Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 03-11-2003, 10:28 PM   #1
cgunther

Car: 99 Legnum VR4
CAI - Conduite Style

I used 65mm condute, which is the same size as the existing piping (for a V6). I used 45 and 90 degree bends to make most of the shape, and kept the start of the factory piping, which plugs into the airbox nicely, and has a flexi rubber bit. I cut a hole next to the fog light as I didn't want to cut an obvious hole in my bumper (well not yet anyway). I originally removed the resonator through the guard, but had to pull the front bumber off to cut the hole (thanks for the tutorials).

Here some pics.

I had all the pieces lying around (thanks Dad), but you can get the stuff from Reece plumbing. I don't know if Bunnings stocks it anymore, as it isn't a common size.

I had some AG pipe, but it was really heavy duty stuff, and wouldn't bend easily. The conduite was much nicer.
cgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2003, 11:20 PM   #2
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
looks good. nice work
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
ABC

Send a message via MSN to ABC
Great work! Been thinking about replacing my ag pipe with the same sort of thing. Or making myself a fibreglass one.
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Nice job.
You make it look easy

Rod
Old 04-11-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
burvixen

cool idea gonna do that to sometime if you dont mind me stealing your idea......

looks really good
Old 04-11-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
submersiblepotato

If anyone wants to go overboard on a fully sik install I have 100mm diameter carbon fibre/kevlar tubing which would look amazing.

I'm in brizzy but i'd be happy to post ppl a couple of lenghts if ya want. I have about 1.5 mtrs of it.....

Give me a yell if ya want some

ciao
Old 05-11-2003, 09:03 AM   #7
cgunther

Next step is to mesh the bar. I was thinking about doing it when it was off, but I didn't have any mesh lying around.

How do you attach the mesh to the bar? Is it screwed, glued, fibreglassed? Has anyone meshed behind the fog lights, or is that just too hard?
Old 05-11-2003, 11:34 AM   #8
Pernod
AstinaGT Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Pernod
My mesh is simply screwed along the bottom (there was existing screws) and cable tied along the top and edges...
I dont have fogs (they are only on the v6)
Come visit me at http://s2.co.nz/
---------------------------------
Pernod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:35 PM   #10
fltchanz

Hey Mr Red V6,

Is that black bit of pipe the intake into the airbox?

Is the old standard intake a bit twisty? Does the old intake have any filter or is that just up to the box panel filter?

Cheers

Keep up the hard work.

Readers Ride http://www.astinagt.com/readers/ride...serid=fltchanz
fltchanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:04 PM   #11
cgunther

The black bit of pipe is the standard intake to the airbox. It bolts up nicely, and at the top is a rubber seal into the airbox. At the bottom is a rubber piece of hose (30mm long, with clamps either end), which flexes when the motor moves, so I decided I should keep that bit too. Then the pipe goes into the wheel arch, and into the factory resonator. I removed everything after the flexi rubber bit and used my own PVC pipe to the hole in my front bar.

There is no filter in the standard resonator, its only there to reduce noise. It has a foam muffler inside (like a hotdog exhaust - straight through), and a second chamber tacked on the side, which I don't really know what it does, as I haven't pulled it apart as it was glued - it does something to reduce the induction noise. The factory resonator seems to be fairly free flowing, but points up high into the wheel arch. It has no cold air feed from the front of the car, which is the biggest advantage of building your own.

The reason Mazda draw air from high in the wheel arch is to reduce the chance of taking water into the engine (don't compress the same as air). As you can see from the pictires, the water would have to travel through all that pipe, then straight up for 300mm. The filter is supposed to stop it too.

The piping I used was the same size as factory. I put my hand over the end while the car was reving, and although it was sucking air, it didn't seem like a hell of a lot. I don't know if there would be advantages to going any bigger. Most people don't recommend going over 2.5" for your exhaust - which happens to be 65mm (I know there are other considerations there).
Some of the others used bigger diameter AG pipe. AG pipe is rippled on the inside, which will disrupt the airflow. Then there is always the argment of bigger is better. I tried some other pipe (90mm I think), and it fit snuggly over the intake to the airbox, but only overlapped by 5mm, but still be doable.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #12
sirex

Looking good! I must do this one day, but I took (read: chopped) out the intake resonator today and that was enough fun for me for the day. But one day... :P

1993 V6 Lantis
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:22 PM   #13
fltchanz

Thanks for that. Yeah water intake would be bit of a no go, over here it tends to be a bit wet sometimes....

my other ride has a K&n type filter going before the intake to the engine (732 shp)

$6000 for the filter though! Ouch $50,000 for the kit.

Tends to have a bit more acceleration than the lantis :wink:

Readers Ride http://www.astinagt.com/readers/ride...serid=fltchanz
fltchanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:33 PM   #14
cgunther

If your worried about the water, you could get a feed by cutting a hole in the bonnet and mounting a wrx (or better looking) scoop on it. Much easier for me to say now that I've cut a hole in my bumper (in for a penny, in for a pound).

I need to get the K&N panel filter for my car, just don't have the spare $100 and a bit at the moment. Its meant to make more of a difference too.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:09 PM   #15
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
You could drill a 3-5mm hole in the 90 degree bend to expell any water, by the time it has reached the black section most of it would be on the conduit walls and draining down. You would need a couple of litres in the system to cause a blockage.

Rod
Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #16
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
thats one advantage of the corrugations of the Aggie pipe i found - it catches water! heh

but i like the plumbing pipe you've used - would be better with the smoother airflow of that

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote