Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 23-09-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Abaddon36

Send a message via MSN to Abaddon36
Engine Swap

I am running a '92 323 Astina with a 1.6 SOHC engine. I am thinking of putting in a Centrifugal Supercharger to the stock engine. I would prefer to put in a new engine, preferable a 1.8 DOHC engine and either super charge or turbo then, problem. no clue what engine would fit or how to go about it.
I chose charger for higher performance low end and lack of room for a Turbo.

Any suggestions on what engine to look for?

Also the power increase would reak havok on my gears, what would be the best way to strengthen them. i am thinking of a replacement with something stronger but no idea on prices.
Abaddon36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-09-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
GrimReaper

Send a message via MSN to GrimReaper
hmmm..... buy a GTX og GTR engine, it bolts right on your mounts i think, and
buy a DOCH-GT gearbox to handle the power.
make sure the engine comes with the GTR-cluch....
supercharge-converting a 1.6 SOCH is no good. you`ll crush the interior parts of the engine, cluch will slip, and destroy the gearbox.

grim

det er ikke farten som dreper, men smellet, or as the americans say, its not the fart that kills, but the smell.....
GrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
TurboMazda and ROBO8E both have turbo charged BGs. Turbos is a custom job on the 1.8 BP motor and Robs is a BPT replacement (Correct me if im wrong Rob).

Easiest option is to go with the BPT replacement if you want turbo. It will bolt straight up to your SOHC gearbox. Engine mounts should be the same. You will need an uprated clutch, Daikin or Jim Berry have been used sucesfully. Search the forums for more information.

I have a 1.8 BP motor sitting in a workshop if you want to do a custom job like Turbo or just want to upgrade to a DOHC motor. Would be good for rebuild as its done 150K and needs a new water pump. No wiring loom but can supply NA ecu.
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
GrimReaper

Send a message via MSN to GrimReaper
Quote:
It will bolt straight up to your SOHC gearbox. Engine mounts should be the same. You will need an uprated clutch, Daikin or Jim Berry have been used sucesfully.
huh????
is the SOCH gearbox strong enough to handle the GTR power???? :shock:
where can i get those cluches? cost?

btw, engine names...
GTX: BPT?
GTR: BPT "big turbo"?

det er ikke farten som dreper, men smellet, or as the americans say, its not the fart that kills, but the smell.....
GrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote