Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 26-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Trev323

Car: Car
New 1994 BA Owner

Hi guys. Dont know if this is the right thread for introductions but it seems the most suitable. Just bought a 1994 P1 Astina as a daily driver but I'm loving it already and hopefully I will keep it reasonably stock. Picked her up with less than 100,000kms on the clock but the previous owner (lady owner) didn't service it regularly so i've got a feeling it has alot of gunk build up in the sump. I've already got a loud tapping sound which i'm sure is the HLA. Timing belt also needs to be changed so going to drop it off at the mechanic's soon so he can clean it up properly. I am quite handy with tools but it seems like alot of work for a car i'm not familar with so better leave it to the pros and do the oil changes myself afterwards.

Anyway I've got a few questions that I've tried to search for but haven't come up any answers yet so please bear with me.

1) My rear wiper sprayer isn't spraying any water. I've checked the washer bottle in the engine bay and topped it up w/o luck. I hope its not running off a seperate water bottle cos i've already checked the boot.

2) The electric antenna wont go up by itself but the motor is running. Maybe the mast is detached from the motor? If I need a new mast, can I just get a generic one or are there specific types I should look for?

3) No onto car audio. I plan to install my Alpine CDA-7894 and use a wiring harness to elimate all the cutting. The only one i think will fit is this one APP8ALPH. Anyone got Alpine H/U installed?

4) I've got an old pair of Focal 6.5" splits I want to install. I dont think i'll have problems fitting them in the front doors but has anyone had problems with focals? The mounting depth seems to be alot more than the newer 6.5".

Thats all for now guys. Thanks for all the resources so far. Its great getting a car which has such a huge following.

Cheers
Trev.
Trev323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 26-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
nice one mate. what colors your car? where are you from?

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
mike_d87
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina
do hardtops have rear wipers??
mike_d87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
CityEnd

Car: .
hey trev welcome to the club, looks like you got a great buy there

mike, he never mention he owned a hardtop, it's got to be a hatch
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 12:39 AM   #5
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Check all the hoses right through to the boot, you'll probably find that it's either dis-conneted somewhere or blocked with gunk. That should be easy.

Antenas cost a small fortune for mazda, lucky u came here though. Quiet a few people round here have spare ones going cheap so look at the for sale threads.

Your stock speakers are 5x7 front doors, not sure what the go in the hatches is, but hardtop rears are 6x9. Lots have stuck in 6 1/2 splits up front, just have to custom make some mounts. Again, check out the forums, whatever u want to do has already been done by someone here so again.... look around the tech threads.

Lastly, welcome to AstinaGT, well done with your new ride. Sound like a good buy, don't be driving for too long on a 12 year old timing belt. In fact, don't drive anywhere on a 12 year old timing belt. If u do have to, take it real easy.

Hope this helps. Good luck bud.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
hey man! welcome!!

i have a bg astina (1989-1994 with popups) and the rear sprayer doesnt work well like yours-but i found if i held the switch on the wiper arm long enough (that puts water on the back screen) say for 10 secs, eventually it would spray-not realy sure why-faulty connection? blockage? i dunno

do u have a hatch? is it 2.0 V6 or 1.8?
MAztinA 323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
Trev323

Thanks for the replies guys, i'm in Melb.

Its a 1.8 hatch....I've always had a soft spot for the hatch. Mines gun metal grey. Its a less common colour and i must say it wasn't my first preference but I dont regret it cos its starting to grow on me. Did they ever bring out the hatch in black? Since its a daily driver I didn't want to get a 2.0 cos they seem to guzzle alot of fuel.

Where abouts does the hose run in the boot? I finish work late so its always dark and I dont have good lights in the garage?

Btw whats the average fuel economy? I've put in 91RON and the way its going i'll prob end up with 500kms? I was expecting bit more to be honest. Prob just needs a tune.

Last edited by Trev323; 27-05-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 27-05-2006, 01:11 AM   #8
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
500ks from 40 odd litres? out of an unserviced untuned 100k/12 year old engine and you're complaining? Sheesh!
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 02:22 AM   #9
CityEnd

Car: .
yeah the hatch came in black, but not in australia, so u can only get a black hatch if it was jdm or re-sprayed.

and in terms of you finishing work late, lucky you got a p1(series 1). u will notice u have a light in the glove box and some door lights also, which isn't avilable in the other series
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #10
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
rear sprayer - there is a water bottle in the rear also, back right under some plastic paneling, look for a water spray sign under there.

antenna - only new = big $$$

alpine HU - gonna have to cut as new wiring harnesses are designed to only current cars made

focal 6.5 splits, will fit with a backing plate made and some of the back of the door trip removed

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Hi and welcome to the forum..

Yes there is a tank in the boot.. on the driver side..

Hope you find some useful info on here.

Regards
Adam

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #12
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Welcome!

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
Trev323

Thanks for the replies guys. Your help is much appreciated. Right now the mini beast is sitting out the back cos its waiting to go into the mechanic. Cant wait its in tip top condition.

Cheers.
Old 31-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
welcome to the forums and good luck with your ride.

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #15
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
hehe nice man. which bit of melbourne are ya from??

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #16
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
You can get a replacement mast for the aeriel
may not be for that specific model but I fixed mine for cheap and you only need to put a small stop clip on the bottom of the mast so it makes it the right height
Welcome
And for the record you may find after a few tanks your car really doesn't like no frills unleaded
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #17
Trev323

I'm in the SE near knox.

I checked the manual and it didn't say there was a bottle in the back of the car....dunno what type of manual its supposed to be!

Right now i'm running shell 91RON just cos i have the discount vouchers. Haven't noticed anything bad about it yet but once i get it serviced and the ticking is gone then i'll give it a bit to see how she goes. I wouldn't consider putting in 98RON stuff cos it'd defeat the purpose of me getting a daily driver.