Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
KL-ZE into BJ?

Sorry for the long post, but it's time to sort this out before I waste too much time on it.

My 2002 BJ Astina 1.8 has done 242,000km now and I'm starting to budget for an engine and gearbox rebuild or replacement. Engine and gearbox still fine, but how long can it last?

Every time I get fed up with the car, it's to do with the engine and/or computer. Sounds like an industrial sewing machine, it's slow, vibratesand it's hard to get much more power and if you do, the engine and gearbox have a reputation for being weak.

Yet I can never seem to bring myself to selling it. It's cheap to run, practical, and I like the handling. eg Chasing a 500hp VY SS ute up and down a mountain road the other day. The ute took off like a missile on the straights and left me like I was standing still, but on the corners the BJ would catch up and be all over it like a rash. It's just so nice to drive on the twisties. Great fun. By the time V8's fuel gauge read 100km to empty, I had used less than 1/3 of a tank. And my tyres would be lasting better too. That's the sort of thing that keeps happening and makes me think "Yeah, I'll keep it."

So, options?

1. Run it till it fails, then get used from a wrecker? Cheapest, quickest.

2. Swap for rebuilt? 3k for no upgrade in performance!

3. FS-ZE swap.

4. KL-ZE swap? More expensive and complicated, but, it's getting popular in North America, with good info now available and should actually be easier here thanks to RHD and OBD I. I love the sound and it is supposed to be a very smooth running engine. More power! 7,200? rev limit should get 100kph in 2nd gear = perfect for my use(50-100kph tight, twisty mountain runs). But how much effect would the extra 50ish kg have on handling and braking?

4 out of 5 QLD engineers I have asked have said they would approve it, provided it had stock emissions equipment and was of the same or later year. The only 2 possibilities I can find are:

The GW5R Capella(straight neck with VAF) finished production in 2002 and would be the easiest and closest to a straight fit. Unfortunately the GW5R is rare and expensive. Can't find any emissions data.

The TA5P Millenia (curved neck with MAF, -02 meets ADR 37/01, 03 is Low Emissions Vehicle with a bit less power, pretty sure it is OBD-II) finished in 03 and is much cheaper and common. Can buy a whole car for $1,500!(+freight etc). But it has different stuff on it(intake etc) due to the different chassis.

Options for KL swap?

1. Import front cut, wreck or whole car for changeover and see what fits?(would still need gearbox and driveshafts as GW5R and TA5P are auto only)

2. Buy engine package(inc harness, PCM, MAF)for 2k and find GW5R or TA5P specific emissions bits? Mix and match MX6(cooling, gearbox etc) and 2.0L Protege(axles) parts for the rest.

I know it can physically be done.

I know it will cost more than I think.

I know I could buy a faster car etc.

I want to know FOR SURE it LEGALLY be done. I want the police to be ok with it and to be covered by insurance should there be an accident. 4 out of 5 engineers said yes. 1 just said no to imported engines, end of conversation. AAMI just wants it to be roadworthy/legal. QLD mods holine was a bit vague and said the police might take issue with it due to emissions. Will speak to police soon.

Any ideas?
Enkei RPF1 15x7, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 205/50 R15, RDA slotted rotors, HPX pads.

SOLD

Last edited by Sleepy Gonzalez; 18-09-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links