Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 13-02-2004, 05:05 PM   #1
CityEnd

Car: .
reasons why an astina is better then a corolla?

ok my friend is looking for a car and is currently interested in the current model corolla hatch.

can any of u help me persuade her into get an astina instead?

actually, i know this isn't the right place to ask, but i want an UNbias comparassion, which car does better in which section and stuff, pros and cons.
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
astina good

corolla bad

lol

its biased but uncovers some very obvious pros and cons associated with the two models

:lol:
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Re-sale value and the availability of recent 2nd hand models.
Most people recycle their toyotas every 2-3 years, Mazda owners hold onto them for 4-6 years.
What is the price of a '96 Astina
What is the price of a '96 Corolla
Old 14-02-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
All of my mates who have there licences drive toyotas ... yep every single one, ranging from corolla to celica and even an MR2. In the short of it the astina out drags, out handles and out brakes every single one of them. But saying that it depends wot your friend is after, i find that the astina has a very nice gear box (unlike the 'clunky' toyota box) and the astina is a bit more out there in the styling. The mazdas seem like more of a sport car than toyota so they are a lot more fun (for me to drive). But in the end it comes down to taste, they are both very strong cars that will run forever.

Nate

PS - PICK THE ASTINA - PICK THE ASTINA - PICK THE ASTINA -
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
driver101

The size of Nate's head

Ok... firstly... as the ONLY person in our group to have flogged EVERY car in our group (u know who I am)... I would like to start by saying that I’m the only one in the position capable of commenting on all the cars... yes... u've driven the MR2 a total of 400m... and yes... u most of the time know wot ur about... but ur nightly wet dreams with a family car with a loud exhaust, sunroof, and fancy compression... really is clouding ur view of this whole matter! I am unbiased (I don't even like Toyota’s... I drive one cause it was given to me) and I have by far the greatest knowledge of cars and their limits... having raced everything from a 1980 KE 55 Corolla to a rally prepared Subaru WRX...

OK... firstly our group owns these cars... 1994 Daihatsu Charade (u'd stop laughing now if u knew the first thing about it); 1980 KE55 Toyota Corolla (yep that's a **** box alright.. beaten silly by the equivalent Holden Gemini of its time); 1984 Toyota MR2 Mk1 (Looks like a Lego car but goes like a bat outta hell... with stock corolla underpinnings); 1986 Toyota Celica (An original looking car until Mazda stole its looks for the Astina anyway); 1990 Toyota Corolla (By far the best carbie engine of the lot... if not just purely old school); 1991 Toyota Celica (Actually I haven't driven this one... its the latest addition... but still looks and rides really well... even as a passenger).

Granted the Astina looks and sounds really phat with its mags and exhaust (neither of which were standard anyway) but can't repress the fact that the Astina is a family car with bolt on fancy mods... like power windows that don't work and a sunroof that leaks... Next... if I attached the exact same rims and rolling stock to my G200 charade it would by far out handle the Astina even more than it does now... yeah... I didn't know wot understeer was until I drove the Astina... the Charade has identical suspension to the almighty WRX... right down to the passive rear steering thanks to a trick rear sway bar... and believe me... they handle same allowing for the charade's **** rubber... remember... I’ve driven both! And as for my 44kW 1980 Corolla... I beat u off the line for the first three car lengths! But spec for spec its still nothing special... rear trailing arms... wtf... 1970 Holden Commodore technology... wake up to the world of multi link... think Daihatsu Charade, Subaru Impreza's, and every other car know for its handling! As for the engine...

Compression of 9.0 to 1... wtf... and 92kW... the DeTomaso Charade has a 1.6L and puts out same... from an engine that is far more rev happy and reliable... I once drove one without radiator fluid for 20k's and got away with it! And the compression... (Quoted from http://www.astinagt.com/techcorner.html) is the same as my 1980 Toyota Corolla! Rather dismal for a car your trying to claim is a sports car that is a lot of fun to drive... even though you've driven nothing else to compare it to!!! So then how would u know about the gearshifts then? And as for out braking turn it up... and where'd u pull 'clunky from?

The Astina has a very nice gearbox... compared to wot? Your Holden Barina... geez mate... ur a hell of a motoring journo now! No... regardless of the gearshift... it’s still a very difficult car to heel and toe in... not that that's your main priority in a family car! The Celica is a touring car... and the Corolla is a cheap run around car... yet the Astina in all essence of sports is not better than either of them! Personally if ya want a car that is all of the above... a sports car... a tourer... and a great family car... buy an Impreza... that's wot I’m doing... and if any of bogans wanna start an Impreza vs. Astina discussion... I'll take you guys to the grave...
driver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Ok the Astina is crap and the Charade is king but not a shadow on the Impreza.....

What about the Toyota Corolla (as the topic sugested)?
Old 14-02-2004, 07:09 PM   #7
DunkyMonkey

Car: SP20 Skyactive
Send a message via MSN to DunkyMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to DunkyMonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
All of my mates who have there licences drive toyotas ... yep every single one, ranging from corolla to celica and even an MR2. In the short of it the astina out drags, out handles and out brakes every single one of them. But saying that it depends wot your friend is after, i find that the astina has a very nice gear box (unlike the 'clunky' toyota box) and the astina is a bit more out there in the styling. The mazdas seem like more of a sport car than toyota so they are a lot more fun (for me to drive). But in the end it comes down to taste, they are both very strong cars that will run forever.

Nate

PS - PICK THE ASTINA - PICK THE ASTINA - PICK THE ASTINA -
Dirver 101 has pulled this apart enough, i rate the astina, but i still choose a celica coz i like it more, the astina ****s over me in handling, but i'm not to sure about out draging me, or out breaking me, we'll have to see about that nate.
DunkyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #8
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
someone lock this thread Pleeeeeeease!

before it gets out of hand
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 07:24 PM   #9
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo
someone lock this thread Pleeeeeeease!

before it gets out of hand
It's not out of hand, if the participants keep their remarks civil, well reasoned and on topic this could be a valid debate.

I'm only warming up
Old 14-02-2004, 09:11 PM   #10
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Thanks for you coments driver 101,

I dont know where you pulled some of those comments from but it appears you forgot to mention a few things.

1. YOUR MUMS charade has a rather funny dent in the bonnet from when you UNDERSTEERED into a tree, the same dent that the insurance company wouldnt fix because they didnt beleive the story you told then (and your parents) about hitting a pole while dodging a 4wd in a shopping center. And now you arent allowed to drive the charade by youself - show off some great handling with your mum in the front seat hey??

2. The astina doesnt have a problem reving (in fact i will be hte fist to admit that if it didnt rev i wouldnt move) and you cant really compare the DT charade seeing you have never driven one. Also the whole radiator thingy wouldnt have happened if you didnt hit the above mentioned tree

3. You drive a corolla and admit its **** box (This was dunkymonkeys old car and he gave it to driver101 when he bought his celica) I say gave because you had no money to pay for it!!. Then you bought that gemini which i lent to money to buy (how was i so stupid???). The one you had to sell because lost your job

4. Since when does my sunroof leak?? it is the best sunroof out!! fair call one power window doesnt go down but im not really worried.

5. MR2 - Goes like a bat of hell my arse (HI AZA). It has no clutch and one of the pop-up headlights doesnt work so that cancels out the window on my car. Did i mention this MR2 has a pair of mazda speed seat covers????

6. Any gear box is better than the barinas!!! and this three car length thing is bull. You had half a car length on me and then said that i shouldnt be worried because any rear wheeler will get the jump on a front spinner

7. WRX rally car oh yeah the wrx experience, hellu the astina aint no rally car and i aint no rally driver.

8. The whole family car thing. The astina has four door and you you love it. You are constantly saying it is **** loads better than the celica's fall over the back seat thingy.

Look dude you are a way better driver than I will ever be, you have done some stuff that i didnt think could be done in car but if you feel that way about my car dont keep praising it in person then pay it out on a public forum (remember this is an astina site ... some people here drive astinas and love them as much as i do) All i was trying to do was comment on why i like the astina and why i prefer it over a corolla. Anyway no hard feelings but just remember I chose an asinta because i liked it and i stand by my desicion. (The fact that AS YET (yes this may / will change) it out performs our cars that it has been against (not your mums), is beside the point)

Anyways im out of this one for now but before i go may i say one thing

PS - Note to self - never tell your mates about forums where you talk about there cars
Old 14-02-2004, 09:26 PM   #11
DunkyMonkey

okay the Astina Vs Corolla,

the only corolla i would recommend someone after performance is the 1990 hatch with the 4AGE engine, its only a 1.6 and its pulls 100Kw form it, I do have a mate with one and its goes hard, if you weren't looking at that corolla ~CSX~ then i would recommend the astina. That’s just my opinion and mine alone.
Old 14-02-2004, 10:16 PM   #12
lamby1986
AstinaGT Regular

Car: wrx
As for an unbiased opinion, i think i can give one since the only two cars i've owned are a now writen of 93 toyota corolla and a 93 astina.

From the two i much prefer the astina for numerous reasons, with the handling factor being the major one. the rolla rolled around like a ten tonne truck, and had the acceleration of an ant. but even performance aside, the features that come with both are stacked into the favour of the mazda. And how could anyone pass up the coolness of pop up lights.

Although i should point out the age of the cars i drive is different to the market that you are argueing so im not sure how the newer models of either are, but i'd rather have my astina rather than the rolla back
#25 most posts! Mod list: painted black calipers, 14' alloys, dash mat!
lamby1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2004, 12:34 PM   #13
driver101

Sorry Guys

OK... i don't wanna turn this into a bitch forum... cause some really good points have been made about some really good cars... i've got nothing against the astina... infact i'd take it over any of the toyota's anyday... but the simple fact was the astina was not the be all and end all of performance... it mightn't be the best handler... or the quickest... but as a package... and 4 doors its by far the best... and firstly to clear the air... here's the truth to some of nate's latest points...

1. Yes... i crashed mum's charade... and yes it was from understeering... but it was on wet dirt... in the rain... and through a 90 degree corner... the truth was as it was wet it didn't flick as quick as it ussually does (scandanavian flick for those that know wot i'm on about... its a trick ya learn at rally school)... and yes... trying to correct it simply locked the front wheels and the thing went straight ahead... the fact i was doing 85k's cause i was too confindent... instead of the limit of about 80 didn't help... but for those of you who don't live on the limit... you havn't lived! Yes i still drive the charade by myself... as much as nate's would like to be my bum budy... and be with me 24/7... he'd really have know idea wot i drive and when!

2. Yes the insurance company believed our story... otherwise we would've been charged with fruad... the only knocked it back because orinally dad said he was in charge of the vehicle to save 600 bucks excess... and then we told the truth! Big mistake.

3. I never said the astina doesn't rev.. infact at schoolies i clearly remember it easily going past redline.. all i said was that the HD-E engine was revvy yet still reliable... just the an astina!

4. Yes i was only given my first car because i had no money... y.. because i spent it all on getting my pilot's licence... something u wouldn't be capable of anyway!

5. If you bag the gemini ronin will be onto you!

6. The sunroof thing... Aza told me... i've never seen it leak... though its not desinged really well cause you can't open it after its just rained... but hey... its still more than i'll ever have.

7. Um... u've kinda stuffed this one up... the MR2 goes like a bat outta hell with now clutch... so imagine wot it would do with a clutch...? And hey.. they're still some pretty fat seat covers...?

8. Rear wheeler... that's a given... points taken...?

9. Foor doors... tru... i can't argue with that... and like i said earlier... i'd take the astina anyday... i just needed to clear the air.

10. Y don't u ever wanna tell ur mates about where u pay out their cars... can't handle a little competition....?

Anyways... cheers guys... and sorry if i've spoilt the forum... I love the astina as much as the next bloke... but i'd still take a subbie anyday... take care guys... have a good one!
Old 15-02-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
you guys need to hug or somthing?
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #15
driver101

Tru Dat

Well said mate!
Old 16-02-2004, 01:10 AM   #16
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Quote:
you guys need to hug or somthing?
Thanks but no thanks :P
Old 16-02-2004, 01:12 AM   #17
DunkyMonkey

hey to the guy that owned the 93 corolla, was it a CSX, CS, or SE, coz the only one i would take is the CSX.
Old 16-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #18
Critter

Car: SP20
Hmmm......

In the first place whether "my car outdrags your car" or any thing along those lines is surely missing the point about why people become car enthusiasts.

If this is important, buy an old Holden V8 and trash it.

If however you wish to enjoy your driving, "smiles per mile" as it were then Astinas are up there.

I am not a Toyota fan in any way shape or form. I think they make excellent appliances, but then so does Kelvinator.

For style, some character, all-round performance and reliabilty, the Astinas are great things. Pride of ownership it's called.

For a "nice practical little reliable car" for your Mum, buy her a Corolla after she is happy with her fridge.....
Adjustable lowered suspension with monster brakes
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 11:17 AM   #19
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Car: 2005 SP23 Hatch
Send a message via MSN to MrShadow
Well, I was in the same position. A corrola or an astina?

It's pretty obvious which we chose, and here's the reasons:

* Better features (has more options as standard than a corrolla)
* Better looks (esp. the 96 Hardtop, mmm)
* Mazda's seem to hold their value rather well,e specially the BA series
* Looks better than any corrolla out their, more style (did I say that already?)
* It comes in more than one colour out of the factory ..|..
* The NRMA, our mechanic and my freinds all said "go the Mazda"
* I believe it handles better than the corrolla

Only real complaint (apart from not having enough money to mod it, and a few mechanical problems which all cars have) is the road noise.

That's why I now have one of the best looking cars on the road.

Confuscias say "man who go to sleep with itchy bottom, wake up with smelly finger"
MrShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #20
ezin
AstinaGT Regular

Yeah toyota makes a great engine! they r very smooth! I do like them! driven a fair few different ones! But the looks r bad bad bad! They took the word sports and jumped on it as hard as they could! As for the 141kw corrolla well i "choped" one LOL! by two car lenths at 160kmh!! The look on they guys face was ace! Then gave it another go at the next set of lights, same again hehehehe! They just dont have any torque down low! So i drove one to be sure! Poor old box changing at 8300! well thats gunna be screwed in no time + the shifting was notchy and vague! Handling was ok! could do with lowering! I would get a mazda just so u didnt look like another company car driver! + u will always have more money to buy ur next car in the future, The question is,do u want to loose money! Or find it?

The answer

Win Money-MAZDA
Loose money-Toyota

Be a winner! :mrgreen:
ezin is offline   Reply With Quote