Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 08-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
essjayyell

Car: BA Astina
Sports exhaust on BA astina 1.8

I've noticed that many cars, including BA astinas, crx's and civics have a really weird sound when people have bigger exhaust fitted. The only way i can describe it is that they seem to echo..and basically sound like a fart or something. Does anyone know what I mean? Because I want to get a new exhaust on my 94 BA and I dont want it to sound bad.

I've been told they sometimes sound like that if you have a 2" exhaust for example, and then go and put a huge 5" muffler on and it basically acts like a trumpet and gives it that strange sound. Any ideas?
essjayyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
as you said, it's all dependant on the muffler - the bigger the tip/the bigger the muffler, the louder it's going to be, as it does act exactly like a trumpet. Even a big tip on the standard muffler will make your car a lot 'fartier' at higher revs (as i discovered aaages ago).

only way to combat that is to go turbo

a lot of the problem is that many of the 'cannon' mufflers have very little actual deadening inside them - they'remade for higher performance cars which require a free-er flowing exhaust.

Remus seem to be a good choice - they look good and are fairly quiet

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:12 PM   #3
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
What Wrecht is extremely true, I've got a 97 in the same model, the BA's came out with Multipoint Fuel Injection, so at 3200rpm all the secondries open up and it sound like the fart you suggested.

I originally had a system with extractors, 2.25inch piping, straight thru muffler with 5inch tip, way too load and sounded like a fart.

I changed to a muffler that only had a slight bent in the inturnals of the muffler and 4inch tip, 1/2 the sound and doesn't sound like a fart machine now.

But would be best to talk to the muffler/exhaust shop 1st about it, they know best!
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
essjayyell

thanks for that info. a mate of mine just came around to show me his silvia with his new sr20det and he got a new exhaust with a new cannon and offered me his old one for $50..almost bought it, but i think i'll go have a chat to the local exhaust man before i do anything
Old 08-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
project.r.racing

Good thinking dude, glad I could help. Plus cannons r a bit to fit too, they gotta cut tow hooks off at the back. I'll try to fing out what mine is for you ok.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
essjayyell

I went down to 'the muffler man' here in Tamworth. The guy said he could do a 2" sports exhaust for $220, and he'd choose a tip to suit it, or I could choose one which may cost a bit more. He was really helpful, and seemed like a nice guy. he told me that if I didn't like the sound he'd keep working on it until I was happy - at no extra cost. That seems pretty good to me.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
yeah its wierd, Mr payner had a whole lot of grief when doing his system he has heaps of resonators etc to get the noise down. i have nothing but extractors, 2.25 piping, hi flo cat and theos old lukey muffler (thanx theo) and ive had people say my exaust sounds too tinny! i personally think its nice. very coumfy in the cabin.

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:54 PM   #8
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Yes.. Mike is right, I'm on my 3rd muffler..

You Mr Muff Man mustn't have worked on Astina's before, the standard system is 2" all the way through.. 2¼" is a sensible increase and with a good muffler you won't lose too much back pressure.. I am currently running a Walker muffler [made by Lukey] and it's not too bad, just a little loud in the cabin at 110km/h on the freeway for the first 30mins of the trip.. If he's willing to work on it until you're happy, then by all means don't stop until you are happy. Keep in mind that you may drive away thinking "this sounds F'ing awesome", but maybe a week later you're thinking "****, i hate this bloody noise".. so if you like quiet.. get it quiet to begin with..

Some people recommending getting a hot dog [resonator] put into the system no greater than 1 foot [12 inches] from the catalytic converter.. I'm not sure if this is true or just myth, but apparently it cuts down on the noise if a resonator is placed within 12 inches of the cat..

A 2" system with a good muffler probably won't give you that much of an increase but it might sound good.. In the end it's all up to you.

Oh.. and choose a tip that you want.. Preferrably stainless steel, as then you won't get flakes coming off like on those ****ty chrome ones..

Regards
Adam

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #9
project.r.racing

sounds like a good deal, but it musn't include extractors for that price thou. you should get them, but make sure that if you go a 2.25in system that the outlet on the extrators is 2.25 in too, some companys only do 2inches.

and yes, get a stainlees steel tip, you don't want to pay for a new tip in 6-12 months cos the old one has flaked apart.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #10
GrimReaper

Send a message via MSN to GrimReaper
MAN, i hate the fartcan-sound when a 1,4 civic or del sol go by!
no use sounding fast, when grandmas volvo outruns it! :P

i got the laser deeptone exhaust for my car.
oooh, sounds nice!

check out
http://www.laser-jama.nl/uk/Main.html
go products-->deeptone

det er ikke farten som dreper, men smellet, or as the americans say, its not the fart that kills, but the smell.....
GrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #11
joe_mazda

Loud is best

Only on a 1.8 and above though, eh guys

And of course you have to have the popin and bangin sound 8) 8)
joe_mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:57 PM   #12
GrimReaper

Quote:
Loud is best

well, i partially agree with u joe. :|

but theres a difference between loud and farting loud!
the 2" to 5"mufflertips config makes the car sound like its burping and farting at the same time.
my car isnt exactly quiet, but the sound is completely different. deep, dark, grawling....

--------

grim

det er ikke farten som dreper, men smellet, or as the americans say, its not the fart that kills, but the smell.....
Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 PM   #13
-BraXta-
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Honda Accord Euro
Send a message via ICQ to -BraXta- Send a message via MSN to -BraXta-
lol im reading this and going... err is my exaust alright..

I got a 2 1/4 through .. and also got a twin tip on the end ...

Now...

it has 3 resonators...

and the tip end is curved over..

----, like so....
___,

so it give like a wooooo noise.. but its also a nice rumble.. not a tinny buzzy noise... i described the noise i wanted to the muffler guy i went to and he got it to that =D

but the tip he didnt give me i went out lookin for it.. and yeh... it was from another joint and they said nuttin bout back pressure and **** like that so i was wonderin ... how can ya tell if its alright or ****ed.. cause im stumped bout it .. =P

My New Ride =P

-I turn Dreams into reality with a F#$% you mentality...
-BraXta- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:21 AM   #14
project.r.racing

stand behind your car amd get someone to rev it up for you. 4500rpm. Listen to the way it sounds, note any pops/crackles/smoooes sounds.

Mine pops/crackles a little, the best exhaust will do this, but you don't want too much. Just a little as the driver comes of the GO PEDAL.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #15
Mizda_Mazda
AstinaGT Regular

Car: ...
Send a message via MSN to Mizda_Mazda
maybe the noise it because they've only got a huge ass muffler on standard piping... 2.5" piping on my mate's civic made the pitch sound heaps lower than just having a 5" cannon.

I'm not really sure what noise your taking about. A turbo acts as a muffler and most of the time, turbo cars should be more quiter than n/a cars. Plus if you do your exhaust to maximise on performance it should sound like a Rally Car.
Mizda_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #16
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
The best exhaust is the kind that 'Gives Your Kids the Energy they Need to Make it Through the Day' :

Old 12-10-2004, 08:17 PM   #17
GrimReaper

hehehheheheheh!!!!!! :lol:

Old 12-10-2004, 08:46 PM   #18
project.r.racing

now that's funny :lol:
Old 12-10-2004, 08:50 PM   #19
GrimReaper

i saw a little clip on the net, where they took a male in his prime( 25 yrs), and a little kid, about 5 yrs old.

they ate the same, drank the same, and the adult had to do anything the kid did! when the kid ran(, and u know,. they ALWAYS RUN), the adult had to run, when the kid was climbing the sofa , the adult had to, and so on. ... and everything was adapted, so the adult had to climb as high ad the kid have to do to get on to a couch and so on....

the adult was completely exhausted after a few hours!!!!