Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Mr_Drift

Car: 94 mazda 323 astina
Post the brake and charge light stay on when i start my car

hey guys,
i was driving my 1994 ba astina to mt druitt and noticed that my brake and charge light was on while i was driving and has been staying on ever since, the thing is though this happened overnight the day before everything was fine(the brake light and the charge light was off), i thought it might have been a problem with the alternator, so i tested my battery while the car was on with the multimeter and it showed it was getting no charge, battery level kept dropping, so then i checked the positive on the alternator and it showed its giving 11.9 volts.

so im kinda confused as to what it could be.

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

thanks =]
Mr_Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
the break light AFAIK is also a low break fluid lvl indicator
Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Mr_Drift

Car: 94 mazda 323 astina
i found out it actually is the alternator, but i have come accross a new problem.
is there anyway to take out the alternator?, all the bolts are removed but its just a matter of actually finding a spot to pull it out of the engine without having to remove anything else, it just seems like there is absolutly no room

help and advice is much appreciated.

thanks guys
Mr_Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
After disconnecting it you have to take it out via the right side of the engine bay, or underneath if you can raise the car and take off parts of the underbody. I took it out the first way, which necessitates removing the battery, charcoal canister and from memory the fuel filter as well. It's a tight squeeze but after those items are removed it's not too hard to do. Took me about 25 minutes the second time I did it (since the replacement alternator I put in ended up being faulty as well).

For me, the hardest part by far was aligning the bottom part of the alternator with the mounting rack, and fitting the bolt through.
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
323shades

Car: car
Smile Charge light staying on

Make sure that your new alternator output 14.0 to 14.5 volts minimum. Not sure though, does your alternator have a black box ( dieode pack ) on it if so one of the diode might be open circuit, burnout, replace the Pack save you a fortune. Alternator by definition are very realiable.

It's normal the diode Pack that goes on them. The diode pack regulates the output voltage so there is minimal voltage spikes the the cars electric circuit.

Hope this help
323shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
a BA alternator is peice of cake not major issue just mitsubish crap. they get old they die they need a rebuild - rectifier is usually okay but the brushes and regulator dies.

being such a unit they will never put out full 75-85amp and 14.5 volts they might peck at such power but they are not consistant units. most of the later models ain't like the 80's one which gave out 12-13.8 volts but not amps. really weird but by 91 they said they solved it.

I asume it's a 1.8L - and in that case it's from underneither. on most of them 4 cylidner you just drop it. on my 626's nothing to remove maybe right hand side wheel.

all eaiser if you can get underneith it.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
Gentlemen, check the dates on this thread.
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1994, alternator, astina, charge, mazda