Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Technology + Gaming

Old 31-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Anyone on here have an iPhone???

Hey guys,

As the topic reads, just wanting to see if any peeps on AGT have an iPhone.

Why? A couple months ago I kind of left my N95 on the roof of my car, left my parents place, lost it in transit back to my place (15kms away), realised I had lost it, reported it missing with optus & the police, then eventually got a call the day after saying that someone had found it... at the bottom of our street!

Now that I have that story out, im weighing up the options to either just pay the $100 excess and get a new N95i (non 8GB version) and get an iPod touch, or to pay out the rest of contract (7months) & go and get me an iPhone.

Here's the catch, it will cost me $330 to pay out my existing contract, and put me on a new 79 cap with Optus... which includes 500mb of downloads/month... Now i have heard some shocker stories with people going wayy over that figure and paying big $$$ for monthly bills, something I do not want...

My other option is that I can downgrade my existing plan (which is also $79, and I hardly use $100 of $550 I get allocated a month) to a $49 cap, and get myself one of the internet bundles for $19 (which gives me 500mb/mth downloads).

SO a re-cap:

Either:

Pay $330 and get out of contract & get new iPhone

Or:

Pay $100 excess, get new N95i, go from $79 to $49 cap, and also get $19 internet bundle & get new iTouch

Cheers for people that understand all that writing

Marc
Old 31-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
The latter its cheaper.

That or just buy an iphone and get a plan.
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
marcs_sp20

Thats where the $330 exit fee comes into play...

I just want to hear if its really worth the hype...
Old 31-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
It's really not. At least four of my friends have one, and they're constantly complaining about the iPhone's crap battery life, random drop-outs, and other stuff. On the other hand my sister has one and it suits her needs just fine. From what I can tell, it's great for playing music, and for its gps if you'd use it, but god forbid if you actually want to call or message someone with the thing...
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussing View Post
It's really not. At least four of my friends have one, and they're constantly complaining about the iPhone's crap battery life, random drop-outs, and other stuff. On the other hand my sister has one and it suits her needs just fine. From what I can tell, it's great for playing music, and for its gps if you'd use it, but god forbid if you actually want to call or message someone with the thing...
same situation with my friends. great for email/web browsing and media, but ****e as a phone

unless you really want the media functions, a normal phone will suit you fine
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
heard the new HTC are better than the iPhones...thats what im gonna look at getting next
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
I have a Blackberry 8100 Pearl and it's great for standard phone use, internet, and music. It came second behind the iPhone as a good phone to have for music in a review I read recently. I just picked up an 8Gb MicroSD card to stick in it, and when they get cheaper I'll grab a 16Gb. I got the phone for free though, so I have no idea how much they go for retail...
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
i have a iphone, to me its great, only thing missing is the video recordability and camera is only 2mp, which wasa downgrade from my samsungs u700 3.2mp.. but the thing is iphone is a smart phone that cant send a MMS, but there still isnt anything on the market that even remotly matches its touch capability and interactions and speed and 3.5" screen.. like new samsung touch phones the supposed iphone killers.. my gfs sister has one and its rather slow, but camera is 5mp so thats good. HTC has windows for mobile, i dunno but IMO that does not sound that fast iphone and ipod touch do lack the disk ussage mode, so unless you have a crap load of music, dont go for the 16gb its not worth it.. iphone is essentually a ipod touch with a mike and loudspeaker and sim.. the gps is great and FREE unlike some other phones.. in the time i had it it has never froze on me and the battery is great.. only time it ever ran out on me was on the Oz day cruise, and thats cus it wasnt charged for 2 days and i was using GPS on it constantly. it cannot store .PDF or .DOC but is a great gadget and there are pleaty of apps for it half of which are free and entertaining and most of all the interface is really user friendly but the apples DMR protection is very anal.. so yeah thats my 2c.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
marcs_sp20

Woah, cheers for the huge response tony.

See, with the N95, I have a 5MP camera, MMS and can save .pdf & .doc files... SO im prolly better off just paying the excess & getting an iTouch...

what do u guys think?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
schwinn

Car: Astina BA11F1
Video recordability and MMS can be overcome by applications.

I'm not an iphone owner myself, but from my colleagues who are mad about them I've seen them jailbreak the phones to get MMS and video record capability. The GUI is the most impressive, and the available applications for it utilising its 2 finger touch are what sets it apart from other smartphones. Even the Nokia Express Music 5800 which recently launched does NOT have the sensitivity of the iPhone's touch screen.

As for browsing, I guess you could occupy yourself on the train/tram/bus, as well as watch videos which is what most owners do. Myself, I don't like surfing on a screen that old. GPS imho is only great if you can get turn by turn instruction and live direction recalculation, and don't quote me on this but there should be some apps out there that allow this.

In conclusion, I'd say that the iPhone on its own is nothing to shout about, but the apps that are made for it are 'cool' and quite functional. However that said, they ARE an additional cost from the phone, and unless you jailbreak your phone to install the apps for free, you will be forking out a tidy sum to get it functioning the way u want.

If I had the cash I'd get it, it's something that will keep me entertained, I'd be watching my videos and playing games while on public transport, maybe surfing the web if I have to wait for the missus shopping etc.

But yeah additional costs may come into play.
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
as for OFFICIAL apps there are apps for MMS and for Video, but they cost around $30 together.. jailbraking the iphone is great in the sence that many themes, ringtones and truly great free apps can be used. but if anyone here does it id just caution you that IF you jailbrake it and IF lets say ur battery stuffs up, u might as well say bye to it, cus warranty is void if its jailbroken and u need the battery and the rest of the phone functioning fully to get it back to stock and warranty friendly..
yea marc imo keep the 95, its a great phone, 4 of my mates at uni have it and its quite amazing. however if you want to get a touch (phone or pod) invest in a nice case for it as the shini black/white back scratches easily i got myn of.. gues where.. EBAY hehe
Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #12
marcs_sp20

Yeah, I at least want something that If I do hack it, I can fix it... stupid apple

Its been settled, I just updated my info with optus, now on a $59 cap & with a $14.95 internet bundle. Im prolly gonna pay the money order 2moro so I can atleast get my new N95, then waiting time for Krudd's money for an iTouch.

Haha, Ebay, my second home!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
The new 3.0 update has MMS and a heap of of other stuff.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/a...iphone-os-3-0/
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/l...preview-event/

A few mates that loved their HTCs are now apple converts due to ease of use and lack of lag time in actually using the phone

When 3.0 is released i'll probably get one.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #14
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
I can't believe its taken Apple so long to add COPY & PASTE !

I don't have an iPhone but working in IT I have a lot of contact with people that do. I've heard lots of complaints of Apple's hardware failing - not just with the iPhone but with their macbooks too. The desktop's aren't so bad but the mini mac can be.

My MacBook Pro is only a year or so old and already has had one failed hard drive and is often running at 80degrees plus because its too "pretty" to have a proper ventilation system.

Remember that a lot of the apps on the iPhone are also available on Windows Mobile.

WHy not try the new Google Android mobile ?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatchback
A friend of mine managed to get the new Google phone imported from the US for a measly 450 bucks apparently. The phone seems alrite from the couple of minutes I was playing with it. Its got a nice interface and a keyboard which is always good. My only complaint about it is that its kinda ugly LOL.

When I was deciding on what phone to get - either Samsung i900 or iPhone - i ended up getting the i900 only due to the fact that it can use TomTom and it has a flashlight. But I must say the iPhone is a pretty great phone cuz Apps are really easy to download and it has a good fun factor whereas my i900 runs Windows and is borriiinnnnggggg
phly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Dogo im yet to have any problems with my mac book
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #17
gtarone
w3rd.

Car: '01 Nissan 200sx S15
Hidden secret:
¡ɥɔnoʇı ʇǝƃ 'ɐıʞou oƃ

Then you too can be as cool as I.
But seriously, there is nothing, and i mean nothing as fast as an iTouch full of your music, scrolling though it and playing it at a moments notice. I do it when i'm driving all the time. Try change the CD in your car, or scroll through your mp3s on your head unit that fast ya ginga ninja! iTouch with headunit audio input for the win, insane clarity in 5.1 surround sound too. I'll train you my young apprentice...
˙˙˙noʎ ɥʇıʍ ǝq ɥɔnoʇı ǝɥʇ ʎɐɯ
Steve.

PS: The upside text is something youtube.com slammed out today for April Fools. You can make your own here.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #18
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
wft how did u do that writting lol... is so different but not l33t

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
gtarone
w3rd.

Car: '01 Nissan 200sx S15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
wft how did u do that writting lol... is so different but not l33t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice88 View Post
I KnOw Ri9Ht
m4d l33t:
Change your Interface Language on Google to Hacker. Turns everything r4d.

˙pɹ3ʍ
Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtarone View Post
m4d l33t:
Change your Interface Language on Google to Hacker. Turns everything r4d.

˙pɹ3ʍ
i just done it on the bosses computer...glad i new how to change it back hahah else he would of been screwed...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote