters. I end up either having owners coming to me to either repair or clear cars quickly. See the internet does not do it for you. It can't pass a car after its defected or it can't find all the little things the inspectors will look at.
I've made a fortune from it in the past. I don't deny it I'm not sorry for it.

I use these forums to remind and get you thinking. Maybe it's not worth putting my life and life savings into a car that is only a Mazda. Remember that’s how the rest of the public see it.
It's great having some cars and wide variety but, if you think it's worth having it all at the expense of other things. I know people who end up living off the baked beans diet, then get the car and 2 weeks latter the most common things.
Either it's blown up in the face due to short cuts - anything from eBay turbo's and cheap tune of engine.

They get done for a burnout - speeding - street racing or similar.

Most common - they get a girl - the balls go and they got nothing yet they want to get married.

Okay one of them is not my problem. But I see it all the time.
I bought a R33 GT-R V-spec for $20,000 when it was half put back and only because he needed money for the wedding. I fixed it right, advertised it for $55,000. I then ran it at 11.3 at WSID. Got booted off for no ANDRA license or something. In them days 11.99 you need license.
Well it sold for $56,000. Remove my costs because I admit I don't work cars any more. Yes I don’t' bother. So in the end I made $12,000.
All of it I enjoyed.

But it's not the only one.
I see so many mistakes made.
So many disappointed owners - plus allot of big mouths talk it up.
But they don't run it at WSID. Or any race track. Why?
Because they don't know they are all rice and all show.

The other side is, I've built cars ground up. The last one my wagon and if you ask rupe he'd by like saying he bought Airflow meters? Yet I run aftermarket engine management.
See I got it legal I needed all original. I have now a car I can drive anywhere and even for me and my experience it's reliable an $800 import FE dohc motor and it's never missed a beat. You know the most annoying thing.
The stupid PWR radiator has a leak. $1450 worth of alloy radiator has a leak.

Another lesson makes sure you ground your alloy radiators correctly. Too much paint on the mounts.

Most owners won't go to my efforts - strip car out leave it for 6 to 9 months with panel beater to clean it up. New rubbers - new parts.
I did all ends from mechanical to body work.

I don't expect anyone to do this. It’s silly in normal set of mind frame especially if you don’t have a stable life setup.

But your fool not to listen to the facts of the matter and that is it's not easy building up a decent car. You might think what would I know. Well IMO when you carry people around in 1990's 626 wagon and they freak at how good it is, and these people don't drive anything older then 2 years old - they live in suburban house - they live on waterfront. It's testament to them to see.

Even at work brand new Mercs die - Wagon goes on.
Reason to why I explain why not to do things or even think you can do the same with out some planning or thought or suffering.
It's the most common failure I see in modded cars is failure from simple things. It's one thing that I really really hate. Reliability and cost cutting. You’re shooting your self in the foot.

I see it at the track all the time. I admit I've turn up in a Ute behind a tilt tray with all sorts on board.
Most of the time it's only because the said car is setup ready to go and afterwards the tray is gone we swap to radials and go home.

What mates me proud of all cars I work on is it's not cheated with. EG real daily driven real weekend driven cars.
All have full stereo's power steer A/C nothing is removed.
Raced and driven that way. Yet they get the time.

I know what you’re thinking well we aren’t all rich or own our own workshops. Have a bag of money to spend.
But I have had that opportunity or at least for a little and seen others do it.

But I still see people waste time on things that won't achieve a goal. Normally because like allot of young people there is no goal.
It's all about being cool - making the car part of me and I'll be popular.
Well in the real world it doesn’t work like that.
I'm hated by people but people still pay me. That is how the real world works.
For you sporting fans look at Willie mason, no one likes him has not performed well but he gets paid.
Ben Cousin that ALF guy such is life - not totally popular - he got paid.
Even Big Barry Hall great player a bit Violent BUT he will still get paid.

On a last note

I don't put everyone into a category of HOON. But the government the media and the General public DO.

This might not surprise you. But I work with current government to work out the transport issues but little with the RTA. but they have team of HOON's I can't say who they are but.
They explain to Rta in reports who what and why, I'm classed as a hoon and in effect anyone who puts wheels on a car is hoon.
The current people are little more in touch and they now have a woman who does studies in the social aspect of it all. Which in general is a lot of it.

In my youth being a car hoon or lover or enthusiast was not in coolness or socially accepted.
Think how lucky you are now it is. To a point,
But that point ends with the general public.

I say this with thought and think about it. You need to rethink your goals and aspects of car modification. In particular in NSW.
Things are changing this whole carbon trading etc will making owning a modded car harder. Especially one with more power as power is fuel.

If you’re not in NSW - Don't worry we will be pass it on. So be prepared, get your paper work right.

Look at what happened in WA - back in the day Jurno's would rip Burnouts at Pie-in the sky, in front of cops. Now the cars are confiscated. Its different world we live in and people need to adjust.

Just as gays were once the minority - Car Hoons or should I say car modifiers are the Minority.

Ps
If you feel I'm attacking you well I'm not sorry but I'm proberly not I'm just saying you have to be smarter and think about why you feel that way.

I'm classed as hoon so are all my mates now who are average age of 35-40.
They dont' care like I don't - Think about why that is ?

Last edited by rodhog; 17-07-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 18-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #56
NaughtyGT

bah.....scare tactics. Fear, CRAP! I don't give a flying **** as to what some gov craps on about what we all need to fear.....

This crap about emissions control & future fuel mileage & how we will all drive little, economic poof cars. You've stated before how we better not modify our cars to much, the big daddy demon gov' will **** us over, huh? baaaaaaah!

Gov always threat. Rod, did you know we were supposed to be a cashless society 15 ****ing years ago? huh? huh? Well, it never happened did it!

I'll keep driving & enjoying my car until it all goes to the crapper. If it does, just like leaded (super) fuel. WE ALL GOT SCARED THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO TAKE OUR OLD CARS TO THE DUMP, CAUSE, UNLEADED WAS COMING IN!....oh oh lets' all get worried.

Still old ****ters running around AS I WRITE!

what's your point???????

Old 18-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #57
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
You want a point

your dreaming of a dump pipe in your Sig and IC - pipeing.

those who are smart will think better.

Understand changes going around them.

Be like me and think instead of being at mid 20's driving around in an old 80's car or even 90's car

Like me they might be driving in a new car. A hybrid - A electric who knows. Own there own house, maybe appartment.

While you will still be worrying where am I going to get a replacment door seal from as it's not longer available.

Young people who think longer term now will be in a better situation in the future.
Not every thing will eventuate, but if oyu prepare and take a 50/50 option your going to be in a better situation then being a Ignorant fool.

Then again - no one quessed for me that after leaving school, I'd be able to drive around in $100K cars at age 23. After all I didn't go to uni.

Or be able to go to myself each morning - What car to drive today ?

you had that option yet by 21 I had 4 working cars all to my name fully insured.

What have you done? My cars history is all over my backyard.
The houses I renovated - I still got Gyprock in the shed. Which you remind me of just Gyprock. Because as you stand around making noise or doing nothing. Your peers will be moving on.
Old 18-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #58
so fresh

Car: 92 astina 323 bg & 01 SP20
i really think we should cut the personal attacks on "mine is bigger than yours"
it just shows that everyone has differant views n opinion (strong views n opinion) on many things that life throws at us and when it comes down to the crunch, its upto ourselves on how to express it in a way thats not offensive,stereotyping or pointing out whos in poverty etc,but express it in a manner of being a friend.

what would JESUS do?
Old 18-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #59
RibZe

Car: BG Astina
I believe people with lowered cars (therefore stiffer suspension one would think) are safer drivers in the respect that they have to watch the road properly or they will damage their cars (pot holes, speed humps, dips etc).

p.s i havent read the replies so if someone said this then i agree with then yadda yadda. Tireddddddd.
Old 18-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #60
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
this thread has turned into a flamefest. yeah rodhog brags a lot but meh, its the internet, you can find people that talk more crap under any e-rock. he provides good info and plenty of entertainment.

at the end of the day its true, this will affect those who cut the corners and dont do the job properly. get the car lowered safely (springs matched to shocks etc) and get it engineered and no problem. we've all seen dodgey jobs, lancers skating across the road & holdens bouncing around from cut springs and over lowering

yes it sucks being branded a hoon because you have wheels/exhaust/stickers, but you should have expected that when you started modifying your car. i fall under the definition of hoon (young driver, modified car, enjoys spirited drives) and i accept this, comes part and parcel of having a modified car. its simple, if you dont like it drive a normal car
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Closed Thread