Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
-dc-

Car: BA Hatch
Engineers Certificate

i am about to start a bp to bpt conversion and i just wanted to ask if it is essential to get an engineers certificate for this conversion. do all the people on here who have done this conversion gotten it? also i just wanted to know roughly how much they cost to get. thanx

MORE PARTS FOR SALE!!! Have a look!!
CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT!!
-dc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
-dc- There's aparently some loophole in the NSW regs that let you get away without one, BUT it depends on the workshop doing the Blue-slip, they certify it as a engine change of type-for-type and most won't do that as you're not goign BP N/A for BP N/A. It is in fact illegal.

However if you can get it done then you have a car that's legal in the eyes of the RTA until you get roadside inspected, and they get you over the pits for a full inspection to clear any random defect they find roadside.

You'll also find that the car is impossible to register in another state without the certificate. Sure you may not car, but it reduces the chance of selling the car if it ends up being a unique vehicle.

Why do we know this? We have a Turbo converted car that's got 4 years of paperwork done by shifty mechanics on the "you'll be right mate" basis. The car pretty much needs to be rebuilt from the ground up to get it to comply and be able to obtain an engineers certificate in the ACT (or NSW for that matter). The previous owner several tiems assured us the car was/is legal. Sadly when it came to the crunch he couldn't back it up and we're left in the lurch badly.

So no matter what _anyone_ tells you, take the time to talk to an engineer, do the job right, get it certified and you'll not have any headaches in the future.

Our experience will see us loose about $5K+ in repairs and rework on top of the purchase price of the car, plus it's off-the-road most of the time becuase we can't risk running around too much in a car that isn't anywhere near legal anywhere.

So in summary, get the Certificate, they're cheap for the peace of mind and minimal hassle in the future.

A.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
We have a Turbo converted car that's got 4 years of paperwork done by shifty mechanics on the "you'll be right mate" basis. The car pretty much needs to be rebuilt from the ground up to get it to comply and be able to obtain an engineers certificate in the ACT (or NSW for that matter). The previous owner several tiems assured us the car was/is legal. Sadly when it came to the crunch he couldn't back it up and we're left in the lurch badly.
Thats the Lynx yes... Damn feel for you. I actually had a sneeking feeling it was like that when I quized him about engineers and he said it was registered with that engine. I also was able to get a blue slip with a turbo motor and drove it around for years like that everything was safe as its my daily drive but I knew I would get defected if ever I was asked to pop the bonnet.
My age, driving record and a stealth install of intercooler and black i/c pipes is, I am sure how I got away with it for so long. After swapping in Jynx's motor with polished pipes and stuff I would not be able to dodgy a blue slip or expect to stay undetected by the police so have just done a cert it cost me $770 but I wasn't going to argue with nothing required to pass.

Last edited by BigMal; 07-07-2006 at 08:51 AM.
BigMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
yowch!sorry to hear about the misfortunes with the lynx have you still got the mx5 and xr6?
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Aaron
Stiff Member

Yeah pr1mo, we still have the MX5, and the XR6-T is still around only becuase of the problems with the Lynx.

Mal, you're right - and I have a few ideas as to why the car wasn't driven for the couple of years in the last owners hands now. Ohh well at least it's running pretty damn well these days. (lots of minor fixing has been done under the bonnet already)

I really really need to get a job to pay for the rest of it though.

A.

Last edited by Aaron; 06-07-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
What does it need to get through just in case I got any spares laying around that could help.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
-dc-

Car: BA Hatch
hey, thanks guys, i think i might as well get it, it sounds expensive but i think it is worthwhile getting it all check by the engineer and im sure it will pay for itself by saving me from defects and fines if i get pulled up by the authorities.

MORE PARTS FOR SALE!!! Have a look!!
CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT!!
-dc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:45 AM   #8
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Having seen idiots do all sorts of tricks and meeting ban engineers. you knwo rthe $500 hand shake type - yes a V8 can go into a 500KG car with no added strengthening.

In my advice is Do everything once then engineer itrego corrected it saves doing it all over again.

A mate spent $2000 alone in correcting a certificate that started at $500 to clear oversizes wheels etc.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #9
Aaron
Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMal
What does it need to get through just in case I got any spares laying around that could help.
We need:
* Cam gear cover (Nate was/is supplying this hopefully)
* Some springs to get the ride height back up and be properly trapped at full droop
* To hide the bleed valve
* Rip off the window tint (it's 20%)
* An engineers cert.

I think the rest is pretty much sorted as we've fixed the majority of minor wear & tear items except for the steering wheel ring being a bit unstable - you know how the plastic un-bonds and twists?

We've planted the wheels (which are too wide) ontot he MX5 with great results so they're not a problem.

Apparently there's a good engineer here in the ACT that's smart enough to see a safe conversion, check it properly and sign-off for under $500 but until we sort out the rest of the roadworthy items it's not worth chasing that down.

A.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

dan has cam cover and springs i think.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Yes, but i'm using the cam cover mike

and springs i've already offered.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
CHiMPY
mew?

Car: one with 4 wheels...
Send a message via ICQ to CHiMPY
heh.. good ol mike. Offering up everyone elses parts/services

"Verily, thou shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say unto thee, their mouths spout naught but excrement."
CHiMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
pr1mo

lol

chimpy is selling his services. reasonable rates. enquire within.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #14
CHiMPY
mew?

Car: one with 4 wheels...
Send a message via ICQ to CHiMPY
You can't afford my services mike.

"Verily, thou shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say unto thee, their mouths spout naught but excrement."
CHiMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I also have a set of 323F standard springs you can have for the price of postage (or wait until I'm up your way).