Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 17-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
Ian

Car: 1990 R32 GTR
Ians big conversion thread

I figured id make a big thread rather then have lots of little ones all over the shop.

Anyways the latest is I should be buying the frontcut soon. (next week) After that, im waiting on my custom clutch to be finished and from there its just a question of time and labour. Boosted Batman has kindly offered me the use of his block and tackle (much love there man) so hopefuly I should have the car on the road in time for the big cruise in jan.

I'll copy paste the what ill need list so we can let that thread die:

Front cut - sourced and checking it out soon. Buy it within a week if it all go's to plan.

Clutch - Being made up at the moment, custom HD, capable of taking up to 350 HP

Flywheel: Does anyone know a good place to get it machined?

Exhaust - Not yet booked because I dont know what date ill be needing.

Consumables:
Leads: Custom 10.5 mm Leads from QIL
Plugs: Covered.
Belts: not so sure. Need to find out exact lengths etc
Hoses: Not so sure either.
What elese have I missed?

fuel pump: Using the one I got at the moment, however I am considering replacing with a skyrice or commonwhore one as I have heard there good.

Cooler: Using the one in the cut. Im not planing to up the boost ever, as stock is plenty enough for me, and I dont want it breaking.

ECU: Stock

Rubber: Brigestone F1's hopefully. We will see what money is doing after the conversion.

Breaks: Recently redone with new master / slave cylinder, DBA rotors on the front and rotors on the back machined. Lucas pads on all 4 corners that are all fairly new.

Also, as a final note, I would like to give a big thanks to everyone on the forum and in the club. You guys have been a great hand throughout all this and have allowed me to realise which end of the car is the engine and which end the exhaust comes out

Ill use this thread as a log and post questions and problems as I run into them. Hopefully once im finished this thread should contain alot of useful info for anyone elese doing the conversion after me.

Mah Ride!
details

Last edited by Ian; 17-12-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
323kid

Car: nothing atm
just a quik question, how much u paying for the halfcut?
Old 17-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #3
Ian

2 grand

Mah Ride!
details
Old 17-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
For your fuel pump...just get a walbro. They're under $200 and you'll never have to replace it ever again. Easy to fit too.

You should pay $50 or less for a flywheel machine. THe people building your clutch should acutally be doing it for you.
Old 18-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
everything you will need to service the engine will be listed in your manual!

here is what i would be changing :

spark plugs
leads
belts
dizzy o-ring
engine oil
coolant
tranny oil

here is what i would be checking / inspecting for wear :

rocker cover gasket (probably on the replace list due to the fact the engine has probably been sitting in the sun for a while!)
thermostat
main bearings

What i would give a good clean

sump pickup
AFM

ui have been awake for a long time and cant think of anything else ... if you can please add!!

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
Ian

Hmm

I really have to have a chat to you man. (nate)

//edit you got email! (or you will, when I finish typing it)

Mah Ride!
details

Last edited by Ian; 19-12-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 19-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Ian

omg im now the proud owner of a BPT GTX front cut :O

We did about a quater of whats required today... My engine is ready to come out and the new engine rocks up tommrow, at which point I will get to work doing as much as I can to get it ready to come out of the cut.

Other then that, its up to nate when he wants to rock round and help me out :P but since he doesnet have alot of spare time, im not too concerned, and im looking at getting it running by early january.

Ah well, gives me something to do!

Mah Ride!
details
Old 19-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
omg im now the proud owner of a BPT GTX front cut :O

We did about a quater of whats required today... My engine is ready to come out and the new engine rocks up tommrow, at which point I will get to work doing as much as I can to get it ready to come out of the cut.

Other then that, its up to nate when he wants to rock round and help me out :P but since he doesnet have alot of spare time, im not too concerned, and im looking at getting it running by early january.

Ah well, gives me something to do!

rock aroudn and help out? who's doing the helping out ... nah today was good, got everything unpluged, just gotta get those extractors off and undo hte cv's and she will slide straight out

naturally i mad ian get under the car to do undo the hard bolts ... and the stupid car bit me :S

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 19-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #9
Ian

yeah man, my car bights and lookout, it carries as well.

Itll stab you cu*t given the chance...

Mah Ride!
details
Old 21-12-2005, 02:42 AM   #10
Ian

Okey

We got my engine out completly and the gearbox is comming off tommrow, the flywheel is going to direct clutch to get machined and for me to pickup my new clutch, which will prob need tims help to install as I wouldnt know how the fu*k that works.

The frontcut is being delievered at 11 am tommrow, as I paid him the rest of the money tonight.

Now for some photos!

Ride that engine! (Note - optical illusion - no weight was actually on the engine)

its an engine bob!

me, looking not so happy at the prospect of having my photo taken

and me and nate working on something.

Its been fun so far and I have learnt alot about engines and how things work. Also, there has been some funny moments (such as nate killing himself with half a small glass of coke - ease up there big guy :P)

Unfortunatly, as I was bringing the engine up, I didnt notice that the bolt for the aircon pump wasent all the way out and it got caught and bent and munched something cronic. I havent tried to remove it yet and am hopeful I will be able to without too much drama.

Also, the clutch line bolt was rounded despite our best efforts and had to be cut. I will have to get a new clutch line made up by ABS tommrow.

Anyway, im out, a big thanks to nate for all his help so far.

Good night.

//edit
Oh yes, cannot forget

What oil and gearbox oil do people recomend?

Mah Ride!
details

Last edited by Ian; 21-12-2005 at 02:45 AM.
Old 21-12-2005, 04:59 AM   #11
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
naturally i mad ian get under the car to do undo the hard bolts ...
Well now I feel like a terd as thats what I made you do
Then you rounded the nut
Lesson learned
...................Nate doesnt like it on his back
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian

Ride that engine! (Note - optical illusion - no weight was actually on the engine)
The optical illusion of where Nate's hand is, is more disturbing... Not sure it beats the drink bottle incident though?
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
hey guys. nice work. how long did it take to get the engine out. and whats happening with the old 1.
r u going to put it in a gocart. that would be cool but very very inpossible. i was wondering if i can maybe get some parts of the old engine if thats ok with u. thats if u have not trashed it or if u got have other places 4 it.
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #14
323kid

the halfcut you bought for $2000, plz dont tell me it was from Asian Auto Spares in slacks
creek lol

good work btw, keep the photos comming, im gonna do this myself soon too!!
Old 21-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #15
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat
hey guys. nice work. how long did it take to get the engine out. and whats happening with the old 1.
r u going to put it in a gocart. that would be cool but very very inpossible. i was wondering if i can maybe get some parts of the old engine if thats ok with u. thats if u have not trashed it or if u got have other places 4 it.
i have already claimed the old engine and zhaust in exchange for my wrench time however its open for parts ... i just want some bits first .. what are you after?

I THINK I AM N2!
Old 21-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #16
Ian

Yeah

It was from asian auto spares at slacks creek.

Why? Do I have your engine?

Photos:

Get a turbo up ya.

The front cut

The engine

Anyway, tonight we finished with my old car and engine, the ECU ,flywheel and gearbox came out, and I got the radiator and AFM out of the cut. The radiator bit me pretty good, grazing my thumb.

Something to be careful off: When taking the AFM off, do not undo the screws holding in the plug. This is evil. I did it and gently pulled, and it came out with alot of **** attached.

Tim (RedRush) did this when he was installing a pod and pulled it too far and ****ed his AFM. I really hope to god I didnt do that, as I dont think my old AFM is compatible. I didnt pull it out very far at all and the wire thingi was still attached when I put it back in, but if it doesent start, well, that will probobly be why. New AFM's are expensive and I dont wana replace it.

Other then that, tommrow is just work on getting the engine out of the cut, get the flywheel machined and pickup the new clutch. Once the engine is out and on the stand, we will service it and get it ready to go into the car.

//edit
I really really need to know what oil and gearbox oil I should get for my car.

Mah Ride!
details

Last edited by Ian; 22-12-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old 22-12-2005, 12:13 AM   #17
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Bonus Familia badge and strut brace!
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 12:32 AM   #18
Ian

strut brace is useless according to nate, doesent fit the astinas.

The familia badge is going on the front of my car. It wont be lieing either... However it might give away the sleeper effect im after if the person looking at it realizes what there looking at.

Mah Ride!
details
Old 22-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #19
323kid

dam i knew i shoulda put a deposit down
Old 22-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #20
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
i have already claimed the old engine and zhaust in exchange for my wrench time however its open for parts ... i just want some bits first .. what are you after?
all i wanted was the air pipe and air metre aswell. if i need anything else i will pm u.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote