Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 09-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
-dc-

Car: BA Hatch
FMIC Problems

hi guys, im having a few dramas with the front mount intercooler i just got fitted its a GReddy one that measures 600x300x76, the problem is that i took it for a long drive up the highway and it started to overheat, i believe its because there wasnt enough air getting to the radiator because as soon as i put the stock i/c back on it was fine.

Is there anything i can do to overcome this problem other than fitting a smaller intercooler? or should i keep tha same size cooler but get one that isnt quite as thick? i wanna try and keep either this intercooler or one the same size just thinner as it saves me getting new piping fabricated or having to chop up all the custom i/c pipes i just got made.

thanks

dc

MORE PARTS FOR SALE!!! Have a look!!
CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT!!
-dc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
What sort of condition in the radiator in your car? It could be worthwhile getting it replaced (maybe switching to the slightly better two row Automatic model type at the same time) if it's old/manky.

The I/C will be cutting airflow, but as long as it's fins aren't blocked then it should be passing enough air through at speed. Does the car overheat if it idles or is drivin in traffic for a similar duration? I would think that without the airflow it would be worse in traffic.

What's the thermostat like? The Coolant? The radiator Cap?

Lets face it none of this stuff gets replaced half as much as it should, a new cap and thermostat, fresh coolant and you may see your problem go.

A.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
BigBoyLemonade
The Architect

Car: AUSDM S6 RX7
Send a message via ICQ to BigBoyLemonade
Yeah Aaron is right, it shouldn't be blocking to much air through, I would suggest getting the cooler system checked, you might have air bubbles in the coolant. Make sure you 'burp' the car properly if adding fluid leaving the cap off until the car reads warm on the guage and ensuring that the heater on full ball to make sure all the air is out of the system.

Infinite Networks- Creative Web design and powerful online application solutions
BigBoyLemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Oh yes it does make sense.
I'd just thought I'd add in mazda did added thicker radiators on just about all turbo versions. So it might be a soloution.
as I know a few people who have swaped over a few different motors and didn't add extra capacity found out wy it was done.

75mm or 3inch is quite a bit on small stock radiator if your still using your N/A one.
you might find it enough as most do but it's when you start smashing it all over park and your average temp is higher and if you add in corners - or say traffic lights fans dont' work like strong airflow at 60k's.
I have found over years a common problem with FMIC on factory non turbo cars and without upgraded radiators or support systems. especially taken to the track for a couple of laps. my own Mx-6 don't even get off cold side for at least 15mins warm up and it take a very very long time for the fans to kick in.
oh and if you need a cheap soloution for one if need I also say to some check on both Auto radiator fans are 90% of the time bigger or more powerfull or BOTH and so are the radiators and you just don't use the oil cooler in the bottom or side.

also dont' foget to seal the air flow, after going through such a thick cooler it might not want to go through the radiator and any other pockets of escape like gaps between the two will not help it.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
-dc-

hi, i had pretty much all that stuff checked but at the moment it just has the stock 1.8 BA hatch radiator which is in really good condition, i have the familia gtx one but i didnt get it put in, would it help if i used that one instead? my car seems to overheat after about an hr or so of driving, including on the highway, doing 60 in traffic and everything. i still have all of the A/C and everything connected, would that affect it at all? are their any radiators that you guys know of that are larger and would almost directly fit into the BA without too much custom work?

thanks for the help

Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
I replied to your PM and still recomend you change the thermostat. Yours is the first one I have heard of having temp issues know of at least 3 running the 600mm cores without heating problems.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
-dc-

ok, the thermostat and radiator cap are now changed, hopefully that will all help and its not some other problem!

thanks for the help guys