I don't like them, wouldn't get these tyres again 0 0%
Wouldn't know, i have something else 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Bridgestone Potenza GIII's

Alright.. i need some new licorice for my wheels and i've been thinking about these tyres..

Who's got them and what are your thoughts?

Cheers
Adam

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport

Last edited by mrpayner; 19-11-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 19-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
i just wanted to vote

nice tread pattern with enough room for the water to run out but the blocks are still chunky enough to give good grip. looks ok to me ... how did you end up deciding on that one?

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 19-11-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
I got them put on my mates sp23. I liked them but I'd still call them 2nd to my Proxies (although its a close second). They seemed to work well in the wet and the dry, but I'm not sure how their wear is. If they start to look good they might become my next tyre, as the wear on the proxies is the only thing I don't like about them. - And yes I know a performance tyre wears faster!!

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
Old 20-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
mrpayner

Well hey, i've got about 3½ years out of my Dunlop Performance FM901's.. That's about 60,000km's on those tyres. I think that's a pretty good run. Rupey had the FM901's on his car too and i think he got pretty good wear on his.

I think i've pretty much settled on the GIII's anyway.. I was considering the Dunlop Direzza DZ101's as well, however they just don't seem to grab my attention like the GIII's do.

AP

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
Old 20-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
SehnKhan

Car: .
Woot, a poll option for me to vote on! My recommendation is to Google something like "Potenza GIII Review" and have a look at what a larger population of people had to say about the tyre. They do look like a good gripping tyre, and I know a few people on FordLaser.com have had them and liked them, so in comparison to your current FM901's I'd say these will perform equally as well, most likely better.

I did the review thing with my current Hankooks... I know a few people who have had them with mixed feeling, but the general consensus was that they are a good wearing tyre if you take proper care of them (i.e - no burnouts etc). It seemed that the larger the tyre spec (i.e - 18" and above) did not cope aswell as their smaller variants.
Old 20-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
mrpayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehnKhan
My recommendation is to Google something like "Potenza GIII Review" ....
You're a smart arse, considering that you just spoke to me about this!

AP

Old 20-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #7
SehnKhan

Car: .
My comments are just as valid to the next person seeking guidance on their tyre purchases as yourself, young padawan!
Old 20-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
mazdamanik

Car: Was an Astina now a Commohore :-(
Send a message via MSN to mazdamanik
personally i wont get anything other than toyo after the ones i got on now....Proxes T1-R's they are just unbelievable
Old 21-11-2005, 01:49 AM   #9
W.A.I.

Car: BA Hardtop
Personally, I love the Yokohama tyres and that's what I had before.
And the tyres I have now are the Regals, which is the South Africa version of Dunlop, and they are pretty average really.
Old 23-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
Dutchy

Car: BG Astina SP Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Dutchy
hey payner

yeah i had these on my other asti and they stick like s#!t to a blanket. in the wet and all and they were only the 185's i cant even imagine how the 205's will stick!!

the only thing id say is that ya will pay for the extra grip in extra wear. i prolly wouldnt expect quite on 60 thou out of a set tho, but i spose it depends how ya treat em...

and on that note i have them on the front of the SP and are prolly gonna get the back matched on next thursday! So yeah im sold.

Jeremy
Old 23-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #11
mrpayner

Where are you getting yours from? I've got mine coming through Bridgestone in Mair Street. $185ea..

AP

Old 23-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #12
Dutchy

Car: BG Astina SP Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Dutchy
yeah the mair street guys will rip u off.

i got my my first set there and they were pretty good service-wise and stuff.
but i went to them again and they were gonna charge heaps more like almost $40 more.

So i went to the bridgestone centre out in Sebas i think its on Hertford St
neways they knocked $15 off each tyre for the exact same ones.

so yeah if ya havent ordered them yet id be goin up there.

Jeremy
Old 25-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #13
nupes

Car: BA '96
:)

I've had them on for about 2 years now, they are pretty good in the wet because of the grooves in the middle and the treadpattern. Sometimes they can be a bit noisy and sometimes they traintrack a little

Racer's Creed

"so close to death I like to get
but so far it aint got the worst of me yet
'cause fast livin' has got me stuck in 5th gear
and takin' it easy is my greatest fear"
Old 26-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #14
mrpayner

Ok i've had them a couple of hours now and i can say that for the most part they're good.. they're quieter than the 901's, feel really grippy and look good..

BUT! Say you're travelling at speeds over 80km/h and just give your wheel a little twitch in one direction and it responds well in the front, but the back-end seems to take forever to get over into the new line. Now i know that the FM901's had a strengthened sidewall, but i'm not sure about these Potenza GIII's.. The FM901's just steered in the right direction straight away.. It's almost like my sway-bar isn't there.

I went and checked the tyre pressures to see if it was just a little spongy [underflated]. The front's were slightly wrong as i usually run the fronts at 38psi but the backs at 36psi were spot on..

It's very perculiar!
AP

Old 26-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #15
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
thats what my tyres(goodyear RS-02) do, also when u go around tight corners fast you can actully feel the side wall flex, feels like in runnin on 75profile tyres when they really are 45's

im runnin 40psi in the front and 38psi in the back to they to compensate it squishyness
Old 27-11-2005, 05:50 AM   #16
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
It's just that the FM901s had really stiff sidewalls.

i found the same thing when i got the Hancooks on the front

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Old 27-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #17
mrpayner

*sigh* Well that's just crap.. Having the GIII's has now brought my confidence right back when i'm cornering.. They may still be alright and still grip as much as the 901's did but it just feels so squirmy. They may let go more gradually and give you more warning than the 901's, but i never had the 901's step out on me anyway so it's going to be a challenge to judge for a while..

I might try inflating them to 40psi up front and 38psi at the rear to see if it'll change much, but i highly doubt it.

AP

Old 27-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #18
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
stupid car tire manufacturers tryin to make performance tires "comfortable", i like my sidewalls as stiff as they come, give you heaps better felling when goin around corners at crazy speeds, well now i can add the GIII's to my list of tyres never to buy
Old 31-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #19
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
u shoulda gotten silverstones pureley because i have them on my car. actually everything u should do to your car should mirror what i have done with my car but dont copy me. id hate that. actually just buy all the same brands as what i have bought. that will be ok.....

:P
Old 31-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #20
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
you dug up an old thread just to say that??

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Closed Thread