Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 14-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
hairballnick

Car: ralliart colt and 97 astina
97 Astina Cooling/Leak issue

Hey guys! So i bought an Astina (1.8L hatch) and I've had a few issues since purchase.

When it was purchased, early after it threw the hose that connects to the quick-clip on the heater core. Owner said he snapped half of it and just didn't clamp it back properly. So i took the quick clip off and attached hose to the inlet directly.

Next, the hose from the thermo to the top of radiator was leaking at the thermo.
From there i replaced the radiator cap, the thermostat and the top hose.

The top hoses at the wreckers ALL had a soft spot near the thermostat, i found this strange. I got one that wasn't luckily enough.

Just after redoing the coolant today, a smaller hose that goes to the inlet manifold and near the thermostat also spat itself, but one of the clamps wasn't on it for some reason, so i replaced that.

Only just noticed now, but the thermo i did today (put sealant on one side of the gasket, is leaking a little now.

Also, the coolant seems to travel up and down. I know its a 97, but generally most cars I've owned sit at near middle. This sits about 3 to 4mm below middle most of the time. It just seems to want to spit hoses all the time. Never overheats, just not sure what i should try next.

Im thinking temp sensor of some sort.
regards

Nick
hairballnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
IT should sit 1-2mm under horizontal all the time.

If the thermostat is stuck open, even if only a few millimeters, then needle will travel downwards 3-4mm while moving. Then when stationary for a while, travel back up to normal.

p.s. Don't buy second hand hoses. The only hoses you need at are car specific are the rad hoses. The rest can be regular pressure hose cut to correct lengths. Saves a bucket load just buying the regular stuff.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote