Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Queensland

Old 29-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
Question stock air intake?

hey idoes anyone know wat the thing is attatched to the airflow meter is,and wat it does?im looking at getting a pod filter,but im will have to remove this thing or run a pipe down to the front bumper (which would probably be better) anyways can anyone tell me wat it does and would replecing it with a pod filter be better?
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
If it's the funny square bulge, leave it there, it actually gives you power. Talk to Nate about it...

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
it gives you more power you are better off running a proper cold air feed to your stock air box and replacing your filter with a high performance K&N one which will save you money ni the long run as it is washable andyou dont have to keep replacing it like you stock one!

why more power? pod filters, unless enclosed in a proper box, suckwarm air from your engine bay, and altough have a better flow rate are sucking warm air resulting in a negative effect ... i now i have tired

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
The hot air thing doesn't rob power, I've test SRI vs CAI on the dyno, engine temp goes up, but only the AFR suffered. Which is loss of economy...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
ok sweet thanx
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
gav is does rob power.

the dyno adjusts for that air temp so that if the air was a lot lower on the next dyno day it gives the same results.

in real world conditions, and if the dyno didnt adjust for air temp, you would have a good amount less power.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Raven

Car: A holden, but going back to Mazda soon.
Send a message via MSN to Raven
I took the air box out of mine refited the air flow sensor and put a pod filter onto it, sounds much nicer and I got a bit more power just out of the air flow. I had a pipe running from the nose but due to all the dust on the dirt road i am on i have taken it off the end of the pod filter for now to reduce the crap(<-- technical word) getting sucked up. Less having to wash and re oil the pod filter.