Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 21-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
nezha

High Boost Turbo and NOS on B6 Engine

Hi guys, wonder if you can help me. I'm not in Australia and I own a '96 Astina BA. I love this car for the world and refuse to go for a Type R or Evo or WRX. The engine inside is a 1.6L B6 DOHC (not SOHC), I think this is the same engine as a the MX5/Miata/Roadster, how can I verify this? I've done all the usual mods including CAI, sparks/wires, fuel boost valve, open air filter, exhaust manifold and muffler, and in a few weeks I'm putting in a NOS system adding 55hp boost.

I'm looking for a big time power boost ie TURBO, Now what sucks is that I can't legally transplant a B6T/B8/BP Turbo engine in my country. I could if they looked identical... but they don't. If I did it anyway, and they found out somehow I could lose my ride. The funny thing is, of they catch me with a turbo on my original engine it will cost me max a thousand bucks in fines and labour, as its considered an exhaust mod. I'm willing to take this risk.

I need your expert advice on these questions:

1) I can stay totally legal, rebuild my engine NA and use forged pistons, increasing displacement. TODA used to have a stroker set, but now only sells parts like pistons, gaskets and cams. Or I could forge custom ones. Check out http://www.tdi-plc.com/todamx5.html. and http://<a href="http://www.todaracin...index.html</a> This will cost loads around $3-5k for a small displacement/compression ratio increase, and I'm not sure how many more horses this will give me. Not to keen on high lift cams coz of the jerky low RPMs. What else can be done to give drastic performance boost and keep it NA?

2) For around $3k I can put in a low boost, new/piggyback ECU, and not have change anything to my engine. But will my engine be able to take the low boost and NOS? In any case, 140-150hp like the one provided by the B6T engine is FAR from enough!

3) I wanna go for at least the high boost to hit >200hp, but I have no idea what this will mean in terms of strengthening the internals of my engines. New piston rings, cams, con rods, gaskets enough? And coupling this with my NOS system, this is where I need the most advice. I have no idea what this will cost me.

What are your views?
nezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-02-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I'm probably adding 2 and 2 to get 5 but how about using a supercharger with mild cams ?
Original engine with no exhaust mods
Old 21-02-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
You have boost on the brain mate. Every sentence has boost in it.
Low boost ecu and high boost N/A funny. Am surprised NOS is legal
but the turbo's aren't. Anyway the internals of the Miata B6 and the
FWD B6 are the same. You can get pistons, cams etc from a miata
will work. Go to www.solomiata.com and read about how he has modified
his miata.

Regards

Mal