Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Post BP Supercharged?.

Anyone know about the fitment of a SC14 supercharger on the BP?

People always talking about size and dificulty of fitment in small engine bays but the dimensions stand at this;

31cm long*
15cm wide
25.5cm tall
Weight: 12kg
Displacement 1420cc

Might be better off with an SC12 or if anyone has any suggestions?

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
It's normally bolted onto the intake manifold isn't it? If so, you don't have a lot of room between the engine and firewall, and even less room to run another pulley and belt off the front of the engine. I would think any kind of pulley driven intake system just won't fit under our bonnets. We're actually setup pretty nicely for a turbo application. Plenty of room between the block and the radiator for a turbine, and more room for piping, BOVs, etc above the gearbox.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Only way I could see it working properly would be the way bikingpro5 has done his, low mounted at the front of the block, but you have to remove the A/C with this..
Old 07-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
Only way I could see it working properly would be the way bikingpro5 has done his, low mounted at the front of the block, but you have to remove the A/C with this..
This^

All the stuff designed for a BP engine that would be plug and play is designed for a non trans-axle engine. So all the piping faces the incorrect direction, and the bonnet would contact the edge of the charger closest to the radiator.

So at this stage you look at custom options. Custom increases the bang for your buck figure. Where a turbo setup has very little customization requirements.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The direction of the outlet is good if you are looking for a FMIC, down one side and up the other. The Mazdaspeed supercharger for the NB Mx-5 sits above the exhaust. It clears the bonnet but not the radiator and it also looks narrower than the SC14/SC12 does.
Also the power steering lines would be in the way of the pully so you'd need to change them around as well. Likely custom piping on an Mx-5 pump. Those are the basic physical limitations without talking about ECU tuning.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
SLY 323

I was hoping to get it in place of the AC compressor, but again size limits are horrendous.

Otherwise hunting down a BPT seems like a hard job at the moment becoming so rare.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
himynameisbunny
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 Astina BA
One of those KLDK-Rs plus a Ford Probe/MX6 SC kit?
himynameisbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY 323 View Post
Otherwise hunting down a BPT seems like a hard job at the moment becoming so rare.
Wouldn't bother buying one. Build it from a N/A engine.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
SLY 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
Wouldn't bother buying one. Build it from a N/A engine.

Was thinking that considering I have a spare low km BP in the garage.

Where would I source the turbo from, what injectors to use, obviously a manifold could be custom fabricated along with all the piping. Need for a standalone ECU or just piggyback, or TX3 / GTX/R ECU? Bigger fuel pump, rising rate fuel pressure reg and thats about all the bolt ons.

Ability to run factory compression? BPT pistons possibly lower that?

So many questions I'd be unsure of.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
SLY 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisbunny View Post
One of those KLDK-Rs plus a Ford Probe/MX6 SC kit?
Already sorted one for the missus car hopefully.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
I've got a stock turbo, injectors, stock fmic, stock pistons and rods. (available for sale)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY 323 View Post
Was thinking that considering I have a spare low km BP in the garage.

Where would I source the turbo from, what injectors to use, obviously a manifold could be custom fabricated along with all the piping. Need for a standalone ECU or just piggyback, or TX3 / GTX/R ECU? Bigger fuel pump, rising rate fuel pressure reg and thats about all the bolt ons.

Ability to run factory compression? BPT pistons possibly lower that?

So many questions I'd be unsure of.
really depends on what you want the final product to be. if you are chasing just the regular power, then a n/a motor with some turbo add ones will do the trick. if you wanna start chasing higher power, then you might as well pull down the n/a motor and rebuild it as a turbo motor.

stock ba fuel pump should be fine for a normal bpt. but is doesn't hurt to go bigger. walvro 255s are cheap. injectors are really the simplest part of the jigzaw puzzle. so many sizes and varients that are out there that are suitable. for example RX8 440cc ones can be found for $300 second hand. much better than the stock ones as has four little nozzles versus one big nozzle. post 96 mazda switched to the 4 nozzles type. better fuel atomization make for more power with decrease fuel usage.

exhaust manifold and stock turbo aren't that hard to locate. or if chasing bigger power, custom or there are a few T3/T4 exhaust manifolds out there. radiator clearence will be the issue. manifolds $100-$200, unsure of quality at that price. but know a few mx5ers using them without issues. and crazy cheap no name brand T3/T4s are on ebay for $500.

raising rate fuel pressure regulator??? stock bpt doesn't have one. could probably use the n/a reg (43psi). or buy a stock turbo reg (38.5psi) new for $65. or buy a dual feed fuel rail for $90 and run whatever fuel reg you want.

forged pistons can be had for $400-$800 if chasing higher power.
h-beam rods can be had for $300-$450 if chasing higher power.

the list goes on, and exculding engine management, i've covered the biggest things.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 07-11-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
project.r.racing

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbochar...item1c2cd1c495

just found this, 2 days to go.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Technically your in NSW your BA never had a BPT or equivlant. You can't put an older engine a newer car. Unless it's from SAME series.

It's easier to just tubro your engine can use manifodl etc and you then only have to get it looked over to get majority legal. You can use the whole entire ECU harness from the Tx-3 or other equivlant and as long as you leave all emission connected - working ? well Questionable an engineer will sign it off. Fit V6 brakes and it will pass with out question.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
SLY 323

Cars already having a brake upgrade in a few weeks so thats covered. Should pass with a engineers cert with just a bolt on with standard manifold etc etc.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
really depends on what you want the final product to be. if you are chasing just the regular power, then a n/a motor with some turbo add ones will do the trick. if you wanna start chasing higher power, then you might as well pull down the n/a motor and rebuild it as a turbo motor.

stock ba fuel pump should be fine for a normal bpt. but is doesn't hurt to go bigger. walvro 255s are cheap. injectors are really the simplest part of the jigzaw puzzle. so many sizes and varients that are out there that are suitable. for example RX8 440cc ones can be found for $300 second hand. much better than the stock ones as has four little nozzles versus one big nozzle. post 96 mazda switched to the 4 nozzles type. better fuel atomization make for more power with decrease fuel usage.

exhaust manifold and stock turbo aren't that hard to locate. or if chasing bigger power, custom or there are a few T3/T4 exhaust manifolds out there. radiator clearence will be the issue. manifolds $100-$200, unsure of quality at that price. but know a few mx5ers using them without issues. and crazy cheap no name brand T3/T4s are on ebay for $500.

raising rate fuel pressure regulator??? stock bpt doesn't have one. could probably use the n/a reg (43psi). or buy a stock turbo reg (38.5psi) new for $65. or buy a dual feed fuel rail for $90 and run whatever fuel reg you want.

forged pistons can be had for $400-$800 if chasing higher power.
h-beam rods can be had for $300-$450 if chasing higher power.

the list goes on, and exculding engine management, i've covered the biggest things.
its not that hard to put a BPT into a ba. ryan and myself are doing it now. but im building up me na motor with B6T rods and wiseco pistons. ill be running this with the stock BPT engine loom and stock injectors, and basically stock everything. i do have a mtuned fuel rail that will be going on with the 550cc injectors, and the FPR i have. but that will happen when i get the haltect ecu.

its not that hard to find and enine loom/ecu/injectors/fuelrail.

i have a bpt turbo and dump pipe here that u can have (for a price). just need to source a manifold. if ur looking at going that way let me know via pm....

i also thought about the sc14 supercharger to. i bought one and they are quit big and there isnt really any room for them. unless u get massive extractors. the sc12 isnt much smaller ether. and is only good to 10psi. the sc14 goes to 16pis.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015

Last edited by Mad Mat; 08-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
project.r.racing

also, dont get hung up on the older engine crap. it is a huge misconception that unknowledged people have. it's still a bp engine, then same as the bp engine that is currectly in the car. engine number still starts with BP.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
It depends on YOUR STATE LEGISLATION

In NSW - we have more inteligent people. Or in other words ONE LOOP HOLE Any legal person can **** YOU WITH THEY WILL.

Look I'm not saying do it by the book just be prepared to be ****ED OVER when you **** up. Since the mid 90's I've known guys to have - engines in cars legit - stolen - borrowed etc. Cops did nothing - Insurance ****ED THEM - So hard - well I know one guy went from Apprentice to - Drug mule to Bitch in Maitland before it closed.

Becasue to do a engine swap of numbers legal in NSW. They actually demand a recipt for the engine and what car is came from. Your only hope is when doing the blue slip. the RTA people don't look or ask for that. It use to be easy - but it's not as it once was. Nor are blue slipper- use to be and easy Payment

Engine might start with BP and in fact they normally have a list of items going from one to another. As every engine had chassi attached if someone looks up all the details they can and will use it against you.

The Main issue is now - Your car only has to be screwed once. You take it for EPA inspection. When it gets looked AT. They take photos - Now how do you pass it - by BEING STOCK. I mean STOCK AS A ROCK. They check all hoses noise etc. If you have paid for engineering - it only covers engine swap, new bits. Does not cover any EPA parts or noise or engine management.

If a cop pulls you and it's listed you have already been down to inspect and past. - Here is the good bit. The cops have ligit rteason to belive you have then delibrately made it ILLLEGAL again they can take photos and fine you and charge in front of court.

As much as most and insurance industry say they don't keep files - well they get acess to RTA record with ease. So once you kill a VIn with enough issues you kill that car.

If you think it's all crap.

I was going to put a F2T into my wagon same as all Gd 626 and Mx-6's but my GV wagon which had the same as previous GV wagons all same 2.2Lt. Because the 2.2LT turbo was never sold both during the time of my GV being late series a 92-95. Even though the engine 2.2Lt is exaclty the same to previous 89-91 models. You can't swap it in.
I can use a 2.2lt out of 90 model 626 as long as it's N/A. I use a Fs - I can use a KL even because it's equilant model was sold with it.
but I can turbo the standard 2.2lt. I just can't swap the engine from factory one into it.
Even though I have enough evidence to prooveit's the same chassis car.

if my modle was 1990 model - I could put in a 2.2LT Turbo no issue at all. but becuase it's facelift chassis number change NO.

I've been to engineers about this already. Reason I went import FE DOHC. Comes under different rules.

It's not that you can't just put in a TX-3 motor into it. It can become a minor headache.
why it's always especially in NSW easier to always keep your car rego'd and never change engine numbers.

I'm not saying don't use a different block when you put a rod through it but don't change numbers
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
project.r.racing

A BPT as also manufactured between 2001 and 2003. What to say that the engine didn't come from that? That is a newer engine.

And since we are promoting life experiences, then I have an engine from a 96 model car in my 97 model car. DOT didn't care as it is the same engine.

Poor NSW rules if you cannot chuck a turbo on a car with the allowable power increase rules and get done for having a block engine number older than the car, even though the engine is the same. Up in in sunny QLD, we just enginner it, chuck a turbo mod plate on it, and drive away.

Now I'm not sure if NSW has more intelligent people or not compared to QLD. But hopefully spelling and grammer is part of making a good decision as to with state does have more intelligence.

None of us a RMS approved inspectors/engineers, so it is really up to the OP if he is hard on about doing this to contact one. That way he'll get all the correct facts, and not just hearsay from the two loudest posters.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 09-11-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
SLY 323

From what I know all this jargo of newer or older.

The low k motor I have is from a 97. My car is a 96 so it doesnt matter.
On the other hand prooving how i came upon the motor would prove to be difficult as i bought it as a wreck and have since scrapped it.